Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

You know it’s a good QB class when no one is angrily arguing someones gonna bust. Last year you had big Tua, Herbert, and Love haters who made it very known. 2019 you had big haters of Haskins and Jones who made it known. 2018 you had big Allen and Rosen haters. 2017 you had big Trubisky haters. 

This year it seems like the Top 4 QBs being solid prospects is basically a universal agreed-upon thing. The most you’ll see is some people saying Lance is a bit scary, but no one making a bold claim and calling him a future bust. 

Really solid Top 4 QB Prospects. 

Edited by BayRaider

29 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You know it’s a good QB class when no one is angrily arguing someones gonna bust. Last year you bad big Tua, Herbert, and Love haters who made it very known. 2019 you had big haters of Haskins and Jones who made it known. 2018 you had big Allen and Rosen haters. 2017 you had big Trubisky haters. 

This year it seems like the Top 4 QBs being solid prospects is basically a universal agreed-upon thing. The most you’ll see is some people saying Lance is a bit scary, but no one making a bold claim and calling him a future bust. 

Really solid Top 4 QB Prospects. 

You put Lance anywhere but SF and I think there's more reservations/"potential bust" talk.

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You put Lance anywhere but SF and I think there's more reservations/"potential bust" talk.

I'd throw Atlanta in the mix as well. Would get to sit behind Ryan for a year, have a good offensive mind with a friendly QB system in Smith, and would be guaranteed to have at least one great weapon in Ridley. With that being said, I don't think Atlanta even gets the chance to take him. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

JT’s Top QBs:

1) Justin Fields

2) Trevor Lawrence

3) Trey Lance

4) Zach Wilson

5) Kellen Mond

6) Mac Jones

Totally 100% disagree with this list, but I figure some might find it interesting. 

Kyle Shanahans draft board as well 

Edited by AntonChigurh

Just now, swoosh said:

I'd throw Atlanta in the mix as well. Would get to sit behind Ryan for a year, have a good offensive mind with a friendly QB system in Smith, and would be guaranteed to have at least one great weapon in Ridley. With that being said, I don't think Atlanta even gets the chance to take him. 

It definitely would be a QB friendly environment but it wouldn't be in the same realm for me as going to SF. That is far and away his best landing spot to succeed. 

35 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It definitely would be a QB friendly environment but it wouldn't be in the same realm for me as going to SF. That is far and away his best landing spot to succeed. 

That's fair and I agree SF is the best spot for him, but it's not enough to move the potential bust needle for me if he ends up in Atlanta over SF. Just my opinion of course. I'm pretty high on Lance, I think he's going to be really good. But my confidence is also due to me thinking he'll end up in a good situation. If he falls past 4, I might sing a different tune. 

Edited by swoosh
Lance

33 minutes ago, swoosh said:

That's fair and I agree SF is the best spot for him, but it's not enough to move the potential bust needle for me if he ends up in Atlanta over SF. Just my opinion of course. I'm pretty high on Lance, I think he's going to be really good. But my confidence is also due to me thinking he'll end up in a good situation. If he falls past 4, I might sing a different tune. 

Atlanta is a good spot for him for sure

edit: only wrote this because Bay Raider said no one talks about the top guys as maybe busts.

Trevor Lawrence only looks to me like he can bust from expectations. I think he'll be an advanced RyanTannehill type, like Titans version and play winning football and MVP conversation but not really "that's the best QB in the sport". I think he could grow into the best or whatever, I just think Tannehill-like with winning record is kinda likely and might be considered "bust" for a guy some (most?) think is a GOAT QB prospect.

Justin Fields is awesome, but his high elbow motion is weird. If weird becomes something a team forces a correction, he may be bad for a bit with a reworked motion as he gets used to it (or reverts). I don't think he's a bad prospect, but I could see him looking a little bust-y for a bit while a team molds him more.

Zach Wilson I think is Baker Mayfield like ups and downs, I don't expect as good of a rookie year as Baker though. I think he's going to get screwed because it's the Jets and the talent level isn't there around him. His mentality is too YOLO for a lower end of the spectrum talent team, because he will try and make it work and sometimes that won't be smart. I  think he'll be good off the field and study and show the team as long as they invest around him he'll improve though. I think he is most likely to be labeled bust quickly like end of this year "should the Jets move on for ____ in 2022". I think they stick with him and it works though, not long term bust but short term looks rocky.

Trey Lance I think he sits and sits long enough people kinda forget about him, then either will look great or the team will move on. I think he's raw enough that a team won't play him and make him look like a bust. Either it clicks and he shows it in film room and practice or it doesn't.

Mac Jones I think very well could bust. Right situation and whatever I think he'd be game manager to Cousins-y type. I think he'll be a winner though making the progressions and locking on a star and hitting him up over and over again with good timing. I don't think he's transcendent though and I think if it's a bad coach he'll make the bad coaches reads and it won't work.  49ers, Washington, sit behind in Tampa, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, New England are the places I think he has a chance. New Orleans I think is his best landing place after SF though, but I also don't think SF would pass on Fields or Lance for Jones given they can groom behind Jimmy if needed. Washington is the only destination I think Jones starts right away and has a chance to succeed. If some stupid stuff happens and the Raiders for example take him after a "fall" from being "the pick" at 3, then is available at 17 and then flip Carr for future picks (to a Washington or whatever)... then yeah I can see him bust, or Chicago where I think he'd bust as well and then GM/Coach changes would lead to an organization not tied to him also. Denver I think he'd be close to Lock, but like the safer read guy and Lock the more threatening but more turn overs. I think Lock and Jones would be a tight race, I think he'd be considered okay and maybe a bust down the line as wins in the AFC west would be hard to come by. I think he'd outplay his talent in general, but needs the situation with coaching to be great to continue outplaying his raw talent.

Davis Mills I think would be considered a reach in the first and easy to see being a bust, but I think he easily could live up to late 20s pick especially given the luxury to groom a year or two. I think early starting would be problematic indicator, especially if he struggled early. Reach and then slow start would get bust label fast and it would be hard to shed.

Edited by Trojan

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

JT’s Top QBs:

1) Justin Fields

2) Trevor Lawrence

3) Trey Lance

4) Zach Wilson

5) Kellen Mond

6) Mac Jones

Totally 100% disagree with this list, but I figure some might find it interesting. 

Yeah he doesn't like Wilson. I've seen his 5 part series on Wilson. Makes some good points - leaves A LOT out there in terms of not seeing stuff, but the tools are there

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’d rather have a Boom or Bust QB than a Backup QB in Mac Jones... have zero idea what so ever what people see in him. 

And Lance may be Boom or Bust but his boom is basically like Top 2 QB stuff. His skillset is out of this world. 

"But coach, I hit my WR on the 1 yard slant, why was it a 3 yard gain and not a 75 yard touchdown pass?"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah he doesn't like Wilson. I've seen his 5 part series on Wilson. Makes some good points - leaves A LOT out there in terms of not seeing stuff, but the tools are there

I see Zach Wilson as like Russell Wilson. Yeah, he'll leave some plays on the field, but his innate sense for where his guys are while improvising and ability to get the ball to them basically anywhere on the field makes him special. And he is plenty of capable of playing within the structure of an offense too, which is what separates him from some of the improvisers who have failed over the years.

• Like 1