Week 8: VIKINGS (1-5) at Packers (5-1)

swede700

Well, there has to be something positive about this game . . . heck, the media is calling for trading Theilen, Smith and everyone but Cousins.  Let's all just cool our jets a bit because this team is 3 or 4 stupid plays from being 3-3.  Still, they're 1-5 and playing young guys.  Do I think a defense with Smith-Ngakoue-Barr would've been fun to watch -- heck yes!  Would've they held teams to 10 less points, not the way this year's going.  I think Capers was a bad hire.  I think co-defensive coordinators is a strange idea, but nepotism rings loud here -- and I really like Zimmer.  Oh, and that's not usually productive either.

It's totally believable that the Pack beat the Vikes by 30 this game.  It's also totally believable the Vikes make it challenging and keep the score to a single-digit loss. One interception by Cousins will do that.  a 2020 normal performance by him will make it puke-worthy.

Is Cook coming back this week?  If so, there's a small chance they can pull a 2012 Adrian-esque run game, which would be exciting.  Other than that?  I hope Harrison Smith gets a sack on Rodgers that's soooooo hard it makes Andy Dalton cringe.

Well boys in my 44 years on this planet I’ve never cared less about a Vikings game.. I’m sure with everything going on and all of the uncertainty that plays into it but I think I’m just tired of being the smiling idiot as the ship goes down. This team has proven to me my entire life that no one competent is at the helm. I am actually REALLY pulling for an entire tear down with anyone of any value except for the kids like Jefferson to be traded. Unfortunately as we all know if there are 3 game changing players available in this draft we will most definitely pick 4th. Sorry fellas I’m just tired of the same thing over and over

• Like 2

Against my DNA to root for a loss.

So no, I disagree - I don’t want the young players already on this team to get in the habit of being bottom feeders. That, and poor management is what has kept teams like the Browns, Jets, And Lions as perennial basement dwellers. 

Edited by RpMc

15 hours ago, Illadelegend215 said:

It’s all for the greater good. Next season when Trevor Lawrence drops back and completes a 78 yard drive with a td throw to jet, I will look back and be proud of this terrible season. This will be the catalyst to our super bowl you watch. 

I usually don't root for the tank but with this being a crazy year where speculation was that we might not even have football, its okay this time. 

But we aren't getting Lawrence. The Jets don't have a probable win left on their schedule I think.

10 hours ago, RpMc said:

So no, I disagree - I don’t want the young players already on this team to get in the habit of being bottom feeders. That, and poor management is what has kept teams like the Browns, Jets, And Lions as perennial basement dwellers. 

When you become ok with losing, losing is all you’ll do. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RpMc said:

I disagree. It’s been terrible coaching, bad drafts that kept those other teams from becoming great. We are simply a team that has been average for years. I’m tired of making it to the divisional round and getting eliminated or becoming a wildcard team and getting eliminated. I want to see what it’s like to be a powerhouse, the guys favored to win it all on a consistent basis. If that means to lose the rest of the season that if we somehow sneak in the playoffs, we would be crushed by a better team anyway, then I’m all for it.

8 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I disagree. It’s been terrible coaching, bad drafts that kept those other teams from becoming great. We are simply a team that has been average for years. I’m tired of making it to the divisional round and getting eliminated or becoming a wildcard team and getting eliminated. I want to see what it’s like to be a powerhouse, the guys favored to win it all on a consistent basis. If that means to lose the rest of the season that if we somehow sneak in the playoffs, we would be crushed by a better team anyway, then I’m all for it.

The KC Chiefs have been virtually an average team for 30 years...they struck gold one season.  I'd still argue that, looking up and down their roster, they aren't a "powerhouse" team, but the winning attitude has done wonders for them.  I tend to agree more along @RpMc's lines, it's more than just terrible coaching and bad drafts that have kept those teams from being great, as all those teams have recycled through coaches and GMs and nothing's changed.  

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why does losing one season lead some to think that it would automatically lead to something better? 

Is there anyone that thinks that it would automatically lead to something better?

I have always assumed that odds favor our next GM will be worse than Rick Spielman. That doesn't make me think that the team shouldn't try to find a better GM. You do it for the chance of improvement, not because you think it will automatically lead to improve.

My thoughts are that losing one season would lead to a new GM. That gives the team a chance to be better.

There's no need to blow it all up unless next year is just like this one. This is a hard slip, but we should only treat it as such for the moment. And really, I'm not being optimistic, but this season could still change our outlook by the end of the year.

Blowing it all up means years of trying to put it all back together. Sometimes teams can't even figure out how to do that and then they have to blow it all up again within a few years. 

I'd much rather be on the cusp of something great every season rather than wishing and hoping for a so-called savior prospect or 2. First you get your savior prospect, but what about the losing roster that's still accompanying that prospect. I've hated the tank mantra since it started. I've said all I can really even say about it.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Is there anyone that thinks that it would automatically lead to something better?

I have always assumed that odds favor our next GM will be worse than Rick Spielman. That doesn't make me think that the team shouldn't try to find a better GM. You do it for the chance of improvement, not because you think it will automatically lead to improve.

My thoughts are that losing one season would lead to a new GM. That gives the team a chance to be better.

So, essentially you’re just for making a change for the sake of making a change? 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Why does losing one season lead some to think that it would automatically lead to something better? 

Pretty simple, landing a top QB. It doesn’t always doesn’t work out but you’re not winning meaningful games without one. There look to be three pretty good QBs at the top of the draft this year too, especially Trevor Lawrence. 

Or we can win 7-8 meaningless games and keep the definition of mediocrity under center in Kirk Cousins. 

But I still want to beat Green Bay.

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So, essentially you’re just for making a change for the sake of making a change? 

No, that is not correct. Your understanding of what I was saying is completely wrong.

I do not think that what the team currently has is good enough to win a Super Bowl. I believe they are above average but their ceiling will prevent the team from achieving the goal. When the team changes general manager odds are better than not that the next GM will lead to worse results. However, the only way to get to the goal is to take a chance on trying to improve. There is at least a 25% chance that the next general manager will be better than Rick Spielman. Somewhere in that 25% percentage of improving is a chance of making it to the goal.

And if you end up in the other 75%, then you have to move on from that as quickly as possible. The Vikings have been stuck on Spielman for far too long.

If being a little above average is good enough for you, that is fine. I want more. I want the team to take try improving rather than sitting on what they have. Being afraid of the possibility of getting worse is no way to make decisions IMO. Fortune favors the bold.