Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

My final 2021 QB rankings:

1. Trey Lance - All-Pro talent; NFL comp: Steve McNair/Donovan McNabb

2. Trevor Lawrence - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: Archie Manning with Peyton Manning height

3. Zach Wilson - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: rich man's Baker Mayfield; bigger Jim McMahon

4. Justin Fields - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter poor man's Cam Newton

5. Kellen Mond - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter Colin Kapernick

6. Mac Jones - Backup/Low Level Starter; NFL comp: Mason Rudolph

Overall I believe this is an excellent QB class.  In my opinion it is the best QB draft since 2004.  I think there are 5 quality starting caliber QBs in this class.  I would draft Trey Lance 1st overall.  I think he is the best player in this draft regardless of position.  That's how highly I think of him.  I would feel comfortable with drafting Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson in the top 3.  They are great prospects in their own right as well.  Justin Fields and Kellen Mond are mid-1st round caliber picks.  Solid QBs who will win a lot of games in the NFL.  And finally, under no circumstances would I take Mac Jones in the first round.  He is the most likely bust in this QB class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VanS said:

My final 2021 QB rankings:

1. Trey Lance - All-Pro talent; NFL comp: Steve McNair/Donovan McNabb

2. Trevor Lawrence - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: Archie Manning with Peyton Manning height

3. Zach Wilson - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: rich man's Baker Mayfield; bigger Jim McMahon

4. Justin Fields - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter poor man's Cam Newton

5. Kellen Mond - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter Colin Kapernick

6. Mac Jones - Backup/Low Level Starter; NFL comp: Mason Rudolph

Overall I believe this is an excellent QB class.  In my opinion it is the best QB draft since 2004.  I think there are 5 quality starting caliber QBs in this class.  I would draft Trey Lance 1st overall.  I think he is the best player in this draft regardless of position.  That's how highly I think of him.  I would feel comfortable with drafting Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson in the top 3.  They are great prospects in their own right as well.  Justin Fields and Kellen Mond are mid-1st round caliber picks.  Solid QBs who will win a lot of games in the NFL.  And finally, under no circumstances would I take Mac Jones in the first round.  He is the most likely bust in this QB class.

Fields is much more accurate than Cam ever was. His processing speed and power is also superior. 

Per PFF's Twitter:

Trey Lance had a 44.1% accurate pass rate beyond the line of scrimmage in 2019 & 2020

That would be the worst % by a 1st RD QB since 2017

He has the "tools", but he's rawer than a freshly butchered cow and considering he's going to redshirt his rookie year he would ve 2 years removed from his last meaningful snap.

Edited by Nut
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nut said:

Per PFF's Twitter:

Trey Lance had a 44.1% accurate pass rate beyond the line of scrimmage in 2019 & 2020

That would be the worst % by a 1st RD QB since 2017

He has the "tools", but he's rawer than a freshly butchered cow and considering he's going to redshirt his rookie year he would ve 2 years removed from his last meaningful snap.

I like Lance more than Wilson/Jones because of his upside and physical tools but he's definitely not ready to play next season. Unless the team that drafts him is okay with him playing like Josh Allen did during his rookie year (172 ypg, 52% comp, 10 TD, 12 INT). His last 5 games of tape at NDSU were meh but the upside is definitely there.

As good as this QB class is, none of them should start Week 1 except Lawrence. 

Lance is a true redshirt and we all already knew that. Maybe you start him the last game of the season. 

Fields is most ready out of Wilson, Himself, and Lance but he still has some things he needs to clean up. Maybe Fields can start around Week 6-7. 

Wilson start around Week 9-10. 

Lance over Lawrence? Come on. Could he be a better play in the nfl? Sure. Would any of the 32 gm’s in this league even consider taking him over Trevor? Absolutely not. Yeah he has a lot of physical tools and could become an elite qb but if you’re actually in the first slot in the draft no one has the balls to take a raw prospect like that over a polished product.

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Fields is much more accurate than Cam ever was. His processing speed and power is also superior. 

Respectfully disagree.  Justin Fields will never come close to winning NFL MVP or leading his team to a Super Bowl.

24 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

Lance over Lawrence? Come on. Could he be a better play in the nfl? Sure. Would any of the 32 gm’s in this league even consider taking him over Trevor? Absolutely not. Yeah he has a lot of physical tools and could become an elite qb but if you’re actually in the first slot in the draft no one has the balls to take a raw prospect like that over a polished product.

I said in 2018 Josh Allen should be the #1 overall pick and Lamar Jackson should get 1st overall pick consideration.  I typically don't follow the herd.

I would take Trey Lance over Trevor Lawrence with no hesitation. 

My Final QB Rankings:

1. Zach Wilson- Reminds me so much of Aaron Rodgers. I think he will be an elite QB if the Jets (most likely his landing spot) can be somewhat competent getting talent around him. 

2. Trevor Lawrence- I think he's a great prospect that will have similar success to a guy like Andrew Luck. 

3. Mac Jones- Not as "exciting" as the other QB's, but I see a lot of Matt Ryan to his game. I think he will be a good decade plus starting QB.

4. Justin Fields- I see him being worst case a Dak Prescott type QB. Some ups and downs with some good seasons in there.

5. Kellen Mond- He reminds me a bit of Colin Kaepernick with his arm talent, athleticism, and upright robotic looking movements. He won't be drafted as high as some of the other guys, but I think he outplays his draft spot and becomes a decent starter.

*Trey Lance- I think he's going to bust. I really want to like him as a prospect, especially since he is a Minnesota guy and we rarely have these types of prospects come from Minnesota, but I just don't see it. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Respectfully disagree.  Justin Fields will never come close to winning NFL MVP or leading his team to a Super Bowl.

He's not a Cam level physical talent. He can be a much better processor and accurate QB and still not as good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He's not a Cam level physical talent. He can be a much better processor and accurate QB and still not as good.

Right? If Fields is more Dak than Cam, then he's a better passer, etc but it doesn't mean he's accomplished as much. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VanS said:

He may not. He needs to improve his processing speed and reading of defenses. There's no guarantee the former issue ever improves. But he doesn't play the game like Cam. He's not a run-first QB. He's very athletic, but he uses it as more of a last resort. And he's an exceptional thrower.

If his field vision and processing grow with experience and coaching, he could easily be the best QB in this class. If they don't, he's probably destined for a career like Kaepernick's. He'll have some early success because of his physical gifts, but he'll settle into the replaceable starter tier once teams figure him out.

Lance is a tough one. Your McNabb comparison isn't a bad one. McNabb had accuracy inconsistencies throughout his career. Lance could be similar. Ultimately, I'd rather take one of the safer picks (Lawrence and Wilson) over him. He's too boom/bust, and I don't have the information I'd keep to feel comfortable with that pick.

Edited by jrry32

6 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

This is why I called him a poor man's Cam.  He has less physical tools and the same accuracy/processing issues.  I don't see what you see in Fields as a passer.