Week 14 GDT

SteelKing728

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean, while that sounds easier, it doesn't actually make a difference to the game. It isn't like defenses do great against Mahomes until they're tired. And like, maybe you get lucky, and a higher percentage of those drives are drives where our O is off, but it's just as likely that you screw yourself and a disproportionate number of those drives are ones where we're on fire.

How long/the number of drives a defense is on the field definitely makes a big difference.  Guys do get tired.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have faith in the Browns beating them if you can just play them. 

Cleveland’s style philosophically could. They force an insane amount of turnovers and run the ball + control the clock at an elite level.

It would take Baker playing like he did in the first half against Tennessee.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It's ultimately irrelevant, though. If it's a shootout, and Mahomes gets 6 scores on 10 drives, you need to score at a higher rate. If you control the ball and make it a crazy short game, and Mahomes gets 3 scores on 5 drives, you still need to score at a higher rate. It doesn't actually make a difference, giving him fewer opportunities, because it means both teams have fewer opportunities. You still ultimately have to score more often than they do.

The idea of keeping the other QB off the field is just old John Madden style lazy NFL analysis and cliches.

As Rags said, something to be said for only defending Mahomes for 5 drives rather than 10. But also, I believe that your offense has a better chance of keeping up with the Chiefs scoring rate in a small sample size rather than a larger one. If your team scores at a rate of 2.4 points per drive, and you know that you need to score at a rate 3.1 points per drive, do you have more faith in your offense keeping up that rate over 9-10 drives, or 5? 

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Mahomes would torch us for 60 points if we played them.

Your defense isn't that bad and you control the clock, so that is unlikely to happen. 

Though I admittedly I wouldn't have a lot of faith that you would beat them lol. 

Just now, Forge said:

As Rags said, something to be said for only defending Mahomes for 5 drives rather than 10. But also, I believe that your offense has a better chance of keeping up with the Chiefs scoring rate in a small sample size rather than a larger one. If your team scores at a rate of 2.4 points per drive, and you know that you need to score at a rate 3.1 points per drive, do you have more faith in your offense keeping up that rate over 9-10 drives, or 5? 

But again, all of it is true for both sides. The Chiefs defense then has less drives to defend. If KC has to score at a higher clip, they have to do so for fewer drives. It's all just a wash. On our side, if you asked me would I feel better about having to score 24 points in 5 drives or 48 points in 10 drives, I'd take the former as well.