SNF NO @ TB

Sad People

Was honestly wondering: can you get beat like this and recover? Can a team ever look this bad AND have legit SB aspirations? I found my answer in 2008 Cardinals, they lost 7-47 to the Matt Cassell Patriots in week 16, but still turned it around and made a SB run. We've seen what the Bucs are capable of (thrashing of GB), so even though I highly doubt they get any home games as they look on pace for a 10-11 win season at best w/ their inconsistent play on both sides, there's no real juggernaut in football to think Bucs couldn't ride "any given Sunday" to a title. Obviously after watching tonight, the odds I'd give the Bucs of reaching the SB have dramatically dropped, but it's definitely not 0.

I think this is a game you just move on from. Even if there are schematic flaws that need to be examined, I don't know what info you can really gather from this performance where you just did not execute. Dominated in the trenches, Brady played bad, tackling was poor, miscommunications, everything that could go wrong...did. NO came out to play, and we've seen this quite a few times over the years, them bringing out their A+ game and just steamrolling decent competition (Indy last year comes to mind), although that's almost always in the dome. I would not be surprised at all to see them come out next week and fail to blow out the short handed 49ers as everyone will expect after what was the best performance of 2020.

5 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

This game is going to single handedly drop Brady's passer rating this season by quite a few points

There were plenty of games here where he passed nearly every down, but he was never going to fall foul of lack of balance or intelligence here. If we had games like that (see Denver comeback), we didn't panic, we didn't abandon entire facets of the game like Tampa does, we break it down into little pieces and do things that simply work. We don't just scatter gun it deep whilst our OL got butchered.

TomB was made for us and our disciplined, intelligent approach of problem solving. He was never made for this party time chuck it and fireworks offense. Arians is overrated. Where was the run game? When you're getting massacred like that it doesn't actually matter how effective the run game is, you still need to put it in. NO D was having a hilarious time. Where was the screens? The motions? The draws? Anything to change it up.

Also, not related to Tom - but what in the f was Bowles thinking with his zone and rush minimal gameplan? Against Brees, are you serious? Serious lack of intelligence on that team and they are 1 and done in the playoffs. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm convinced this season is f'd. Who is actually good?! 

As for TB, I was never convinced. Even when they were mid thrust into the Packers, I wasn't entirely sure they were any good. 

Would you still expect the Chiefs to be good? I do,  Mahomes can win and set the new standard if his TD/INT ratio is near what it currently is. Saints played like a team on a mission last night, but will they continue this? Right  now I would say these 2 teams after what I saw last night, but like many I thought the Bucs were the team in the NFC.

Steelers play down to competition, so if they have a high seed in the playoffs, it could spell disaster. Bucs,  look at last night.  Seahawks have a terrible pass defence.  Bills defence is lacking , Ravens might not be able to pass as well as some want them to, Colts inconsistent, Packers have shown to be inconsistent. Chargers might be abe to score but seem to always let the other team score just a bit more. Miami has solid defence so maybe if Tua really gets going it could be their year?

15 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Would you still expect the Chiefs to be good? I do,  Mahomes can win and set the new standard if his TD/INT ratio is near what it currently is. Saints played like a team on a mission last night, but will they continue this? Right  now I would say these 2 teams after what I saw last night, but like many I thought the Bucs were the team in the NFC.

Steelers play down to competition, so if they have a high seed in the playoffs, it could spell disaster. Bucs,  look at last night.  Seahawks have a terrible pass defence.  Bills defence is lacking , Ravens might not be able to pass as well as some want them to, Colts inconsistent, Packers have shown to be inconsistent. Chargers might be abe to score but seem to always let the other team score just a bit more. Miami has solid defence so maybe if Tua really gets going it could be their year?

Chiefs are the closest, yeah. But even they have shown bad stretches where they can be had - vs Raiders and Pats. Steelers 2nd for me, but they're not even close to the most threatening Steelers teams I've seen over the past 10 years or so. This will probably be the AFC CG. 

Just not convinced by anyone else. We may see a team from the NFC in the SB that no one had expected - like Rams for example

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm convinced this season is f'd. Who is actually good?! 

As for TB, I was never convinced. Even when they were mid thrust into the Packers, I wasn't entirely sure they were any good. 

Bucs are a good team.  They had a bad night, that’s it really.  The Saints won’t play a complete game like this against that caliber of team probably ever.  That’s a rare performance by the Saints.

26 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Chiefs are the closest, yeah. But even they have shown bad stretches where they can be had - vs Raiders and Pats. Steelers 2nd for me, but they're not even close to the most threatening Steelers teams I've seen over the past 10 years or so. This will probably be the AFC CG. 

Just not convinced by anyone else. We may see a team from the NFC in the SB that no one had expected - like Rams for example

EVERY team has games like the Bucs did last night.  I wouldn't put much weight into this game unless they have repeat performances in the near future.

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Was honestly wondering: can you get beat like this and recover? Can a team ever look this bad AND have legit SB aspirations? I found my answer in 2008 Cardinals, they lost 7-47 to the Matt Cassell Patriots in week 16, but still turned it around and made a SB run. We've seen what the Bucs are capable of (thrashing of GB), so even though I highly doubt they get any home games as they look on pace for a 10-11 win season at best w/ their inconsistent play on both sides, there's no real juggernaut in football to think Bucs couldn't ride "any given Sunday" to a title. Obviously after watching tonight, the odds I'd give the Bucs of reaching the SB have dramatically dropped, but it's definitely not 0.

I think this is a game you just move on from. Even if there are schematic flaws that need to be examined, I don't know what info you can really gather from this performance where you just did not execute. Dominated in the trenches, Brady played bad, tackling was poor, miscommunications, everything that could go wrong...did. NO came out to play, and we've seen this quite a few times over the years, them bringing out their A+ game and just steamrolling decent competition (Indy last year comes to mind), although that's almost always in the dome. I would not be surprised at all to see them come out next week and fail to blow out the short handed 49ers as everyone will expect after what was the best performance of 2020.

The patriots lost 31-0 to the bills in 2003

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Brady and the Pats got trounced by the Chiefs in 2014, and we all know what happened afterwards.

The thing is, this isnt a one off game. The Bucs got beat pretty good by the Saints in Week 1. The Bucs just looked worse this game. They wont look this bad again but they got swept in a bad fashion by the Saints. Can the Bucs recover? Yes. The thing is, how far can they go if they are the 5th or 6th seed having no BYE and going on the road? Brady is 43yrs old and what helps is getting that BYE and getting home cooking where he didnt have to travel. Brady wasnt good at that in New England and he was younger not older. He needs the BYE and HFA. The second he had to play that wildcard game and had to travel in the playoffs Brady was done. I wont think it will be any different until I see it with the Bucs. The Saints win tonight was huge in many ways. They pretty much wrapped up the division and the Bucs now will have to go on the road three times in the playoffs and win just to have a home Superbowl game.