Future QB Discussion

G08

You can build around a QB who isn't on a rookie contract. The Saints have done it. The Patriots have done it. The Packers have done it. Basically you wait for the cap ceiling and the league average QB salary to rise and you try to hit consistently good draft classes to replenish the supporting cast. It's not impossible.

The way the Rams and Eagles built their teams works too and can catch lightning in a bottle, but it's a bit dangerous. It can leave you in a position where you've paid a huge contract to your QB even though he isn't very good. Goff, Wentz, even Flacco are examples of this.

As for Watson, you'd be trading away multiple drafts for him. You'd have to cut or trade key players just to make his contract fit under the cap. I don't think he wins a SB with what's left of the Bears roster.

The best path forward is to draft any QB this year without giving up future picks. That gives you a chance to find a future QB but also gives you flexibility to tear-down and rebuild in 2022.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If Mitch would've worked out then you and everyone else is singing a different tune.  The only time we tried to build around a QB while he was still under his rookie contract we were close to being a SB contender. 

But now since that ONE TIME didn't work out your ready to abandon the current modern philosophy that has worked for so many other teams just because Grossman didn't worked out 15 years ago when rookies were getting paid like stars right out the gate, and are willing to give up 3 YEARS of first round picks and more? 

Windy (or anyone) can you tell me the last time a team gave up that much capital and cap space and it worked out in their favor? I'll wait. 

We have never seen a QB of this level be traded before. That is why it is unlikely, but this is unprecedented.

The Bears gave up a ton to get Cutler and he was 1/4 the QB Watson is.

We weren’t close to being a Super Bowl contender with Mitch on a rookie deal. We won 0 playoff games. We scored 18 points in 2 playoff games. That isn’t a Super Bowl contender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

We have never seen a QB of this level be traded before. That is why it is unlikely, but this is unprecedented.

We weren’t close to being a Super Bowl contender with Mitch on a rookie deal. We won 0 playoff games. We scored 18 points in 2 playoff games. That isn’t a Super Bowl contender.

Look I wasn't the biggest Cutler guy and I think Watson is better than him and a very good QB at that but this is just flat out not accurate.

Like I said Watson is very good but let's be realistic...this is hyperbole

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Look I wasn't the biggest Cutler guy and I think Watson is better than him and a very good QB at that but this is just flat out not accurate.

It may be an exaggeration, but I don't know that I'd qualify it as "hyperbole".

Watson is really, really good. Look what he's done in what are pretty much inarguably bad circumstances. 

I'm not sure that getting Watson is really a better plan than trading up to get Fields or Wilson...unless the price in draft capital is cheaper. That alone would make his salary more palatable. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

And that set our franchise back 10 years.

Stop it.  If Mitch would've worked out we absolutely would have been SB contenders. 

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

And that set our franchise back 10 years.

Stop it.  If Mitch would've worked out we absolutely would have been SB contenders. 

What do you mean? They were in an NFC Title game 2 years later and were 7-2 when he broke his thumb the next year.

We celebrate 8-8 and 1 and done in the playoffs around here.

Jay never reached the heights we wanted, but “set the franchise back” isn’t even close to accurate.

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

It isn’t. He is a top 5 QB in the league. Cutler capped out as an average at best QB.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What's Philly's motivation to move him?  Unless they're getting a similar pick that they invested into him, they're better off keeping him around.

I was a big fan of Hurts coming out last year and nothing about his play in Philly last year changed that...I would give them a 2nd for him...I think with a better OL and more weapons he would be a quality pick up.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Watson's preferred destinations are apparently #1 NYJ and #2 Miami. No mention of Bears.

I'd still be surprised of he'd want to come play for Bears after Pace  passed him over but who knows.

Still a long shot

Pace is also good at keeping secrets - ex the Mack trade.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

What's Philly's motivation to move him?  Unless they're getting a similar pick that they invested into him, they're better off keeping him around.

He and Wentz don’t get along. A lot was made of Wentz being pissed he was drafted and going in the tank looking over his shoulder.

Then Pederson went with Hurts and the relationship with Wentz went real bad.