2021 Edge Prospects

Scoundrel

52 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This edge class looks better by the day. Love this guy.

Yeah he made himself a ton of money today.  I had Azeez Ojulari as easily the best 3/4 OLB before this and a potential early entry RS SOPH underclassmen, and after this showing it is not even a question if he is the best.  No 3/4 OLB prospect is even close to him in this class in terms of the explosiveness he brings and quickness off the ball.  Sure it was against a backup most of the time especially all the big plays in the second half but he took the game over and no 3/4 OLB has his upside and potential in this class.  He is a wonderful edge rusher with speed, should be a lock top 15 pick after this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah he made himself a ton of money today.  I had Azeez Ojulari as easily the best 3/4 OLB before this and a potential early entry RS SOPH underclassmen, and after this showing it is not even a question if he is the best.  No 3/4 OLB prospect is even close to him in this class in terms of the explosiveness he brings and quickness off the ball.  Sure it was against a backup most of the time especially all the big plays in the second half but he took the game over and no 3/4 OLB has his upside and potential in this class.  He is a wonderful edge rusher with speed, should be a lock top 15 pick after this.  

He reminds me a little bit of Von Miller in how he bends.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I hate to say it but that's also what I thought when I watched him.

True but Von Miller is a HOF player, Azeez could get there but is a RS SOPH that has only played two years at a high level, well arguably only one year at a high level.  He could have been like he was against Cincinnati all season but was not, still his get off is more impressive than any other edge 3/4 OLB prospect.

But come on Von Miller had more TFLs in one season than Azeez had his entire career.  So that is crazy high expectations for the kid.  Still he should be the first edge rusher taken in terms of 3/4 OLBs.

¾ OLB potential prospects:

Azeez Ojulari Georgia RS SOPH

Gregory Rousseau Miami FL RS SOPH - not sure he would be a fit there and might make a better 4/3 DE, does not have the quickness off the ball Azeez does.

Zaven Collins Tulsa RS JR - not sure he has the quickness to get around the edge and might be better in a 4/3 as a LB or a 3/4 ILB

Patrick Jones II Pitt RS - might be better as a 4/3 DE but could play in a 3/4 maybe but is not as quick as Azeez.

Joseph Ossai Texas JR - might be able to do it but was more a down 4/3 DE in college, if anyone can do it would be him but he is not at the level of Azeez.

Quincy Roche Miami FL - has a good chance to be a 3/4 OLB and could do very well but not sure he is as high of a level talent as Azeez.  

Andre Anthony LSU RS - has done amazing things as a 3/4 OLB or basic pass rusher and has been a legit linebacker before improving as a pass rusher, one of the only other put and play 3/4 OLBs outside of Ojulari.

Jaelan Phillips Miami FL - probably better as a 4/3 DE, might not have the foot speed to be a 3/4 OLB.

Charles Snowden Virginia - awesome prospect with rare length but cannot bend because of his length either.

Jamar Watson Kentucky RS - Kid is legit and a really talented player, total plug and play 3/4 OLB but could play a variety of positions, not as high level though.

Jayson Oweh Penn State RS SOPH - could be awesome as a 3/4 OLB but is still pretty raw and his lack sack production is a concern.  

Tyreke Smith Ohio State JR - nice looking talent but is very hot and cold as a pass rusher, big time ability though.

Cameron Goode Cal RS - another potential guy who can be just put in at a 3/4 OLB and play and do well.  Good quickness off the ball but not sure he is a high end talent.

JaQuan Bailey Iowa State RS - good looking talent who can get around the edge, not a super high level athlete though.

So out of these guys again Azeez is the best fit there as a 3/4 OLB where some others are better possibly as a 4/3 DE listed above  Roche is the only other one who has similar quickness off the ball but is not as strong and powerful as Azeez is.

Azeez Ojulari
Joseph Ossai
Quincy Roche
Andre Anthony
Charles Snowden
Jayson Oweh
Jamar Watson 
Cameron Goode
JaQuan Bailey

Also have these guys who will all factor is as potential 3/4 OLBs as well and some could move up a lot with good workouts.  

Daelin Hayes Notre Dame RS
Patrick Johnson Tulane
Hamilcar Rashed Jr Oregon State RS
Shaka Toney Penn State RS
Jordan Smith UAB RS
Janarius Robinson 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but Von Miller is a HOF player, Azeez could get there but is a RS SOPH that has only played two years at a high level, well arguably only one year at a high level.  He could have been like he was against Cincinnati all season but was not, still his get off is more impressive than any other edge 3/4 OLB prospect.

But come on Von Miller had more TFLs in one season than Azeez had his entire career.  So that is crazy high expectations for the kid.  Still he should be the first edge rusher taken in terms of 3/4 OLBs.

Neither of us(I'm assuming) were saying that Azeez is on the same level as Von as a prospect.  All we were saying is that his bend and flexibility around the corner reminds us of Von.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Neither of us(I'm assuming) were saying that Azeez is on the same level as Von as a prospect.  All we were saying is that his bend and flexibility around the corner reminds us of Von.

Get this vibe as well.

Man is he impressive. I get the feeling with the desperation for edges he goes top 12-15.

• Like 1

whoa.

Ojulari doesn't look like an elite athlete to me at all. A lot, if not all, those plays vs the Bearcats were hustle and technique. I think his best trait is versatility. He can play in space, has some coverage ability, can hold the point, and give you some rush. But he doesn't have great size or athleticism. Trying to think of a good comp for him the closest I could muster was Albert McClelin.

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

The words a little bit seem to have been missed

On 1/2/2021 at 2:34 PM, BrownLeader said:

whoa.

Ojulari doesn't look like an elite athlete to me at all. A lot, if not all, those plays vs the Bearcats were hustle and technique. I think his best trait is versatility. He can play in space, has some coverage ability, can hold the point, and give you some rush. But he doesn't have great size or athleticism. Trying to think of a good comp for him the closest I could muster was Albert McClelin.

Yeah, I have had my eye on him, he's good but I don't see the pop or juice that would make him a household name on the next level. Also he had the benefit of playing against the absolute worst LT I've seen put on a uniform #51 for UC, this guy is literally a oversized sloth playing LT. If you watched the game, he was a non factor until James Hudson got tossed for targeting. And watching more film, he feasts on overpowering the weak and taking advantage of guys who have horrible feet, but you get a big athletic OT and you can forget about it,  Alex Leatherwood was abusing him all game when they played Alabama, and his one big play was off of a missed assignment. 

I think he needs to continue to develop, he definitely has upside but to call him Von Miller...lol, where I see him, I'd give him Trent Cole in the 4-3 and Matt Judon in a 3-4 but its something missing for me.

Also separately, Tyreke Smith and Jonathan Cooper are rising. I looked at Tyreke Smith the same way I did Marshon Lattimore meaning he came in as a big time recruit and really didn't live up to his billing because of nagging injuries but played well in big games then caught fire and never looked back, this could be Smith. Cooper is a glue guy who has talent in his own right, he is outstanding vs the run and has been really stepped up his pass rush game. He is going to be a value pick for sure, and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a multi year starter in the future.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1