What is Sam Darnold's Trade Value?

dll2000

14 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

They can even trade the pick and hedge their bet with a lower tier guy (who could produce)--like Ehlinger. 

That's what I'd do. Darnold hasn't done enough to prove to me he's a bust. And he does (inarguably, in my opinion) still have enough physical intangibles to suggest that he could still yet succeed. I think a lot of us here, consciously or not, agree with that, and that's why this thread is even a thing. 

If I'm the Jets, I keep Darnold and trade the pick. They already have a great draft bonanza ahead of them--add to it. 

That wouldn't be a bad move. 

If you have any questions about if Darnold can be successful watch the final 8 games from last season. 

I'd try to trade it to Jacksonville for their 1st, the Rams 1st, and the Vikings 2nd. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That wouldn't be a bad move. 

If you have any questions about if Darnold can be successful watch the final 8 games from last season. 

I'd try to trade it to Jacksonville for their 1st, the Rams 1st, and the Vikings 2nd. 

Exactly. Even if they didn't end up drafting a QB until the later rounds, or even at all, can you imagine how the Jets could improve their team with that? Wow. 

27 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That haul is the Goff trade. And that was unprecedented. No guarantees that someone trading up for Lawrence won't have a worse record than the Rams did--thus, shrinking the return. 

Also, no guarantee the Jets end up with the worst record. 

And no, you weren't being "conservative", you were being hopeful. There's a big difference. 

By your own admission, that was the cost for Goff and Lawrence is considered a better prospect than Goff. It's a baseline. It kinda goes without saying that if the team trading up has a higher value pick then there would be less ancillary picks thrown in.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Trading back for Fields or even Lance wouldn't be a horrible move. But keeping Darnold? LOLLLLLL

I wonder if Darnold's struggles have anything to do with a bottom 3 OL, Frank Gore as his feature back, and his top 3 WR's being Chris Hogan, Jeff Smith, and Braxton Berrios when he has played this year.

• Like 1

Can we start a petition to ensure Lawrence does NOT end up on the New York Jets? I actually want to see QB talent flourish, not turn into trembling cocoons chucked on a fire heap. 

I do suspect NYJ will find a way of messing the the T-Law sweepstakes up though, somehow. Like...keeping Darnold and trading for a haul. lol. 

I think it is really simple. If you get the number 1 pick you take Trevor Lawrence. If you are picks 2 and lower you keep Darnold and hope the next HC can change him. The kid is only 23 years old with 3 years of starting under his belt. Remember 2 of those years are with Gase, If the Jets do trade Darnold it will be at least a 2nd and a few more picks. I can see a team giving up a late 1st for him. I really want the Jets to keep Sam. I think he has some good things going and is so young. Remember he is the youngest starting QB ever in week 1 his rookie year. This kid is the same age as a red shirt senior in college. 

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Someone will probably trade for him for way more than he's worth.

Because hes much better than you think.  He's had terrible coaching, the worst supporting talent we've seen in years.  No one would look good on the jets. Put him on a team like the saints, watch him star.

The jets issues weren't qb, its that we have a extremely bad team around the qb and the worst hc in football.  

If we go 0-16 and can get Lawrence,  obviously economically grab the rookie qb and build the roster. 

Do what they didn't do with Darnold. At least they have a absolute stud at LT now to build around.

People saying he won't fetch a 1 or 2 are wrong I think.   I say that without even really having watched him yet.

I just know it only takes two teams bidding or even one team that believes it is bidding against another team to drive it up to a 1 or at least a 2.

I think Jets should consider trying to get more value by pushing any trade pick to 2022 assuming they have 1st over all.    It will spread out number of players you have to resign at same time and given mess of 2020 college season you should get better scouting in.   

Or they should consider trading for some established players with years left on their contract - particularly linemen.

I know @drew39kwants to pass on Lawrence, but off top of my head I don't see any team in running for #1 aside from Bengals actually doing that.   Lawrence is most hyped prospect since Luck right or wrong.   Teams aren't going to pass on him, especially not Jets.   There is just no way.  

Even Bengals might shock and trade Burrows for picks and take Lawrence.

I think the Jets could still get a decent draft pick for Darnold if they were to trade him, remember it only takes one team to fall in love with you and you have to think there were many coaches and GMs before the draft that really wanted Darnold. Obviously his play hasn't been what was expected but we also know his situation is not very good and he is only 23 years old so there is plenty of time for a good staff to help him turn his career around...so what teams might be interested?

Colts - Rivers looks to be about done and they might not pick high enough in the draft to grab one of the big 3 rookie QBs in next years draft

Falcons - Need to start looking at a replacement for Matt Ryan but they should be picking Top 5

Football Team - This staff looks to be done with Haskins

Lions - They will be bringing in a new staff I would assume, maybe trade for Darnold and have him sit behind Stafford for one season if they cant trade him

Saints - Need to find a replacement for Brees but maybe Winston is their guy?

Bucs - You would think Brady is only going to play 1-2 more years

49ers - It doesn't seem Kyle Shanahan is fully in love with Jimmy G

Patriots - Cam seems like a good fit there, I would think they would sign him to a 2-3 year deal but if not then maybe they look at Darnold

Jags - Should be picking high enough for a top rookie QB plus Minshew has had his moments

Broncos - Lock has already had a couple injuries in his short career, he will need to show signs of being the guy the rest of this season of they could maybe look to find someone new

I think there are enough options out there that someone will offer a decent draft pick for him

Edited by TakeTheBallDeep
  • Like 1