TNF: Bucs at Bears

Malfatron

winner  

38 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

The hottakes and recency bias, especially from @SkippyX remind me a lot of the Colts last year. Colts were 5-2. Everyone loved them. I said they were extremely overrated and would finish 8-8. Even made a thread on it when they were 5-2 after the Chief game which I’m sure you guys remember...and got battered by 10-15 posters, until the Colts finished 7-9.....

The Bears are not winning 11 games, I seriously doubt they even win 10. They are not that good of a team, just like the Colts last season. 

The way this forum over reacts to small sample sizes on teams and players has always amazed me greatly. Live in reality. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 hours ago, Starless said:

Only once in the past decade were the Patriots not among the least penalized teams in the NFL.

Grass is always greener, huh, Tom?

He traded discipline and consistency for flashy weapons....most of whom are injured.

Still wish him well though.

I have to mostly agree with @BayRaider here. The odds are, at the very least, against the Bears continuing this run. They're currently 4-1 despite allowing more yards than they've gained, allowing more yards per play, rush, and pass than they gain, they have a negative turnover differential, and only a +5 point differential. So many things about the team point towards a downward trend. It doesn't mean it's guaranteed, but it does make it incredibly likely.

And they've really been absurdly lucky so far, honestly. They've played unbelievably anti-clutch opponents so far. Atlanta squandered a 3 score lead because they're broken and don't understand how to play in the 4th quarter. They literally could've taken a knee on every 4th quarter play and won that game. Detroit dropped the game winning TD on their final drive. Tom Brady forgot what down it was. Even the Giants had the ball, driving, inside Chicago's 10, and just ran out of time. Their opponent's have thrown away ideal situations, repeatedly. 4 of their five opponents have topped 75 penalty yards. The Bears have recovered 2 out of the 3 fumbles their D has forced, while all 5 times the Bears have fumbled, the ball has bounced back their way. Opponents have lost 10 points on missed kicks. In all three of their pre-Tampa victories, this was actually the difference. Detroit and New York lost by 4, but ended with the ball well in field goal range, and could have settled for a victory field goal had they made the prior three, instead of running out of time going for the TD in the end. Atlanta missed both a FG and an XP, and either would've changed the win condition. I will concede, Santos also missed a field goal against NYG, so perhaps we can call that one a wash.

They have, in most statistical categories, been outperformed by their opponents thus far this season. They're winning more on the opposition choking is seriously meaningful ways, more than they are by actually outplaying anyone. That's....unlikely to continue. Honestly, even just the success rate in close games alone makes it unlikely to continue. Playing every game within 8 points and coming out 4-1 is very fortunate. Teams can sometimes maintain that over a season, but it rarely lasts long.

Maybe they improve, and don't have to rely on the mistakes of others quite so much, down the road. But if they don't, this kind of result will not last the whole year.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

For the Bears to make the playoffs, they need to seriously fix their run game.

Trade for Leveon Bell or somebody.

The run game had been pretty damn good until they faced the #1 and #2 rush defenses in the league.  And the back is 100% not the problem.  It's a mix of coach and OL.  Monty is the Bears best offensive player this year w/o question.  

Losing Daniels for the year is going to hurt.  He was becoming one of the best LGs in the game. 

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The run game had been pretty damn good until they faced the #1 and #2 rush defenses in the league.  And the back is 100% not the problem.  It's a mix of coach and OL.  Monty is the Bears best offensive player this year w/o question.  

Losing Daniels for the year is going to hurt.  He was becoming one of the best LGs in the game. 

a rb averaging under 4 ypc for his career is better than allen robinson?

Bears with another cheeky win gets them that much closer to the over on 8.5 Wins. Funny how with each win I get less confident in that wager😄

Is David Montgomery any good? Im happy with his fantasy output last night but I watch the guy and I don't see him do anything particularly impressive. Bears fans, fill me in. Do you see Chicago finding a new lead back next offseason ? 

55 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

Bears with another cheeky win gets them that much closer to the over on 8.5 Wins. Funny how with each win I get less confident in that wager😄

Is David Montgomery any good? Im happy with his fantasy output last night but I watch the guy and I don't see him do anything particularly impressive. Bears fans, fill me in. Do you see Chicago finding a new lead back next offseason ? 

He is more than just good, he always gains extra yards just on his own, never goes down on first contact.  Last year he had over 900 yards getting hit in the backfield quite literally every play.  You saw it several times this game where other RBs would be stuffed for losses and he still gets positive yards.  The fault w/ his production is mostly bc the coach pulls him out and puts in Patterson at RB waaaaaaaaay too much.  Monty should be touching the ball 20-25 times per game.  Excellent receiver out of the back field as well.  Doesnt miss protection assignments.  His only flaw is that he doesnt have great break away speed, which is why having Cohen change him up was working really well.  Monty wears defenses out and in the 4th qtr he is absurdly strong.  If you go back to the Giants tape he almost singlehandidly closed that game out.  He was getting big chunks on every carry.  Moving the ball down the field.  After a penalty negated another 10+ yard run for first down, and set the Bears back 10 yards, he then took a screen for 30.  Then for some inexplicable reason Nagy pulled him out and put Patterson in at RB, who instead of hitting the hole, stretched it to the outside and lost 5 yards.  Nagy then calls nothing but passes the rest of the way and the offense stalls.  

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Good news is outside of Kenny Clark there really isn't any great DTs left in the NFC North that are not bears. 

No but Aaron Donald is looming a few weeks away and Daniels was really good against him 2 years ago.  Hopefully Bars can get it together and Nagy helps him out.  Foles is basically a statue so you cant move the pocket away from him.  Will probably see a lot of Demeteius Harris to that side and let Leno help on AD

2 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

a rb averaging under 4 ypc for his career is better than allen robinson?

First off I love Arob, but he basically is responsible for 4 INTs this year, 2 of which should have been TDs.  You have to watch the games to see just what Montgomery means to the Bears and just how good he actually is.  If he was in a Shanahan offense he would be a star and considered on of the best in the game

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The Bears are not winning 11 games, I seriously doubt they even win 10. They are not that good of a team, just like the Colts last season. 

The way this forum over reacts to small sample sizes on teams and players has always amazed me greatly. Live in reality. 

The Bears were fired-up last night and played hard, that was fun to see. They will be in the playoffs. 

Nice long 10-day rest then go down to Charlotte and beat the Panthers.