Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

39 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Because...work through it here...Hurts was not moving the ball outside of those 2 drives in the 2Q (agan - one of which was massively helped by officiating). Like at all. He was gifted the ball on the 15 and couldn't move it. He was not playing well. He had barely over 100 total yards of offense in 3Q and the 2nd lowest rating ever for an Eagles QB. 

Hurts was less effective the more the game wore on. So you go with someone else to see if they can do it.  And evaluate him and get tape on him.

At that point my scenario is correct. The Eagles were in a no-lose situation with the move.

So let me get this straight, The Eagles benched Wentz not too long ago for Hurts. Since then Hurts has done not bad per se. Some would way fairly well. So because Hurts isn’t having success and is struggling you think that your essentially 3rd string QB can do better? Baring in mind you just benched your supposed “franchise QB” weeks ago. If every team were to bench their starter because they’re struggling in a game then current state of quarterbacking would be dire. You’re cappin bro. There’s no justification. And how on earth is one quarter enough tape or evaluation? If you want an evaluation you give them at very least a half or a game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I disagree about his relationship with Wentz.  He likely had to be forced to start Hurts as he refused to make any change even as Wentz continued to be the worst starting QB in the NFL.  Too many guys have come out against Wentz for me to believe that anybody but Wentz is responsible for that relationship being broken.  But I wonder if hes broken his relationship with Hurts now.

I bet Wentz didn't like Pederson praising him for being vulnerable with his teammates about sucking as a QB in one of his final weeks starting. From an optics standpoint that's basically a kill shot when you're trying to be the leader of those guys. Pederson really been acting strange all season. Never seen a super bowl winner be this lame of a HC.

I watched parts of the game, only to watch the end and couldn't figure out what happened. Maybe Hurts got injured?  I didn't know, but then colinsworth said he wouldn't have done this. I had no clue, but maybe the coach wanted the WFT and Rivera to have a chance. Who knows how divisional grudges are in the NFC east.  Another way to look at it is  injury, and if Hurts tore and ACL and who would be the QB next year? We already know who it won't be, and if Hurts got a major injury and would be out for training camp  and most of next season?

I am not sure why people are so upset about this. Eagles have had numerous injuries through out the year on oline and wr weapons. Hurts struggled last night and why risk a Joe Burrow type issue with a serious injury because the oline couldnt protect you. Pulling him could piss off some Giants Fans but the Giants are also 6-10. Look at Miami you think a 10-6 team isn't pissed that the Bills didn't rest their starters and the Steelers did to give the Browns an advantage of making the playoffs going against backups the entire game to clinch a playoff spot while The Dolphins had to count on teams like the Jaguars to actually win a game. 

Whether you think it is tanking or not it is a choice the HC made and honestly the Giants dodged a bullet as Tom Brady would have destroyed them in the 1st round and they would have a worse pick then 11. You need to have your team take its own fate and not count on other teams to do it for you. 

As a giants fan, I'm not too upset about what the eagles did. The gmen won 6 games and had to rely on a rival with nothing to play for, and they got a quasi playoff game and win v. the cowboys. That's as good as they deserve.

As an NFL fan I'm a little upset. Some of the most memorable games are teams with seemingly nothing to play for beating playoff caliber teams (giants beating the undefeated broncos) and the fact that this was primetime and the last game of the regular season made it stand out. The game was already ugly and then they put suds in and I knew it was over. Not only that, but we could have had a division where all 4 teams had 10 losses lol.

Americans will complain about soccer, but in the European soccer leagues at least the bad teams are relegated.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter because whoever was coming out of the NFCE doesn’t stand a chance in the playoffs. No team from the division deserves to be in the playoffs.  The Giants gained 10 draft position spots last night, and we don’t have to watch them get embarrassed by TB next week.  

That being said, it’s my opinion that teams in the spoiler role in week 17 should play to win.  Historically this has been the case and teams and players take some pride in that.  Pederson playing to lose and getting to decide the division winner isn’t right.  And to do it on SNF in the last game of the season is shameful. The Eagles and the NFL should be embarrassed

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

No rational person is saying they should be punished. Just that it happened, and it was maybe more noticeably obvious than any other tank I’ve seen.

The purpose of this thread can be seen in the title.

Then this discussion is pointless.

You might as well ask the audience: Do you think NFL teams cheat too? The answers will be yes, but then what?

This isn’t going to effect the eagles in a negative way long term. They’re an old team full of guys who will be shipped off.

For those saying, “he was playing bad and deserved to get benched anyway”. Russell Wilson was the best QB they faced all year.

Russell Wilson first half @ Washington:

11/18, 71 passing yards, 55 rushing yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 13 total points scored offensively.

Russell Wilson final totals:

18/27, 121 passing yards, 52 rushing yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 20 total scored offensively.

Point being, it’s common for Washington to hold opposing offenses in check. Hurts was playing fine and gave them the chance to win.

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Ultimately it doesn’t matter because whoever was coming out of the NFCE doesn’t stand a chance in the playoffs. No team from the division deserves to be in the playoffs.  The Giants gained 10 draft position spots last night, and we don’t have to watch them get embarrassed by TB next week.  

That being said, it’s my opinion that teams in the spoiler role in week 17 should play to win.  Historically this has been the case and teams and players take some pride in that.  Pederson playing to lose and getting to decide the division winner isn’t right.  And to do it on SNF in the last game of the season is shameful. The Eagles and the NFL should be embarrassed

Well, your team played to win last year and you ended up with Andrew Thomas instead of Chase Young. Not trying to be a jerk either dude but there was literally no point in the Eagles winning. 

If the NFL was interested in protecting their product and integrity of the hand they would have expanded the playoffs. With only one team getting a 1st round bye teams really didn’t have much to play for week 16-17. If we are going to expand the regular season...we get to look forward to worthless weeks 15-17 going forward. 

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

For those saying, “he was playing bad and deserved to get benched anyway”. Russell Wilson was the best QB they faced all year.

Russell Wilson first half @ Washington:

11/18, 71 passing yards, 55 rushing yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 13 total points scored offensively.

Russell Wilson final totals:

18/27, 121 passing yards, 52 rushing yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 20 total scored offensively.

Point being, it’s common for Washington to hold opposing offenses in check. Hurts was playing fine and gave them the chance to win.

I didn't watch the game and don't know the full context, but unless they had 10 drops, 7/20 isn't "playing fine". 

7/20