Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

17 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Sure I read last week that both Fields and Lance planned to incorporate Shanahan concepts into their second pro days. This is actually super fascinating watch them basically audition to be the pick.

I'm going to bet on that Mac Jones over 3.5. I'm quite confident that it'll either be Fields or Lance, just not sure which.

There was an article written by a local guy (tim kawakami) saying he thinks they traded up for jones, but did it early enough to let themselves be convinced to switch to fields.

I think its the other way around. I think they did it for fields, but then are willing to let themselves be talked into Trey Lance. 

So, I am with you. Fields, lance, jones in that order

20 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Hmm

It was noted that the coaches would be allowed to call some plays so it makes sense to tweak the mechanics a bit as well, if you want a full picture 

Also noted how Shanny talked to Fields & Day at this pro day when he couldn't even be bothered to say a word to Jones or Saban at Bama's. And, behind the scenes (until it was reported earlier this week), he's been calling Fields personal QB coach (John Beck, a former Shanny QB) regularly 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Are we at this point where we are grasping for straws?

Depends on what you think the purpose of the post was. I actually can easily buy into the idea that it was something that was intentionally done by Beck for Shanny. I don't know that it means anything more than that in terms of Fields being the pick 

Staying rational...

It's such a egg shell climate politically and culturally right now, this could stick.

Jones doesn't have the luxury of being a tools unicorn like a Josh Allen, if "culturally insensitive" skeletons are similarly dug up. And a bad photo seems worse than random comments or rumored shenanigans.

Edited by BrownLeader

Justin Fields plays hurt, petitions the entire B1G to play this year, is nothing but a model player with passion and commitment, and yet his work ethic and character are questioned.

Mac Jones has that picture surface, has DUI issues, is nicknamed John McEnroe by Sark, and yet gets rave character and leadership intangilbes.

L

O

L

• Like 4

Double standards undoubtedly exist, but I think the whole "Fields has had his work ethic questioned" thing is being overblown.  Orlovsky is the only person in the media that I can think that has said anything along those lines.

But yeah, Jones definitely seems like a tool.  

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Double standards undoubtedly exist, but I think the whole "Fields has had his work ethic questioned" thing is being overblown.  Orlovsky is the only person in the media that I can think that has said anything along those lines.

I think Orlovsky is being used by SF or another team to plant a rumor/drive down his value to #3 (as well as Shefter), and also subconsciously motivating him going forward.

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

But yeah, Jones definitely seems like a tool.  

All of the off the field stuff with his major temper issues and failures before this year and reactions (poor) to setbacks if anything just hurt the intangibles that people believe he has/had. Imagine the locker room ramifications he's potentially going to have now after this.

• Like 1

I think the issue a lot of teams run into, and fans as well, when it comes to Quarterbacks is projecting upside. And I say that because they always use that in a physical sense. 

But the QB position is so much more mental than any other position in the league and projected that mental upside is where teams should be looking. 

I remember reading why McVay and Shanahan wanted to move on from Goff and Jimmy G and it’s because mentally they can’t do the things needed to elevate the team. Both coaches can pretty much walk any QB they have to a certain level of success but it will never push the team over the top until the QB can provide things to the team that Shanahan and McVay cannot.  See Rodgers for example in the same scheme elevating the Packers and taking it to new heights. 

So for me when I’m looking at upside I want to see how close can a kid get to where Brady and Peyton and Brees were mentally because that’s going to matter more than their 40 time or winding up 50 yard throws to uncovered targets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

How did Mac Jones rise so highly during the pre draft process? During the season wasn't he viewed by most as a 2nd/3rd round pick?

Because players don't "rise" or "fall" leading up to the draft.  Media and draftniks see their player evaluations start to get closer to the industry standard.  It happens every year.

• Like 1