2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

2 minutes ago, tannenballs said:

I think the hometown team (grew up a Lions fan) and the fact his family is there is a big deal. 

I also think both Houston and Jacksonville target offensive minded coaches. 

Here is the thing, Mike McDaniel may end up proving to be just as good of an offensive mind as any "offensive minded HC" that is hired. Just because Saleh is a defensive coach doesn't mean that team won't have a great offensive mind....Because Saleh will be bringing McDaniel with him where ever he goes. People are looking far too much into offensive or defensive hires. 

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Here is the thing, Mike McDaniel may end up proving to be just as good of an offensive mind as any "offensive minded HC" that is hired. Just because Saleh is a defensive coach doesn't mean that team won't have a great offensive mind....Because Saleh will be bringing McDaniel with him where ever he goes. People are looking far too much into offensive or defensive hires. 

I agree that people look into that stuff too much. But if you're Houston or Jacksonville, you don't want to risk someone hiring the guy developing your young quarterback

• Like 1

Just now, tannenballs said:

I agree that people look into that stuff too much. But if you're Houston or Jacksonville, you don't want to risk someone hiring the guy developing your young quarterback

Right, but it will be Mike McDaniel and the staff he and Saleh put together that will develop a young QB. It's not like it will be Saleh working with the QB. 

As with Houston, there's no need to develop Watson, that man is already elite or borderline elite. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right, but it will be Mike McDaniel and the staff he and Saleh put together that will develop a young QB. It's not like it will be Saleh working with the QB. 

As with Houston, there's no need to develop Watson, that man is already elite or borderline elite. 

I agree on Watson. I'm just saying, owners and GMs that want someone to work with their QB will be afraid of hiring a defensive coach because they can't ensure that he will stay. 

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 6:37 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jax with Lawrence/Fields. And he knows Shad Khan doesn’t care about winning so he will have a long leash. Job security baby.

he would have that same job security and an already established franchise QB in Deshaun Watson.

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

he would have that same job security and an already established franchise QB in Deshaun Watson.

Depends on his thoughts on Fields. Lot more opportunity to bring in guys that fit what he wants with the draft capital and salary cap situation in JAX versus HOU.

Don't be surprised if the Falcons somehow win 4 of their last 5 games that they just remove the interim tag from Morris and fire Koetter and try and bring in an OC. The Falcons going after Gary Kubiak if the Vikings staff gets let go, Promoting Knapp, Going after Mike McDaniel or trying to poach Joe Lombardi are all potential things that could happen if they decide to stick with Morris too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Don't be surprised if the Falcons somehow win 4 of their last 5 games that they just remove the interim tag from Morris and fire Koetter and try and bring in an OC. The Falcons going after Gary Kubiak if the Vikings staff gets let go, Promoting Knapp, Going after Mike McDaniel or trying to poach Joe Lombardi are all potential things that could happen if they decide to stick with Morris too.

I'd be surprised if they don't keep Morris at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Depends on his thoughts on Fields.

Fields is still an unknown. He could turn into a Mahomes/Watson or he could bust out. You simply don't know at this point.

There is nothing unknown about Watson. You know beyond a doubt he's a top 3-5 QB.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Lot more opportunity to bring in guys that fit what he wants with the draft capital and salary cap situation in JAX versus HOU.

You're looking at this with one off-season in mind. These guys can't take such a single view. The Texans have picks and quick moves to free up cap space - and they have a young franchise QB and young franchise LT locked up for the immediate future. 2022 on out, they have a full compliment of picks to lean on to build their vision.

It's really hard to not see the QB and LT as competetive advantages in this discussion.

35 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'd be surprised if they don't keep Morris at this point. 

If they finish 8-3 or 9-2 under Morris with a win vs. NO, a win vs. the Chargers, and winning at least 2/3 from the TB-KC-TB stretch, he's going to keep his job. Especially since it would mean he did enough to at least bring the team back to playoff contention this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Fields is still an unknown. He could turn into a Mahomes/Watson or he could bust out. You simply don't know at this point.

There is nothing unknown about Watson. You know beyond a doubt he's a top 3-5 QB.

You're looking at this with one off-season in mind. These guys can't take such a single view. The Texans have picks and quick moves to free up cap space - and they have a young franchise QB and young franchise LT locked up for the immediate future. 2022 on out, they have a full compliment of picks to lean on to build their vision.

It's really hard to not see the QB and LT as competetive advantages in this discussion.

There are definite advantages.

From a GM and HC perspective there's a lot to look at though. You look at players on the roster, but you also look at the whole scope from draft capital, cap situation, ownership, etc.

If a GM/HC have scouted/love what they see from a rookie QB ala Fields/Wilson and believe in their ability to develop/coach/build around said QB on a rookie contract with tons of draft capital and cap to do so, that is enticing.

If someone is unsure about the QB class or wants the more sure thing (while also expecting a quicker turnaround from ownership with a $40M QB) and think they can get more out of the current structure, than of course that's very attractive/maybe more attractive.

I think these are the two most attractive GM openings so far (and will be when it's all said and done besides LAC if they cut bait wait their GM), just depends what the GM and/or HC is looking for. 

38 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If they finish 8-3 or 9-2 under Morris with a win vs. NO, a win vs. the Chargers, and winning at least 2/3 from the TB-KC-TB stretch, he's going to keep his job. Especially since it would mean he did enough to at least bring the team back to playoff contention this year.

I always liked Morris. Was too young in TB and never got the QB situation figured out. I hope he does stay in Atlanta and gets them back to the playoffs.