-- [Complete] 2021 Head Coach Search - Nick Sirianni hired as Head Coach

Kiltman

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Usually it goes the other way around. GM picks the coach. Personally, I prefer it that way. 

Agreed. But when you're looking for a fresh start and a new vision for the franchise sometimes you have to be bold. Who is going to come here, knowing Howie has as much control as he does, and seeing Howies record on personnel in the draft?

26 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So who won the power struggle here?  Howie or Wentz?

I can't say for sure. I think it's more like... Doug lost the power struggle when he sat down with Lurie and rolled out his plan like it was drawn in crayola crayons on a piece of yellow lined paper and he colored all of the people yellow...

25 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Both. But I think it was mostly Doug’s ineptitude and growing ego that got him ultimately canned. Once he got the hang of being a HC, he turned away from the openness that got him hired and helped us get a title.

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

Now that I have had time to think about it I think we're going to strike out on the top candidates (Daboll, Smith, Brady, Bieniamy) - I think we'll end up with someone like Jim Caldwell.  

Could see it, or Lurie trying to lure a coach that is in broadcasting. Is something I could see too.

His MO would be Brady or one of the Niners assistants people liked so much last year.

42 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Howie not sure why everyone continues to think this is about Wentz? Howie wanted Hurts, Howie wanted Reagor despite the scouts and coaches supposedly wanting Jefferson/Chin with their first two picks. Doug held off on playing Hurts as long as possible. FO made that decision for him IMO. 

Wentz will be traded if Howiebites the bullet and realizes, he's got very little value now. Especially when they know you want him out. GL.

42 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Howie not sure why everyone continues to think this is about Wentz? Howie wanted Hurts, Howie wanted Reagor despite the scouts and coaches supposedly wanting Jefferson/Chin with their first two picks. Doug held off on playing Hurts as long as possible. FO made that decision for him IMO. 

Wentz will be traded if Howiebites the bullet and realizes, he's got very little value now. Especially when they know you want him out. GL.

False.

Maybe they BOTH wanted Hurts, but you could tell that Doug wasn't in tune with Carson from the get go. Additionally Howie and Doug both seemed elated when they made the Hurts pick.

ESPN matchmaker says both defensive coaches are better grades 

Saleh B- 

Eberflus B- 

Everyone else is Cs and Ds 

Roman being the highest offensive coach C+ 

I think the rankings make a good case

No offensive coach is going to turn this unit around year 1, what's the easiest road to success. Solid run game + Defense until the QB situation is resolved. That formula fits with both Carson and Hurts. 

33 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

ESPN matchmaker says both defensive coaches are better grades 

Saleh B- 

Eberflus B- 

Everyone else is Cs and Ds 

Roman being the highest offensive coach C+ 

I think the rankings make a good case

No offensive coach is going to turn this unit around year 1, what's the easiest road to success. Solid run game + Defense until the QB situation is resolved. That formula fits with both Carson and Hurts. 

They don't see the forrest through the trees. If we don't fix Carson we could be in purgatory more or less.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

They don't see the forrest through the trees. If we don't fix Carson we could be in purgatory more or less.

And you saying he's fixable is what, beside optimistic? 

I'm in for weighing all the options:

-Swap Wentz plus extras for Watson

-Draft a QB with the 6th pick after trading Carson/Hurts

-Bring in a coach guru and hope the stubborn SOB returns to pre-injury 2017

-Roll the dice on Hurts trade Carson for pieces and play good defense with a run game

-Bring in a vet and roll with Carson/vet to ride out his contract until its financially feasible to detach. 

If I'm an offensive coach (which I believe I am), I don't know if I take a job where responsibility number 1 is to fix a QB who doesn't see he's broken or uncoachable. 

2 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

And you saying he's fixable is what, beside optimistic? 

I'm in for weighing all the options:

-Swap Wentz plus extras for Watson

-Draft a QB with the 6th pick after trading Carson/Hurts

-Bring in a coach guru and hope the stubborn SOB returns to pre-injury 2017

-Roll the dice on Hurts trade Carson for pieces and play good defense with a run game

-Bring in a vet and roll with Carson/vet to ride out his contract until its financially feasible to detach. 

If I'm an offensive coach (which I believe I am), I don't know if I take a job where responsibility number 1 is to fix a QB who doesn't see he's broken or uncoachable. 

I honestly cannot see the Texans coming in and making any trade involving Wentz for Watson. Pretty sure you are going to really need to sweep them off their feet to get Watson and in turn give them Carson's contract. That's gonna be alot.

Frankly you guys' have zero leverage as it pertains to Carson Wentz.