-- [Complete] 2021 Head Coach Search - Nick Sirianni hired as Head Coach

Kiltman

21 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

So are we crediting Mike Vrabel or Sean McDermott with developing Tannehill/Allen? You can higher the right person to fix the QB without having him be a HC. This idea that we have to limit ourselves to one coach archetype is just silly. Again, would it be ideal? Yes. Is it the ONLY option? Absolutely not. Hire the person who will be the best coach and figure it out from there.

Fair on the Josh Allen one - though I think McDermott having things already in place and established helped lure a big hire OC like Daboll.

As far as Vrabel/Smith Ryan Tannehill was always a decent quarterback - if he played all 16 games his last year in Miami he would've went for something like 36 TDs, 12 INTs and about 3.5k yards. 

Also, let's say for example we hire Saleh - how deep is his coaching tree/contacts? And also, if you're an potential OC candidate are you going to tie your future to Wentz/Hurts? I know I wouldn't. 

EDIT - yeah, we'll move on to more optimistic things, sorry for derailing this. 

Edited by Scalamania

I'm leaning more and more towards a defensive coach honestly. 

Perhaps Saleh/someone could bring in a crafty QB coach/guru to run the offense or an established vet who's had success. 

Whichever QB road we chose its going to be a long one, why not have a good defense to help with the road ahead? 

Everyone keeps talking offense but we are a couple years from seeing that. Even the best QBs have problems with well coached defenses.  

I think Saleh could work with a bunch of scraps and have a respectable defense. Granted we may have to change the scheme but we're in such a bad cap mess that's all that we maybe able to add to the roster. 

3 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I'm leaning more and more towards a defensive coach honestly. 

Perhaps Saleh/someone could bring in a crafty QB coach/guru to run the offense or an established vet who's had success. 

Whichever QB road we chose its going to be a long one, why not have a good defense to help with the road ahead? 

Everyone keeps talking offense but we are a couple years from seeing that. Even the best QBs have problems with well coached defenses.  

I think Saleh could work with a bunch of scraps and have a respectable defense. Granted we may have to change the scheme but we're in such a bad cap mess that's all that we maybe able to add to the roster. 

Until we get over the injury hurdle it doesn't matter how great the offensive mind is. 

23 minutes ago, DeSean Jackson said:

The thing about hiring a defensive coach is when your offense is doing good somebody is def going to take him as more people want offensive coaches and it’s harder to coach a good offense to defense imo. You don’t want somebody to take away your offensive caller. 

That's because the NFL has placed such a high value on QBs when they shouldn't have. So now you have owners thinking they have to give Carson/Dak massive dollars on the 2nd contract just because its the norm. When it doesn't matter what QB you have unless everything else is in sync. 

Sam Darnold isn't bad he has no help. He won't get a massive deal

Rams did it right, they have an out of Goff's deal after '22 if they need it

Baltimore is going to pay a good amount for a QB who may never replicate that MVP season. 

I'm 100% behind a player getting his worth, I just think franchises are doing a good job assessing players in terms of production.