OBJ suffers season-ending knee injury

candyman93

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I've never heard a wr not like Eli and I believe Beckham wasn't in good terms when he left?

This guy just reminds me of brandon marshall and it's got nothing to do with playstyle. I believe he didn't wanna play bc of covid think this may help the team tbh.

You should hear Brandon Marshall on Nick Wrights show.

Holy hell I would hate to have been that divas teammate.

• Like 1

Just now, candyman93 said:

You should hear Brandon Marshall on Nick Wrights show.

Holy hell I would hate to have been that divas teammate.

Omg I heard him enough on first take. He raved about cutler for the longest time and hates him now.

Dude could get you 22 receptions in a game or be a complete lunatic it was insane

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This isn’t a knock on OBJ. I think Baker is at his best when he’s just throwing it to a bunch of different guys. I can’t explain why, but him and Rashard Higgins have AMAZING chemistry. The final drive highlighted Baker at his best.

Yeah it doesn’t make logical sense why a QB is better without a great receiver, but it is what it is.

I get the sample size in 18 wasn’t enormous.  I get it was one game against a team with a bad defense too. But it was nearly instantaneous that as soon as Baker didn’t have to worry about feeding Baker he looked like the same player we saw in ‘18.

At no point during the season and a half with OBJ was Baker as accurate, decisive and aggressive as he was Sunday (or before OBJ). 

I get the skepticism, and I’m not all in on Baker being some stud muffin without OBJ, we’ve got another 9 games to figure that out, but the simple fact of the matter based on what’s happened thus far is that Baker is better without him. 

We’ll see if that continues.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:20 PM, ET80 said:

2018 was a SIGNIFICANT drop from his 2014/2015/2016 season. He went from "elite" to "very good".

2014 (11 games started): 91/1,305/13 (130 targets)

2018 (12 games started): 77/1,052/6 (124 targets)

Beckham missed games before and still exploded at an elite rate, pre-ankle. Post ankle? Notsomuch. Same number of targets too, so it's not like the opportunity to make plays didn't present itself.

So a guy going 90/1300/10 to 75/1000/5 isn't a decline to you?

So... what IS a decline to you, then?

You understand his last year in NY and his first year in Cleveland are nearly identical, right?

77/1,052/6 vs 74/1,035/4 - which one is Cleveland, which one is NY?

So, if you're not seeing a decline post ankle - I have to question your eye test. You don't seem to understand what you're watching.

Talk about misdirection.  You go from saying he regressed as a player after the 2017 ankle injury to now comparing his 2018 season to his career best year in 2014.  I'm sure if we compared any players career best year to another season you could make an argument for a decline.  Is Patrick Mahomes not the same player anymore because he hasn't come close his 2018 MVP season?  

Stop playing games with the stats.  You and I both know what the numbers say.  In 2016 (before the ankle injury) OBJ averaged less yards per game and less yards per reception than he did in 2018 (after the ankle injury).  If your theory was true that he's not the same player he was before the 2017 ankle injury then we should have seen a decline in his production in 2018 compared to 2016 (the year immediately before the ankle injury).   But that didn't happen.  His per game stats actually increased in 2018 after the ankle injury.

The only real decline we've seen in OBJ's game happened once he came to Cleveland and started playing with Mayfield.  The stats say he was the same ole OBJ in 2018 that he was in 2016 after the ankle injury.

Edited by VanS

On 10/28/2020 at 1:09 AM, thebestever6 said:

I've never heard a wr not like Eli and I believe Beckham wasn't in good terms when he left?

This guy just reminds me of brandon marshall and it's got nothing to do with playstyle. I believe he didn't wanna play bc of covid think this may help the team tbh.

Lol where did you get this from? We just making stuff up now?

10 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Lol where did you get this from? We just making stuff up now?

Odell threw heavy shade at Eli while he was there (suggesting he was too old and couldnt throw deep in an ESPN interview) and after he left NY. 

Its not a smoking gun, but if Eli liked Odell, these instances would suggest it was one way. 

On 10/28/2020 at 12:20 AM, ET80 said:

You understand his last year in NY and his first year in Cleveland are nearly identical, right?

77/1,052/6 vs 74/1,035/4 - which one is Cleveland, which one is NY?

First one is NY and second is Cleveland. But believe me in NY the issue wasn’t of targets, the issue was Eli too Many times just was not accurate. In 2018 Odell had 5 100 yard games out of 12. In Cleveland, in 21 games has only 2 and hadn’t had one all year before his injury. Eli, unlike a Baker, has no issue of field vision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Talk about misdirection.  You go from saying he regressed as a player after the 2017 ankle injury to now comparing his 2018 season to his career best year in 2014.  I'm sure if we compared any players career best year to another season you could make an argument for a decline.  Is Patrick Mahomes not the same player anymore because he hasn't come close his 2018 MVP season?  

Stop playing games with the stats.  You and I both know what the numbers say.  In 2016 (before the ankle injury) OBJ averaged less yards per game and less yards per reception than he did in 2018 (after the ankle injury).  If your theory was true that he's not the same player he was before the 2017 ankle injury then we should have seen a decline in his production in 2018 compared to 2016 (the year immediately before the ankle injury).   But that didn't happen.  His per game stats actually increased in 2018 after the ankle injury.

The only real decline we've seen in OBJ's game happened once he came to Cleveland and started playing with Mayfield.  The stats say he was the same ole OBJ in 2018 that he was in 2016 after the ankle injury.

I'm just going to let you argue against you now...

On 10/27/2020 at 2:15 AM, VanS said:

Maybe I'm wrong but did 2014, 2015 not happen?  

So you're just cherry picking years to fit your argument. Or, you're being intentionally obtuse. One or the other.

On 10/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, ET80 said:

- Deandre Hopkins has put up All Pro seasons with TJ Yates and Tom Savage as his QB. He doesn't need elite QB play to put up the best numbers in the league.

- Keenan Allen hung up elite seasons with the corpse of Phillip Rivers. He doesn't need elite QB play to put up elite numbers.

- Mike Evans is only one of two WRs to post up 1,000 yards six seasons straight to start his career. (The other was some guy named Moss). His QB? A combination of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston. He didn't need elite QB play to get into this discussion.

- Michael Thomas set the single season reception record with Teddy Bridgewater for nearly half a season. He didn't need elite QB play to get into the discussion.

That's the difference between these guys and OBJ. OBJ needs elite QB play. These guys don't. 

That's why they're better WRs.

But what's in their eyes? 👁 👁 

• Like 2

Tbh I think the guy has just had too many moderate to major injuries to ever be the same OBJ as he was a couple years into the league.  More then being a headcase, health has been the biggest derailer.  He's had some big moments but the same level of explosion as when he came into the league is just not an advantage he has anymore.