2021 Draft Thread

John232

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Eh...that's kind of playing the results though and we arent sure if RG3's results are based solely on play. If RG3 doesn't get hurt, I don't know that his career isn't the best in that class. I mean, that first year was incredible. I also don't know if it was a flash in the pan year either. Just impossible to say one way or the other. 

I’m referring to the story about how Snyder forced the RG3 pick when the Shanahans wanted Cousins, so the Skins took both. 

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

With 3 5th's, I fully expect us to make at least one move in the 2nd or 3rd round to move up higher or jump back into one of the rounds.  

That's silly talk. You obviously meant to say trade our 4th,6th and 7th for another 3 5ths. 5th round is Lynch round.

• Like 2

IDK how the value shapes up in the draft. But i personally wouldn't mind taking a pass rusher at 43 & then completely punting on defense until next year. I would really like to shore up the offense - another WR, RB & TE depth, a swing G & T. Basically, set up our rookie for maximum success. 

I'd re-sign Sherm to a 1 year deal for some CB depth

We still have a lot of talent on D - DL is stacked, LB corps is solid. Secondary is solid but its a lot of patchwork there outside of Ward & Moseley, but we could always focus on that next offseason. Moving on from Jimmy's contract allows us to target it in FA or with our future 2nd. 

37 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

IDK how the value shapes up in the draft. But i personally wouldn't mind taking a pass rusher at 43 & then completely punting on defense until next year. I would really like to shore up the offense - another WR, RB & TE depth, a swing G & T. Basically, set up our rookie for maximum success. 

We still have a lot of talent on D - DL is stacked, LB corps is solid. Secondary is solid but its a lot of patchwork there outside of Ward & Moseley, but we could always focus on that next offseason. Moving on from Jimmy's contract allows us to target it in FA or with our future 2nd. 

I dunno, our secondary is our biggest need for next season and moving forward. Moseley, while I like him, plays spotty and Verrett is still a liability in regards to injury and isn’t signed beyond this season. If anything happens to either of them, we are in BIG trouble. I would like 2 CBs taken this draft just to inject some talent/youth.

otherwise, I agree

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Will we see him more than just twice? I could see us being VERY active on Day 2. Or not very because we were VERY active on Day 1....

I'm not sure if we will to be honest. The goal will be to get more draft compensation next year and simply put, not a lot of roster spots available. I don't think we will end up with 10 players in this draft, may end up with like 7 or 8 instead. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not sure if we will to be honest. The goal will be to get more draft compensation next year and simply put, not a lot of roster spots available. I don't think we will end up with 10 players in this draft, may end up with like 7 or 8 instead. 

FTR, I think we only have 9 picks now. We had to give our 7th round pick to the Eagles for Goodwin

On 4/22/2021 at 8:58 PM, 49ersfan said:

What’s the deal with Sherman? Haven’t seen much besides him commenting on other people signing. Has there been any interest in him?

We don’t have many needs at this point. I think we should be very active moving around where there’s value for positions of need and make some moves to stack some picks for next year. Would be great to have another second next year so we have a possibility of getting back in the first or at least adding another potential starter at the top of the draft. 

18 minutes ago, straighthate said:

What’s the deal with Sherman? Haven’t seen much besides him commenting on other people signing. Has there been any interest in him?

We don’t have many needs at this point. I think we should be very active moving around where there’s value for positions of need and make some moves to stack some picks for next year. Would be great to have another second next year so we have a possibility of getting back in the first or at least adding another potential starter at the top of the draft. 

He said there is a team or two who want to wait until after the draft to see how the CBs end up shaking out.. my guess is it's between Dallas, NY, and San Fran

So I'm handling the Niners in a Collaborative mock on another site. Here's what I've done so far.

1 (3) Justin Fields / QB
2(27) Richie Grant / S
4 (5) Kary Vincent Jr / CB
4(12) Hunter Long / TE
5(11) Robert Hainsey / OT
5(25) Cornell Powell / WR
5(28)
5(36)
7 (2)

Anything I absolutely have to try and do with those last 3 picks?? I traded back in the 2nd to gain 4.5 and move up from the 6th, hence all those 5th's. Really considering OL D'Ante Smith at 5.28. Kind of Jaelon Darden vs D'Ante Smith. Just not sure about his scheme fit, he's currently listed at 294lbs. Probably take a CB again at 5.36 and BPA overall at 7.2...unless any suggestions sway me. 

@Forge

Edited by RTTRUTH
  • Like 2

Hard to know without knowing whose been taken but your plan overall seems decent.  

Smith would probably be good pick at 5.28. Drew Dalman might be a decent guy to keep in mind somewhere.

Otherwise I'd say BPA of anything if there is an outlier or RB/CB/LB

• Like 1