Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

31 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Jason Wilde✔@jasonjwilde

"That explains this Tweet from @King_kevvoo. He'd been dealing with a shoulder injury that dates back to his time at Washington. Toughed it out all year but his rookie season is officially over."

He'll probably have surgery, I imagine this is why we pressed him so sparingly. Frustrating at the time but it makes sense now.

On 12/5/2017 at 3:13 PM, skibrett15 said:

But why the heck was jermaine whitehead playing.... and playing 30% of snaps at that.

My guess? He was relatively assignment sure in practice, our other safeties are versatile, and Don felt he could hide Whitehead's deficiencies at safety easier than Hawkins on an island at CB. Extra safety allows us to confuse the offense more also. It's relatively exotic and Winston is prone to dumb turnovers. 

I don't think Burnett/Jones vs Humphries is a bad matchup and Hawkins probably doesn't do any better in the slot than Burnett/Jones do. 

17 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Jason Wilde✔@jasonjwilde

"That explains this Tweet from @King_kevvoo. He'd been dealing with a shoulder injury that dates back to his time at Washington. Toughed it out all year but his rookie season is officially over."

Odd that we drafted damaged goods .. did that with Biegel as well.  I usually think of the Packers as being pretty conservative, but these picks kind of say the opposite.

42 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Odd that we drafted damaged goods .. did that with Biegel as well.  I usually think of the Packers as being pretty conservative, but these picks kind of say the opposite.

Myles Jack was damaged goods, someone who's knees checked out as a time bomb. Someone like Biegel or King who need a little minor surgery to clean some things up are not damaged goods. I'd imagine 25% of the team has a little cleanup surgery in the off-season you never hear of. Ty Mon just did. They'll both be fine for camp next year.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

There's a stark difference between investing a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick.  Obviously, the Packers FO signed off on Kevin King's shoulder.

Davon House's play on the field has been decidedly mixed this season.

It appears that he is about to miss his 4th game due to injury (so far) in 2017.

Some fans noted House's extensive injury history (and further cautioned House might not be all that good) in response to the over-the-top enthusiasm of some other fans when Davon was signed back in March.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:13 pm {Family Ghost} wrote:

"I think this was a really good signing on the cheap, but there's a couple reasons I am taking a cautious approach with the House signing. First is that I have seen this guy play many games with GB in the past and he just couldn't get over the hump. He teased us several times, but could never really establish himself .. mostly due to untimely injuries. Second, he was cut by Jax after a strong season and then didn't have much of a market in free agency as proven out by only getting a 1 year - 3.5 mil deal. This league is starved for quality corners yet nobody threw any real strong contract offers his way. I hope it all works out and we wind up a high quality starter, but the rest of the league being lukewarm on him gives me some pause. I like the fact that it's a one year deal .. maybe it will bring out the best in Davon House."

If he does not go on Sunday, House will have missed 28 (of a possible 77) games during his time in Green Bay. He will turn 29 before next season starts.

Does anyone think that the soon-to-be free agent House can be counted on to be anything other than a #4 CB (behind King, Randall and ______??) in 2018 even if he is re-signed? 

12 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Does anyone think that the soon-to-be free agent House can be counted on to be anything other than a #4 CB (behind King, Randall and ______??) in 2018 even if he is re-signed?

Let's assume for a second that Davon House is re-signed.  Do you truly believe he won't be slotted to be a starting CB?

On 12/8/2017 at 12:02 AM, jfinley88 said:

so is damarious randall a solid starting CB now or no? i have no idea. 

Same, he's a ballhawk and makes plays but also seems to give up quite a lot as well.I think he's still pretty raw and could get a lot better, and fair play to him that incident earlier in the season could have had a negative impact on him but instead he has responded and played better.

Capers scheme doesn't really seem like a good fit anymore for the type of high efficiency style offenses many teams are running.  It feels like we are just conceding what teams are trying to do anyways.  Nobody is having their QBs make big drops and push the ball downfield they are getting the ball out quick and not taking many risks.

Archived