Does His Announcing Career Get Tony Romo into the HOF?

BlaqOptic

Does His Announcing Career Get Tony Romo into the HOF?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Does His Announcing Career Get Antonio Romo into the HOF?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Well, seeing as a good portion of color guys are all former players, I am going to say that it does give a decided leg up. 

I meant for the HOF though. The color guys that are already in the HOF aren't in due to their broadcasting careers. Because there are no just purely broadcasters in the HOF. Those guys of course, are usually the play-by-play who are just as important for illustrating the broadcast. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I think this is only valid for when a player gets into the HoF. For example, Randy Moss has some controversial stuff about his past, but as a player he was a sure fire HoF'er.  Moss' past could have prevented him from getting in on the first ballot, and maybe it would have if he wasn't in the media.

You could argue that being apart of the media and being such a likeable figure in the media helped to soften Moss' image to where a lot of people can let go of certain things he may have did or said during his playing career, whereas that wasn't the case with someone like Terrell Owens, for example.  Moss was a HoF'er regardless, but maybe he doesn't get in first ballot without all his years in the media.

If Romo was actually a HoF worthy player that was struggling to get in, then I think maybe his time in the media would soften people up over the years. But the thing about Romo is, he's not a HoF worthy player, so I don't think he has any shot at making the HoF in any capacity.

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

It’s very easy to tell when people don’t follow the HOF at all. No Romo has zero shot. He wasn’t even borderline in his day. He has one year as a top 5 QB. Only 4 Pro Bowls. He has a good passer rating but that’s it 

Its very easy to tell when people cant read the thread title. 

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its very easy to tell when people cant read the thread title. 

Not really, his announcing career won’t make difference. He’s staring way too far below the barometer to matter. Maybe if he was super borderline like Madden was who was just on the edge it would matter. But Tony Romo wouldn’t even make it far enough to pass the first round of consideration.

Like I said, it’s a very easy tell. Romo isn’t in the ballpark for the HOF. There’s players much better than him who have zero chance of making it. An announcing career won’t matter 

On 11/1/2020 at 7:16 PM, SkippyX said:

I voted yes since its a binary poll but he needs to stay at this high level for another 15 years or so.

I am all for combo guys getting into the Hall of Fame

• Seifert
  • Flores
  • Dan Reeves (close call, but probably)
  • Cowher (he got in)
  • Johnson (in also)
  • Richie Petitbone (48 picks as a player and DC'd 3 DC Super Bowls winners / 4 SB teams)

Richard (D) LeBeau is the best comparison for a combined resume.

Oh come on. That was his nick name...

Edited by scar988

26 minutes ago, indifference said:

His football intelligence is well documented in the booth. Makes me wonder why he hasn’t been giving a shot to coach somewhere. 

Given the work effort required for coaching and the work effort required for broadcasting, I'm sure he'd pick the booth over the sideline.

I know I would.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:
34 minutes ago, indifference said:

His football intelligence is well documented in the booth. Makes me wonder why he hasn’t been giving a shot to coach somewhere. 

Given the work effort required for coaching and the work effort required for broadcasting, I'm sure he'd pick the booth over the sideline.

I know I would.

Plus, IIRC, he is (about to be?) the highest paid broadcaster at like ~$10m/yr. Thats more than almost every coach in the NFL makes with much less work.

• Like 2

I just was amazed by Trent Green calling the fake punt at  the last Chiefs game early. Those former players in the booth have an unsurmountable value, as they provide a completely different perspective from those armchair QB/GM at their side. And Romo and Green are REALLY good at it.

54 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

I just was amazed by Trent Green calling the fake punt at  the last Chiefs game early. Those former players in the booth have an unsurmountable value, as they provide a completely different perspective from those armchair QB/GM at their side. And Romo and Green are REALLY good at it.

That play had me cackling. Jets guy just turned his back on Pringle playing gunner who stopped and caught the 1st-down pass on the fake punt. 

Romo is the man on the mic though. Smooth as silk. 

On 11/1/2020 at 4:05 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

As someone who has no beef with the Cowboys really... he really is. He talks about the Cowboys nearly twice as much as he talks about the other team lol

He could be worse. Fouts is the most annoying person to have announcing a Chargers game. All he does it make passive aggressive comments about the team. We get it dude, you're bitter everyone remembers Marino but not you and now Rivers took all your meaningless team records too.