Week 11: Packers vs Colts

Malfatron

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Whenever I think about playing the Colts I just picture Nikc Perry destroying Luck on that sack/fumble that resulted in an absolutely horrible roughing the passer call. Still pisses me off. 

That was when I thought we really had something in Perry, who was superhuman strong. Luck is a big boy and he completely erased him on that hit. Too bad Nick has no bend and couldn’t stay healthy. He could set a mean edge in the run game and I wish we had a guy with that skill set now. Maybe we do with RG but that’s not how we use him 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Refugee said:

That was when I thought we really had something in Perry, who was superhuman strong. Luck is a big boy and he completely erased him on that hit. Too bad Nick has no bend and couldn’t stay healthy. He could set a mean edge in the run game and I wish we had a guy with that skill set now. Maybe we do with RG but that’s not how we use him 

If you want that guy, you can probably get that guy.  He is only 30.  It seems like ancient history, but he was on the 2018 team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If you want that guy, you can probably get that guy.  He is only 30.  It seems like ancient history, but he was on the 2018 team.

Yeah, from what I remember he was staying in the GB area and working out in the year after he was cut, so he was available.  May be that he’s too one dimensional for this team but I was surprised that no one took a flyer on a former first round pick who did have some NFL production. 

5 hours ago, Refugee said:

Yeah, from what I remember he was staying in the GB area and working out in the year after he was cut, so he was available.  May be that he’s too one dimensional for this team but I was surprised that no one took a flyer on a former first round pick who did have some NFL production. 

Nick Perry's exit from the NFL is one of the weirdest things I've witnessed in the league.

I don't know a lot about Nick Perry.  But he is 30, and has earned 40 million dollars playing football.  Perhaps he has a set amount of money that he will take to continue to play, or it just isn't worth it for him.  I can't imagine that he wouldn't be on a team, IF he really just wanted to play football.  Would Perry for 3 million be better than say Garvin, Burks, or Ramsey? Probably.  But does Nick Perry want to put his body through that for a pay cut? I don't know.  

36 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know a lot about Nick Perry.  But he is 30, and has earned 40 million dollars playing football.  Perhaps he has a set amount of money that he will take to continue to play, or it just isn't worth it for him.  I can't imagine that he wouldn't be on a team, IF he really just wanted to play football.  Would Perry for 3 million be better than say Garvin, Burks, or Ramsey? Probably.  But does Nick Perry want to put his body through that for a pay cut? I don't know.  

Perry was injured a good amount during his career. 

Who knows how those injuries have added up and affect his basic daily activities?

At some point, the grind isn't worth it 

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Who knows how those injuries have added up and affect his basic daily activities?

Don't know if anyone else has read the piece in The Athletic on what Majkowski is doing these days, but I don't blame any player for wanting to exit this game after making some money and still having something resembling their health.

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It’s definitely a sport that can grind you down and is one injury away from long term health implications. Once you’ve landed your second contract, even a modest one, you could be set for life if you manage your money.

I have no idea but unless he had debilitating injuries Perry could have gotten a try out somewhere. Agreed that he probably had a number that made the sacrifice worth it to him and nobody matched that number.

With Raji, I know he had family members that had health issues.  I am not sure he was ever totally committed to the punishment that comes with that position so once he cashed in, he didn’t want to go for the long haul.

If I had the physical ability to play in the NFL, it would be hard for me to justify playing into my 30’s with the toll it could take on the body and already being financially set.  Of course, to play at this level successfully you need to be wired as a competitor so some guys won’t give it up until the end.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Don't know if anyone else has read the piece in The Athletic on what Majkowski is doing these days, but I don't blame any player for wanting to exit this game after making some money and still having something resembling their health.

I read that article and the sad truth is they could write hundreds of those articles if they wanted to follow guys after they’ve left the spotlight. Hopefully, the rule changes will mitigate some of the damage done playing a contact sport but it is still one of the most punishing to play overall.

As a fan, I do get conflicted because I love to see a tough physical game but the moments when you see guys go down or think about the after effects of a big hit, it takes the “game” out of it and makes you think about the real stakes these guys are playing for. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just realized that Denico Autry was put on the Covid list and won't play tomorrow. Leads the Colts in sacks this season. 

That is a big absence for them, but they are still very strong up front. They activated Kemoko Turay off the PUP this week. He has been down since early last  season so can’t see him playing tons of snaps but as a situational rusher he can cause problems. Let’s hope we see him in preseason form. OL will have to earn it this week.