Texans Head Coach Search

amazingandre

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

There will not be a more appealing job than Houston.

Eh... That LAC job looking really nice once Lynn is fired. Young franchise QB on rookie deal, two great WRs and a great TE for them to throw to, good defense with one of the top 10 pass rushers in the NFL in Joey Bosa... Beef up the OL and get the playcalling corrected and you have a team that can compete in a tough AFCW.

Downside is that Los Angeles (and California, actually) doesn't care about the Chargers and the Spanos family is incredibly cheap - it's going to be the lowest paying job of all the openings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eh... That LAC job looking really nice once Lynn is fired. Young franchise QB on rookie deal, two great WRs and a great TE for them to throw to, good defense with one of the top 10 pass rushers in the NFL in Joey Bosa... Beef up the OL and get the playcalling corrected and you have a team that can compete in a tough AFCW.

Downside is that Los Angeles (and California, actually) doesn't care about the Chargers and the Spanos family is incredibly cheap - it's going to be the lowest paying job of all the openings.

will a new HC want to compete with the chiefs though?

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

will a new HC want to compete with the chiefs though?

If a new HC doesn't want to compete against KC... they don't deserve to be a HC, period. (Especially a guy like Bienemy, who already knows that KC team very well).

This is one of 32 jobs in the world. You go into it thinking "Everyone's on notice - I'm here, so you're done," or you don't survive. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If a new HC doesn't want to compete against KC... they don't deserve to be a HC, period. (Especially a guy like Bienemy, who already knows that KC team very well).

This is one of 32 jobs in the world. You go into it thinking "Everyone's on notice - I'm here, so you're done," or you don't survive. 

yeah i was playing devil's advocate.   the chargers job is very attractive. thats why im hoping lynn doesnt get fired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

NFL tweak its rules, and starting tomorrow teams can start requesting interviews of coaching candidates from their respective teams. Now they still have to wait till both teams seasons have concluded to hold the interview, but we should get a better picture of who’s in our sights 

We better not screw this up. 

Wonder if it applies to GM candidates too

5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Now we are interviewing Marvin Lewis.   SMH

It's not like anyone hires the first or second guy they chat with... So it's good to get these interviews out of the way now, so you can figure out what questions to ask when the real candidates come in.

All things considered, I am not very high on Lewis or Jim Caldwell... but I'm not low on them either. To be honest, I'd love either on the team in that "Special Consultant" role Romeo Crennell was in with BoB; The "big three" we're looking at have a combined zero years experience as a HC, at ANY level. Giving them a HC gig without an experienced figure is akin to driving without a seatbelt - sure, you CAN and you could probably do it with no real issues. However, one accident could turn into a disaster without the right guidance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tab said:

I think Saleh tops Bienemy for me as of right now, I just really like how competitive he’s kept their D when playing divisional games. But I wouldn’t be mad if we picked either. 

i'm starting to lean that way too, as long as he can get a top OC to help on offense. I like what Saleh brings and think he would be a great leader. If someone can keep the offense performing well while he fixes the defense, I could see it happening. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 9:01 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

There will not be a more appealing job than Houston.

Jacksonville has entered the chat...

Once-in-a-generation QB on the way, two more picks in the top 64, $100mm in cap space, young talent up at WR, RB, DE, LB and CB, a patient owner...

I think Jax just took a step forward in the pecking order.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Jacksonville has entered the chat...

Once-in-a-generation QB on the way, two more picks in the top 64, $100mm in cap space, young talent up at WR, RB, DE, LB and CB, a patient owner...

I think Jax just took a step forward in the pecking order.

As of now, we actually have 5 picks in the top 65. Obviously one will be used on Lawrence.

It is a very appealing job but so is the Texans job considering you already have a franchise QB in place. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

As of now, we actually have 5 picks in the top 65. Obviously one will be used on Lawrence.

I completely forgot about the Yannick trade/picks. I was basing this off of Jalen Ramsey only. So, that's a nice collection of picks...

11 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

It is a very appealing job but so is the Texans job considering you already have a franchise QB in place. 

I can agree to this, it'll be a nice rivalry between us for the next decade. A far cry from the Matt Schaub v David Garrard days.

On topic - I read this today, and my thoughts on Robert Saleh are increasing:

https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2020/12/28/22201822/four-takeaways-from-the-49ers-win-over-the-cardinals-your-time-here-is-done-saleh

Despite fielding backups at each level, the 49ers entered Week 16 tied for the fewest missed tackles in the NFL. Pro Football Reference has San Francisco averaging just over two missed tackles a game.

Prepared. That’s the best way I could describe Saleh. He always has this defense ready to play. If you hadn’t watched the 49ers, you wouldn’t think they were down multiple starters. Sound tackling, minimal coverage busts, and base level execution are why the Niners defense has remained a top unit in 2020.

When I say base level execution, Azeez Al-Shaair is jumping into throwing lanes to take away Murray’s first read. Tarvarius Moore aggressively fits the run in the correct spot. At the same time, defensive lineman Alex Barrett, who has been re-signed and released numerous times this season, held his own on Saturday. That’s thanks to being prepared, and it starts from the top down.

