Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

I guess people are questioning Fields work ethic. I honestly have no idea whether it’s true or not. But I can say this...some people work very hard while on the field, but they don’t put in the work during the offseason and while not on the field. So just because Fields played through a rib injury doesn’t necessarily mean that he has a great work ethic. They aren’t necessarily related. 

But boy Mac Jones is fat. Hard to say that Fields doesn’t have a great work ethic but they in the same breath not voice the same concern for Mac Jones who clearly doesn’t do everything it takes to be in shape. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I guess people are questioning Fields work ethic. I honestly have no idea whether it’s true or not. But I can say this...some people work very hard while on the field, but they don’t put in the work during the offseason and while not on the field. So just because Fields played through a rib injury doesn’t necessarily mean that he has a great work ethic. They aren’t necessarily related. 

But boy Mac Jones is fat. Hard to say that Fields doesn’t have a great work ethic but they in the same breath not voice the same concern for Mac Jones who clearly doesn’t do everything it takes to be in shape. 

The guy that brought that concern to the media has already back-tracked on that and even reached out to Justin Fields personally. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Justin-Fields-NFL-Draft-2021-Dan-Orlovsky-work-ethic-reach-out-after-comments-Ohio-State-quarterback-Ryan-Day-163681554/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

NVM, it was already covered

12 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

can somebody tell me why Mac Jones isn't just Andy Dalton?

He has less experience ? 

But honestly... He throws a better deep ball. After that? Eh. There are sight variations in play but its probably the bottom ish of his comp range, not that far off. 

I think Mac is a lat-ish first round qb type, can get pushed up to the middle because of position. The idea of fun going top ten, let alone top 3 is mind boggling to me

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

He has less experience ? 

But honestly... He throws a better deep ball. After that? Eh. There are sight variations in play but its probably the bottom ish of his comp range, not that far off. 

I think Mac is a lat-ish first round qb type, can get pushed up to the middle because of position. The idea of fun going top ten, let alone top 3 is mind boggling to me

he maybe throws a better deep ball, but watching a lot of his deep connections, a vast majority (not all) were where Waddle/Smith/Ruggs cleared their defenders by 2+ yards... didnt require pinpoint placement, was able to just leave some air under it.

i dno, maybe i'm being a bit uncharitable with the Dalton comp, but Dalton himself was an early second round pick, so its not a huge insult for a prospect. but i just dont think his tape is as impressive as Matt Ryan's coming out of college, for instance

Edited by Turnobili

11 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Fields became a vegan so he could be in better shape for the season after losing to Clemson, he was the voice that got the BigTen to actually play a football after he publicly started a petition and he twice suffered in-game injuries (MCL/Ribs) only to return to each game and lead OSU to wins.

I think the issue people have here is because hes quiet. He's not a huge personality so people don't know a ton about who he is so they are quite literally making ish up just to have something to put on the 'cons' list.

It's also completely idiotic to think somebody within OSU would leak anything that would hurt his draft stock or anything that they could potentially use to sell future recruits on. They are a recruiting powerhouse, nobody in that building is saying anything that would knock Fields out of the top 10 picks if they can sell a future QB prospects on "look how high he went in the draft, if you come here that could be you too" blah.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Forge said:

He has less experience ? 

This is all just a smokescreen for the 49ers to take Lance/Fields. I think Jones' absolute ceiling is Kirk Cousins. No idea how/why the 49ers would trade that much for a guy with a seemingly limited ceiling.

• Like 1

What I do like about Jones is that check-downs really do feel like a last resort. He doesn't throw them because he's rushed or too scared to hang in there - when he throws a check down it's because it's the smart or last option. 

Of course this could be because Bama gave him a great arm-chair ride, but still - this is where I think he's different from Dalton. He's more aggressive and his anticipation throwing is good. Better at seeing things, I'd say.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is all just a smokescreen for the 49ers to take Lance/Fields. I think Jones' absolute ceiling is Kirk Cousins. No idea how/why the 49ers would trade that much for a guy with a seemingly limited ceiling.

I still believe that the pick is fields/ Lance, but nobody should rule out Jones at all. Shanny doesn't care about what he's giving up for his guy as long as it's his guy. If Mac Jones is his guy, don't doubt for a second he's doing this

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

100% this, I just think they are doing their due diligence with Jones to make sure he isn't better than Fields/Lance.

21 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

100% this, I just think they are doing their due diligence with Jones to make sure he isn't better than Fields/Lance.

Right, there is going to be a QB who slips--and my bet is everyone is using Jones as a smokescreen for who they really want. But after the Panthers trade yesterday, its going to be a game of chicken between Denver/New England on who trades up maybe to 4-5 to grab a guy. 

I can also see NE trading to #8 to the Panthers now in front of Denver to get either Jones or whoever is falling between Lance/Fields.

Once that pick gets to #5, its going to be really fun to see the positioning of DEN/NE in how they attack who is slipping. Do you risk it and stay put and hope a guy like Lance/Fields slips to you at #9? or do you get paranoid that NE is going to jump and offer whatever the Bengals ask for at #5 to move up and not take the chance?

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1