2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't think it's close to be honest. Mcdaniel is very well regarded, far beyond Lafleur... Players love him and he's considered one of those guru / genius types. He's been with shanny everywhere. Houston. Washington. Cleveland. Atlanta. San fran. He's always been  pegged as a head coach in waiting if you were evaluating on his understanding, schemes, etc. 

But his drinking has nearly ruined multiple stops. It did ruin houston.  I think he's been very fortunate that he and shanny were tight. Shanny has brought him back after multiple relapses (must recent 2016, I believe). 

He was mentoring Josh Gordon this passed off-season with his problems. I think a year or two as OC he should find a head coaching job. He's shown he's passed his demons and is actually helping others with there's. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

7 hours ago, Xenos said:

Sounds like it’s better that he stays as OC with Shanahan than leave with Saleh.

He’s involved in coming up with the game plans but isn't the true OC as that is Shanahan. He would have a far bigger role being a OC on a team that hires Saleh. 

So is it possible that he leaves after a year with Saleh? Sure, but more likely he would need to prove his worth for multiple years before a team gives him his shot. And when that happens, Saleh will have to replace him. But that is later down the line. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Is it too early to say Joe Brady? Offensive guys are all the rage nowadays, and Panthers have done a good job scheming guys open all year 

He's my 2-3 if Bienemy isn't coming to Houston. I go back and forth on Brady and Selah as the next guy.

Bienemy is still #1 IMO...

7 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm hoping the chargers bring out there check book and hire him as head coach. 

I think Brady is an intriguing candidate. His lack of experience scares me though. And I do wonder if he can effectively build a competent staff or will he have the same issues as Zac Taylor.

But more than scheme, the Chargers need someone who can manage the game better on game day especially time wise. It’s essentially 1a next to leadership skills.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't think it's close to be honest. Mcdaniel is very well regarded, far beyond Lafleur... Players love him and he's considered one of those guru / genius types. He's been with shanny everywhere. Houston. Washington. Cleveland. Atlanta. San fran. He's always been  pegged as a head coach in waiting if you were evaluating on his understanding, schemes, etc. 

But his drinking has nearly ruined multiple stops. It did ruin houston.  I think he's been very fortunate that he and shanny were tight. Shanny has brought him back after multiple relapses (must recent 2016, I believe). 

He didn't relapse terribly in 2016, though. He had 2-3 drinks and then called up Shanny and went home. I'll take that as growth for an addict to cut himself off after 2-3 drinks vs. completely and utterly relapsing. He's been golden since he was in Atlanta. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

What did he do?

Take a gander around the internet. Don't really want this thread to go down that road. Just may not be a guy who gets hired this time around/or any time soon unless an owner/GM is willing to look past it.

I know a lot of people have him at #1 on their coaching wish list.

16 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Which of the potential fired HC will get another shot right away vs who will  have to go be a coordinator again and where?

Matt Nagy

Anthony Lynn 

Doug Pederson

Adam Gase

Pederson by a mile, I think. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Take a gander around the internet. Don't really want this thread to go down that road. Just may not be a guy who gets hired this time around/or any time soon unless an owner/GM is willing to look past it.

I know a lot of people have him at #1 on their coaching wish list.

That's what I am assuming has been holding him back the last few years. I also wonder if he's bombing his interviews when it comes to that. Seems weird though...wasn't all this stuff like years upon years ago? I get that it's not a good look, but I don't remember anything in the last half a decade, so strikes me as peculiar that it would hold such weight. But I could be missing something that happened in recent history 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

That's what I am assuming has been holding him back the last few years. I also wonder if he's bombing his interviews when it comes to that. Seems weird though...wasn't all this stuff like years upon years ago? I get that it's not a good look, but I don't remember anything in the last half a decade, so strikes me as peculiar that it would hold such weight. But I could be missing something that happened in recent history 

Yeah, it was all over a decade ago. But that along with the reports of his interviews going poorly...I can see why no one has touched him.

People can change, hope he has, but some of that stuff is pretty damn bad. Not sure many teams want someone with that history running their team/being the face of the franchise.

15 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm hoping the chargers bring out there check book and hire him as head coach. 

You still won't convince me that Dean Spanos is going to fire a coach he just gave an extension to at the start of the year (even if it was only a 1-year extension), no matter how bad the season or performance was.  It just doesn't fit with what Dean Spanos has shown is historically inline with practice.  The only part of Brady even getting consideration from Dean that ticks a Spanos box is that he's an offensive coach (Schottenheimer was the last defensive-minded head coach that Spanos hired, and there's a strong argument to be made that both AJ Smith and Dean's own father had some stroke in that decision).