Nagy needs to hand over play-calling duties.

JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If the offense looks way better on Monday then this is only going to beg the question why it wasn't done sooner.

I think it's a good move.

I don't think it will make a big difference in the end. Might get a bit better at sticking to things that work at the moment before the defenses adjust but the talent level is still really poor. They've still been running bad reps in practice and have been doing it for half the season, so unless that gets fixed - and I don't Nagy will let Lazor just drastically switch up how the offense is worked in practice- then you're basically hoping for situational awareness and adjustments. Execution will still suck. I hope I'm wrong.

Sadly if Lazor makes the offense respectable he might get a HC job elsewhere, leaving the Bears back as at square one. Lol. 

Bit torn on this myself...

On one hand Nagy had been awful at play calling. On the other, he handed the reigns to Lazor hasn't shown any ability to do that or improve the OL play this year, and might give us that super minor nudge to make us win this game, which I actually don't want (because I want to lose out and get a better draft slot for a QB), and have zero issue seeing this entire staff fired. 

Edited by Epyon

17 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If the offense looks way better on Monday then this is only going to beg the question why it wasn't done sooner.

I think it's a good move.

It definitely should have been sooner, but i wouldn’t use monday as a litmus test just given the Vikings defense.  Hunter out for the year, Nguakwe (sp?) traded away, and they’re down to like their 6th string corners.  It wouldn’t surprise me if the bears still laid an egg however.  

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I don't think it will make a big difference in the end. Might get a bit better at sticking to things that work at the moment before the defenses adjust but the talent level is still really poor. They've still been running bad reps in practice and have been doing it for half the season, so unless that gets fixed - and I don't Nagy will let Lazor just drastically switch up how the offense is worked in practice- then you're basically hoping for situational awareness and adjustments. Execution will still suck. I hope I'm wrong.

Sadly if Lazor makes the offense respectable he might get a HC job elsewhere, leaving the Bears back as at square one. Lol. 

14 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

It won’t. There is still a massive lack of talent. 

I think (hope) it'll at least make a difference with getting the right  personnel groupings in the game and less confusion amongst the players. Also should allow Nagy to focus more on situational football and time management ..two areas where he is severely lacking. We'll see. Cant hurt to try though.

I wonder if what played into this decision is Nagy thinking he's screwed either way with this offense so it's just damage control at this point or he realized that maybe he's holding the O back from being better than they have showed.

OR if someone higher up forced it on him...

I can't believe he brought it up on his own accord. I can't believe he stood up there like a man and neutered himself for the betterment of the team.

1. That's a ******* man right there. I'm proud of him as a head coach.

2. If Bill Lazor makes this offense take off...

I think, at this point, he knows the offense is bad enough that the entire staff might get canned.

Whether that's his fault or not, I'd wager Pace and Nagy had a meeting where they came to the mutual conclusion that something, ANYTHING, has to change for them to both retain their jobs this offseason.  Nagy having the offense be this bad and refusing to make a change would get him canned, and Pace having Nagy let the offense be that bad would have gotten him canned.

Desperation can be a hell of a motivator.