What Podcasts do you listen to?

ET80

25 minutes ago, QuinneyluvsNFL said:

Love my podcasts at the moment but I've found myself only listening to a few on a regular basis, the Around the NFL podcast as well as the The Dave Dameshek Football Program, both obviously official NFL pods.

For the Vapers among us, the Culture of Clouds podcast which was created by two big YouTube Vapers who get together weekly and deliver laughs, good info and reviews.

ATN is great, mostly when the 4 regulars are on (Colleen is awful), I've been listening for years. Dameshek is insufferable though. I can't listen to more than a minute of him.

On 7/25/2017 at 10:51 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Don't listen to many podcasts, but do love listening to "old time radio" from the 40's and 50's.  There are tons of them in the apple podcast collection, but you can also check them out here.  http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/

Here's a list of some of the "good, bad, and ugly" of OTR.  

If you love tv sitcoms or dramas, I think you'll like these. 

I recommend the following:

Drama:  Yours truly, Johnny Dollar (Insurance investigator that is involved with looking at questionable insurance claims)

Tales of the Texas Rangers (police procedural, set in Texas)

Suspense (stand alone suspenseful stories, think 1940's Black Mirror)

Dragnet (the predecessor of the great TV series)

Comedy:  

The Jack Benny Show (One of the funniest comedians ever....of course, that is my opinion. :) )

Burns and Allen (George Burns and Gracie Allen)

Fibber McGee and Molly (husband and wife dealing with daily life [very interesting war year episodes])  Be careful with the hall closet!  (Inside joke on the show)

Westerns:

Gunsmoke (predecessor to the long running tv show)

Have Gun, Will Travel (One of the only shows that started on tv, then moved to radio) 

There are tons of different websites that allow you to listen to these shows.  

If you have Sirius/XM, there is an entire channel devoted to these programs.

https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

These are set up more like podcasts, so you can download them more easily.  

I can't be the only old fart in here, can I?

O.o

11 minutes ago, LouBegaFreak said:

I'm gonna check some of these out, I've been looking for more story telling type stuff to add to my rotation.

The ones that I mentioned in the post that I quoted are all available at archive.org.  They also have TONS of concerts and classic films that can be listened to downloaded (legally).

They do have an app in the app store.  Search "The Internet Archive Companion."

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, coors said:

Only podcast I currently listen to is The Dan Le Batard Show w Stugotz... I also listen to Serial but that feels like it's been years since their last release.

Five Thirty Eight during the elections too..

I used to be an every day Le Barard show guy but now I tune in and out. Dan can honestly be so unbearable sometimes. Wake and Take has been/was fun.

1 hour ago, panther dude said:

I used to be an every day Le Barard show guy but now I tune in and out. Dan can honestly be so unbearable sometimes. Wake and Take has been/was fun.

The fill ins kill me.

Izzy and Spain are by far the best ringers. Clinton Yates is awful. 

Subscribed to a bunch these days.

History

• Hardcore History. The best podcast out there. In depth looks at various historical times or events. I've now listened to all of them except his latest and his WW1 series, which I'll get to soon.
  • Tides of History. It's pretty new but I like it so far. I really enjoyed The Fall of Rome, which is by the same guy.
  • History on Fire. Haven't started it yet outside of the intro episode, but seems interesting
  • The Age of Napoleon. Same as above.
  • Revisionist History. Malcolm Gladwell's podcast. Always tends to be quite interesting.

Super interesting things

• 99% Invisible. All different topics on things you never noticed or thought about in 15-30 minute episodes, like the effect of autopilot on pilots, the military's influence on the food you eat, the time Sweden changed from driving on the left side of the road to the right, an island named "Busta Rhymes  Island", and loads more

Stories

• Serial. One story per season told in 10 or so episodes. I believe this is the most downloaded podcast around. I really enjoyed both seasons so far.
  • Ear Hustle. Saw it recommended on the old forum. A prison inmate tells us what it's like in there.
  • This American Life. I've just listened to a few in "best of" lists. I'm only really interested in the hour-long story episodes

Comedy/Interviews

• Nerdist. Interviews with comedians/actors/musicians/etc. If I like the guest I'll tune in and enjoy it.
  • Dear Hank and John. For fans of the Green brothers.

• 2 weeks later...

Freakonomics - If you're into economics / numbers / statistics

This American Life - Really hit or miss.  But when it's a hit, it's a hit.

That American Life - A parody of This American Life.  Well executed

Serial - Real life crime drama / investigative journalism.  I loved it

RadioLab - Similar to This American Life.  Also made by NPR I believe

Wait wait don't tell me - Comedy news quiz show

A state of Trance - If you're into trance / progressive / EDM

• 1 month later...

For those guys who listen to Freakanomics - Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt are the keynote speakers at a conference I'm at. I have dead time tomorrow morning, so was going to listen. Never listened to their podcast, but heard nothing but great things.

Anyone listen to Homecoming?  It's a fictional story about a program that helps vets with PTSD, it stars Catherine Keener, Oscar Isaac, David Cross, David Schwimmer, Michael Cera, Alia Shawkat, and a few others.  The second season just finished and I really enjoyed it.  I'm pretty sure Amazon picked it up for a two season series.  

Edited by flyers0909