PFT: Should Gruden be getting more heat?

beardown3231

32 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

For this season I would give Gruden a D+

When Gruden is in a grove calling plays he shows that he can still do it. It just hasn’t lasted a full season and when the playcalling is bad it’s real bad. 

The game plan he had for both KC games has to result for something and I think it shows us what he can do at his peak. Just need to see that for 16 games and cut out the lulls that he goes through. That is why I would like to see him bring in some help that can give him some fresh ideas.

I think that the bad does stick out more.

-Witten usage 

-Taking Jacobs out for a long period of time

- Lack of targets for Ruggs and Edwards

-Red zone woes for the second straight year

That’s all on offense the stuff that he can control. 

- Keeping PG even though all of us knew he was a lame duck this year. Should have cut ties last offseason. 

- The excuses he used for the defensive poor play all season.

Need him to understand his shortcomings and bring people in to help and not let the ego take over. 

Taking out Jacobs when he does is probably the most inane **** I've seen. Like why?

38 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

For this season I would give Gruden a D+

When Gruden is in a grove calling plays he shows that he can still do it. It just hasn’t lasted a full season and when the playcalling is bad it’s real bad. 

The game plan he had for both KC games has to result for something and I think it shows us what he can do at his peak. Just need to see that for 16 games and cut out the lulls that he goes through. That is why I would like to see him bring in some help that can give him some fresh ideas.

I think that the bad does stick out more.

-Witten usage 

-Taking Jacobs out for a long period of time

- Lack of targets for Ruggs and Edwards

-Red zone woes for the second straight year

That’s all on offense the stuff that he can control. 

- Keeping PG even though all of us knew he was a lame duck this year. Should have cut ties last offseason. 

- The excuses he used for the defensive poor play all season.

Need him to understand his shortcomings and bring people in to help and not let the ego take over. 

This. Gruden also was conservative after getting leads cost us a few Games. (Patriots/Bills come to mind)... We need we had issues getting after the QB and didn’t do much to improve the pass rush. Basically putting the team in no win situation for another season. If Gruden believed in Carr, could have saved MM salary on and impact front seven player. Nassib, and Collins flopped so bad. Pathetic eye for talent. Team fell apart down the stretch yet again....

Edited by Humble_Beast

I’m not giving up on Gruden yet, could see a lot of comments in here looking silly in a year or two.

However, if Gruden doesn’t pan out, it really does show how bad ownership can completely cripple a franchise for decades. Look at Washington. And look at us. Al Davis went completely senile from 2002 until his death (god bless his soul though, one of the greatest football minds of all time). He should of never traded Gruden, and all the decisions he made from 2003-2010 were all atrocious, and his senile mind was obvious as day. 

Then you have Mark Davis, who seems like a great guy, and loves the sport of football, but doesn’t have a football mind. Now, you don’t need a football mind to be a good owner, but making fanboy decisions like hiring your Hero in Jon Gruden purely because of what you loved him do when you were a fan, is obviously an absolutely horrendous way to run a franchise. 

Mark should of hired a GM, and not purely based off recommendations like he did Reggie. Instead, look at GM’s have had the job before and have turned teams around. Someone that has proven themselves as a General Manager. 

We may be miserable as long as the ownership of the Raiders has the last name Davis. Don’t get me wrong, I’m eternally grateful for everything Al and Mark have done for this team. However, clearly, the ownership decisions since 2002 have been overwhelmingly terrible. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention Grudens cooperativeness in the negative. Good add on there Humble.

He is bi polar cause he will be aggressive away from the red zone, but once he gets into the red zone he doesn't want to take those chances. It's like pick a side.

I would agree Jacobs has been banged up, but you would see Jacobs on the sideline for like two conservative drives in a row and thats just to much and that has happened a lot this year. Raiders need to ride him if hes your franchise RB treat him like it. You dont see that with Cook and CMC and the other top backs. There has been times when the Raiders are in the red zone and he isn't out there and to me that is just mind blowing. He should always be on the field in the red zone unless its a 3rd down play and they want to bring in Richard for a passing play. 

Josh should be getting 20 attempts a game that has only happened 6 times this year. 

When the Raiders have given Jacobs 20 attempts this year they're 5-1

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

If it wasn’t for DC, we would be one of the worst teams in the league. Probably lose to the Jets and be in that tier. 

Remove the starting QB from almost every team and they are probably a bottom five.  The question is what could we replace him with.  Chances are we are a worse team but we could be a better team also.  Carr is definitely a big part of the success we have so it would be a risk to switch but can we get where we want to go by building around him.

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I came close to taking the Over 7.5 wins but held off. Would be a terrible bad beat if we lost to the Broncos

I was thinking about it but held off.  I thought it would be easy to get to 8 wins if we could start off hot.  Boy was I wrong.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Remove the starting QB from almost every team and they are probably a bottom five.  The question is what could we replace him with.  Chances are we are a worse team but we could be a better team also.  Carr is definitely a big part of the success we have so it would be a risk to switch but can we get where we want to go by building around him.

Not many QBs have to deal with a joke of a defense and still win games like DC... finally caught up to Gruden...