Given where our defense is - mental errors, execution errors, lack of urgency, lack of fundamental defense - Saleh seems like a Godsend. I mean, doesn't the excerpt above just sound mouth wateringly good? His guys are prepared, his guys are smart, his guys make basic, consistent and routine plays every down, every game. When was the last time you could say that about a Texans defense? Maybe Wade's 2nd year here in the Kubiak era?

When you have a defense that let Brandon Allen throw for 371/2 TDs, you have more than just a scheme issue - you have an execution issue, you have a mental issue. Saleh has a reputation for correcting these issues, and he doesn't need a gaggle of FRPs and high priority FAs to get this done. He gets guys to buy in and execute, whether it's Richard Sherman or something called Azeez - that's HUGE.

While it's easy to see the correlation on defense, it's a cultural change. He'll get the offense living to this standard as well. It's cliche, but it's a commitment to excellence, a commitment to consistency - and THAT is the biggest need in this Texans locker room, that's what JJ was heated about. There no commitment to excellence... and it shows up on game day. Brandon freaking Allen.

Give me Saleh, give him a coordinator from Shanny's staff - Matt LaFluer as OC, John Benton back to Houston as an OL coach/Assistant HC, DeMeco Ryans as DC (who wouldn't love that?) and bring in Marvin Lewis as a "Special Consultant" who can work with the HC and GM. 

This works for me. Watson and Co will do their thing (in an offense derived from lil' Shanny's philosophy, no less) leaving Saleh and a Texans legend in Ryans to rebuild this defense from the fundamentals on up...

• Like 3

On 12/29/2020 at 4:40 AM, ET80 said:

I completely forgot about the Yannick trade/picks. I was basing this off of Jalen Ramsey only. So, that's a nice collection of picks...

I can agree to this, it'll be a nice rivalry between us for the next decade. A far cry from the Matt Schaub v David Garrard days.

On topic - I read this today, and my thoughts on Robert Saleh are increasing:

https://www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2020/12/28/22201822/four-takeaways-from-the-49ers-win-over-the-cardinals-your-time-here-is-done-saleh

Despite fielding backups at each level, the 49ers entered Week 16 tied for the fewest missed tackles in the NFL. Pro Football Reference has San Francisco averaging just over two missed tackles a game.

Prepared. That’s the best way I could describe Saleh. He always has this defense ready to play. If you hadn’t watched the 49ers, you wouldn’t think they were down multiple starters. Sound tackling, minimal coverage busts, and base level execution are why the Niners defense has remained a top unit in 2020.

When I say base level execution, Azeez Al-Shaair is jumping into throwing lanes to take away Murray’s first read. Tarvarius Moore aggressively fits the run in the correct spot. At the same time, defensive lineman Alex Barrett, who has been re-signed and released numerous times this season, held his own on Saturday. That’s thanks to being prepared, and it starts from the top down.

Given where our defense is - mental errors, execution errors, lack of urgency, lack of fundamental defense - Saleh seems like a Godsend. I mean, doesn't the excerpt above just sound mouth wateringly good? His guys are prepared, his guys are smart, his guys make basic, consistent and routine plays every down, every game. When was the last time you could say that about a Texans defense? Maybe Wade's 2nd year here in the Kubiak era?

When you have a defense that let Brandon Allen throw for 371/2 TDs, you have more than just a scheme issue - you have an execution issue, you have a mental issue. Saleh has a reputation for correcting these issues, and he doesn't need a gaggle of FRPs and high priority FAs to get this done. He gets guys to buy in and execute, whether it's Richard Sherman or something called Azeez - that's HUGE.

While it's easy to see the correlation on defense, it's a cultural change. He'll get the offense living to this standard as well. It's cliche, but it's a commitment to excellence, a commitment to consistency - and THAT is the biggest need in this Texans locker room, that's what JJ was heated about. There no commitment to excellence... and it shows up on game day. Brandon freaking Allen.

Give me Saleh, give him a coordinator from Shanny's staff - Matt LaFluer as OC, John Benton back to Houston as an OL coach/Assistant HC, DeMeco Ryans as DC (who wouldn't love that?) and bring in Marvin Lewis as a "Special Consultant" who can work with the HC and GM. 

This works for me. Watson and Co will do their thing (in an offense derived from lil' Shanny's philosophy, no less) leaving Saleh and a Texans legend in Ryans to rebuild this defense from the fundamentals on up...

I am starting to lean this way too. It would also make a nice story considering Saleh started his NFL career in Houston and it would be great to see DeMeco come with him.

My biggest thing with a coach is that I want whoever is calling plays to be innovative. They have a generational talent in Watson and for the past 4 years he has been stuck in this vanilla offense (since BOB left it has gotten slightly better). I feel like Saleh coming over from a very innovative offensive mind will realize this and make sure to set Watson up with someone who can help him realize his full potential. 

• Like 2