Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears top guys were at Lance's first Pro Day.

Yeah, this is almost explicitly for the niners as I don't believe that they sent a single person to his pro day the first time because it happened before they traded up. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, this is almost explicitly for the niners as I don't believe that they sent a single person to his pro day the first time because it happened before they traded up. 

The Bears were in Alabama and not at the Fields Pro Day 1, they were at Pro Day 2.

I think the only teams going to both are the 49ers because they are essentially running these like a private workout.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He isn't. 

You’re not gonna be happy with Mac Jones career. 

Had a similar grade on Dwayne Haskins and Daniel Jones who should have never been anywhere close to the 1st Round, nor the top half of the 2nd. 

Mac Jones is one of the most overhyped and overrated prospects of the past several years.

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re not gonna be happy with Mac Jones career. 

Had a similar grade on Dwayne Haskins and Daniel Jones who should have never been anywhere close to the 1st Round, nor the top half of the 2nd. 

Mac Jones is one of the most overhyped and overrated prospects of the past several years.

I can tell you I would be even less happy with Trask's career. He's over-hyped as well. People seemed to shut up about him after the Cotton Bowl embarrassment. Sure, Florida was short-handed, big time. However, those INTs and incompletions were largely Trask's fault and less on his WRs/TEs. Don't ever stare down your primary target. 

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I can tell you I would be even less happy with Trask's career. He's over-hyped as well. People seemed to shut up about him after the Cotton Bowl embarrassment. Sure, Florida was short-handed, big time. However, those INTs and incompletions were largely Trask's fault and less on his WRs/TEs. Don't ever stare down your primary target. 

I think they will have pretty similar careers as starters in that 20-32 range. I may have a Late 2nd on Trask and Early 3rd on Jones but only separated by like 6 spots. Neither will be good in the NFL. 

On 4/16/2021 at 1:59 PM, NYRaider said:

How did Mac Jones rise so highly during the pre draft process? During the season wasn't he viewed by most as a 2nd/3rd round pick?

Anyone who was paying attention to the 11 YPA knew his stock was soaring, identical to Zach Wilson. Both of those guys established that range midseason and stayed there. It was no different than Burrow last season. I was mentioning the 11 YPA for Burrow on several sites. 

People obsessed with subjectively evaluating every play and every trait are whiffing the big picture. Are we really going to have ongoing examples of 11 YPA guys who are dismissed to second tier during the regular season, then we're supposed to be shocked at "climbing" the boards during spring? Be my guest. 

Jalen Hurts was 11 YPA in 2019 also. If he had been a fresh face then he would have been drafted extremely high also. But scouts were understandably wary because Hurts hadn't been anything close to Tua's 11 YPA at Alabama, and Oklahoma just had consecutive 11 YPA guys in Mayfield and Murray. Double dose of evidence that it might be the Sooner system more than Hurts himself. But if that draft were held again Hurts would go much higher.

Mac Jones actually benefits from the Hurts example. Hurts averaged slightly less than 8 YPA during his two seasons as starter at Alabama. 

Daniel Jones has never averaged 7 YPA in any season, college or pro. Career 6.4 YPA at Duke. Jones remains the most illogical first round quarterback pick in modern history. I can't see it ever being topped. 

If the 49ers don't go with Mac Jones I'll be less surprised at Lance than Fields. Jones is the guy who if you can translate his college instincts and timing to the NFL you've really got something, no matter what it looks like from an athletic standpoint. Lance is a gamble on greatness. Fields is too much in the middle, with definitive strengths and weaknesses that don't look like they are going anywhere. I agree with the Charle Casserly perspective that opinion is so mixed on Fields that if any quarterback slips it will be him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That's incorrect. One INT was due to a freshman WR running the wrong route. Another INT bounced off the TE's hands. Trask's throw was a tad high, but it was very catchable. My recollection is that the third INT was his fault, but I'd have to watch again. And there are plenty of scenarios where staring down your primary target is fine.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's incorrect. One INT was due to a freshman WR running the wrong route. Another INT bounced off the TE's hands. Trask's throw was a tad high, but it was very catchable. My recollection is that the third INT was his fault, but I'd have to watch again. And there are plenty of scenarios where staring down your primary target is fine.

Pretty certain many coaches would disagree with that right there. Always look off, always try to misdirect the D. Always. 

57 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Pretty certain many coaches would disagree with that right there. Always look off, always try to misdirect the D. Always. 

No, you don't always do it. It's a waste of time when the DB has his back to the QB and the safety isn't in position to be involved in the play. It makes sense when you have eyes on the QB and need to move defenders. But that's not every play. And Trask, while not perfect with his eye discipline, actually uses his eyes well to move defenders.

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Apparently Justin Fields is battling epilepsy. Doesn't seem like a huge deal, doctors feel he'll outgrow it and it hasn't affected him from a football standpoint, but interesting wrinkle. 

I'm not a doctor, but I don't see how combining epilepsy with hits to the head is a good combination

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Apparently Justin Fields is battling epilepsy. Doesn't seem like a huge deal, doctors feel he'll outgrow it and it hasn't affected him from a football standpoint, but interesting wrinkle. 

I would not take him in the first 19 picks.

• Like 2