Dolphins name Tua starting QB

RaidersAreOne

Everyone expects Fitz to fall off a cliff, but there have been examples of surprising career turnarounds. Warner, for one.... 

Still, I can understand if they want to give Tua a chance, and see if he's ready. 

My only concern, from Tua's perspective is if things don't go well of the gate, and against the Rams Frontline, they may not, and management will be pressed to put Fitz back in.... But it's hard to say if that's the fall back plan, or if they want to ride Tua regardless. 

22 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Everyone expects Fitz to fall off a cliff, but there have been examples of surprising career turnarounds. Warner, for one.... 

Still, I can understand if they want to give Tua a chance, and see if he's ready. 

My only concern, from Tua's perspective is if things don't go well of the gate, and against the Rams Frontline, they may not, and management will be pressed to put Fitz back in.... But it's hard to say if that's the fall back plan, or if they want to ride Tua regardless. 

I get the sentiment but Fitzpatrick never had the level of success Warner had, lol. Warner had two NFL MVPs and a Super Bowl ring prior to him falling off a cliff in 2002.... Fitzpatrick is a career journeyman.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I get the sentiment but Fitzpatrick never had the level of success Warner had, lol. Warner had two NFL MVPs and a Super Bowl ring prior to him falling off a cliff in 2002.... Fitzpatrick is a career journeyman.

I know it's a different situation, but Warner was considered damaged goods, and suddenly turned it around.

15 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If the coaches feel he's ready, and clearly they do, there's little reason to wait.

Any chance this really wasn't a coaches decision (right now) but a highly suggested Ownership one by Ross?

Burrow starting day 1 in Cincy 

Hebert balling out in LA , possibly on his way to Rookie of the year.

Meanwhile I'm watching 24/7 feel good coverage on every network of our 5th overall pick doing video chats with his parents from the 30 yd line because he was over come with emotion that they weren't at the stadium for his first NFL action? 

I know, I know conspiracy theories but iimpossible??? Just saying, timing still seems odd at 3-3, 2 gm win streak (both blowouts), Fitz not horrific. 🤔

Edited by Nabbs4u

15 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Look at at all the QBs who started their rookie year and ended up having great careers:

Manning (both)
Roethlisberger
Wilson
Stafford
Newton
Ryan
Luck (derailed by injuries, sadly, but still)
McNabb
Flacco
Tannehill (soon to be known as the GOAT)
Bledsoe
Marino
Elway

Meanwhile, there's plenty of 1st round QBs who sat a year (or most of a year) and still sucked. Jake Locker, Tim Tebow, Dwayne Haskins and Paxton Lynch immediately come to mind.

We could keep naming names pointlessly, or we can just admit that whether it's beneficial or not is situational to who the player is, what the team around them is, and whether or not they have what it takes to succeed in this league in the first place. In the case of Tua, we have a pretty solid team around him at present and he was considered pro-ready coming out. If the coaches feel he's ready, and clearly they do, there's little reason to wait.

That's the rub for me. Do you have a solid team around him? You guys have beaten down a bad Jags team, possibly the worst team in league history, and a team who tried to rush their injured QB too soon. Looked pretty bad against the Patriots, defense got shredded 

When you combine that with a lack of proven track records for a lot of these players, no clue how good Miami is. And then, we've seen Fitzpatrick randomly make his teams look great before - so the next question becomes, what if Miami is actually bad and have only looked good bc of Fitz?

You have to start Tua at some point, the timing just feels odd to me

9 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

That's the rub for me. Do you have a solid team around him? You guys have beaten down a bad Jags team, possibly the worst team in league history, and a team who tried to rush their injured QB too soon. Looked pretty bad against the Patriots, defense got shredded 

What? Our defense was fine in that game. We were competitive up until the end despite Fitzpatrick throwing three picks in that game. They only allowed 21 points and basically shut down New England's passing attack. Cam's legs burned us a couple times but if it weren't for Fitzpatrick's mistakes, they'd have allowed even less.

No doubt all three of our wins this season were against dumpster fire teams (or in the case of the 49ers, IR-ridden). But we destroyed all three and were competitive in each of our losses, as well (with the Patriots one being the least competitive but also probably the worst team of the three). We were very competitive with both the Bills and Seahawks.

I don't think this roster is elite or anything but it's solid enough that it's far from throwing a kid into the fire.

When you combine that with a lack of proven track records for a lot of these players, no clue how good Miami is. And then, we've seen Fitzpatrick randomly make his teams look great before - so the next question becomes, what if Miami is actually bad and have only looked good bc of Fitz?

No doubt Fitzpatrick looked great shredding a practice squad player on the 49ers and the hobbled Jaguars, but he's not been exactly stellar otherwise. He's obviously way more limited than Tua from a talent standpoint. Not saying Tua will definitely be an upgrade at this point, but he has undeniably more upside.

34 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Any chance this really wasn't a coaches decision (right now) but a highly suggested Ownership one by Ross?

Burrow starting day 1 in Cincy 

Hebert balling out in LA , possibly on his way to Rookie of the year.

Meanwhile I'm watching 24/7 feel good coverage on every network of our 5th overall pick doing video chats with his parents from the 30 yd line because he was over come with emotion that they weren't at the stadium for his first NFL action? 

I know, I know conspiracy theories but iimpossible??? Just saying, timing still seems odd at 3-3, 2 gm win streak (both blowouts), Fitz not horrific. 🤔

I'm sure there's been pressure from Ross but I doubt there was any actual command given. This is 100% Flores' decision, and was probably something they were planning to do all along (start Tua after the bye).

The only complicating factor was our Bye was originally Week 11, meaning this is probably earlier than they envisioned. But I doubt Flores would make this move if he wasn't confident in Tua being ready to play.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I love how all of the reports were how Fitzpatrick would be happy to do this and how excited he was to mentor Tua, when in reality this wasn't the plan all along, at least for him.

What reports are you talking about?  No NFL player that is a competitor would ever be happy or excited to step to the side.  The difference in this situation is that while Fitz is nowhere near pleased about being displaced, he WILL be a good mentor to Tua because he's a good dude and a team-first guy.  The Miami locker room is rock solid these days.

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

What reports are you talking about?  No NFL player that is a competitor would ever be happy or excited to step to the side.  The difference in this situation is that while Fitz is nowhere near pleased about being displaced, he WILL be a good mentor to Tua because he's a good dude and a team-first guy.  The Miami locker room is rock solid these days.

The reports that Miami was always going to start Tua after the bye.

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, can't say I've seen a single person say Fitz would be excited to lose his starting gig.

Just because he's a good mentor for Tua and wants him to succeed doesn't mean he would be fine getting benched/hand over the reigns. I'd love to see who said that...(I'd assume no one).