Update: (There was no search. You dreamed it) Shane Bowen is DC.

KingTitan

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

i certainly don't remember that last year. Don't remember it when Vrabel was hired either. I remember reports when Vrabel was hired that we were looking at Ryan Day and Matt LaFleur for OC(similar to how we've got a report that we were looking in to Elliot for OC and Austin for DC), but I certainly don't remember some extensive list.

The only times we're gonna get reports is when the candidates themselves leak it to the media, which means we're always going to be at least somewhat limited. Organization ain't listing ****.

When we were looking for DC's I remember Bettcher deciding between us or Giants.
We looked at Brian Callahan, Ryan Day, Matt Lafleur in separate years.

I think one reason that we didn't have a big conga line of interviews is because Vrabel has a very  precise list.

He wanted Ryan Day didn't get that. So went to Lafleur and that was end of the search.
Bettcher was a target, didn't get him and talked Pees out of retirement. End of search.

Lafleur leaves, Smith is at his door the first day. Interviews Callahan. Determines Smith was the best guy for job (and he was), end of search. 

Lol

So I don't think Vrabel is a cast a wide net person. I think he has his few targets. 

40 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

When we were looking for DC's I remember Bettcher deciding between us or Giants.

I think one reason that we didn't have a big conga line of interviews is because Vrabel has a very  precise list.

He wanted Ryan Day didn't get that. So went to Lafleur and that was end of the search.
Bettcher was a target, didn't get him and talked Pees out of retirement. End of search.

Lafleur leaves, Smith is at his door the first day. Interviews Callahan. Determines Smith was the best guy for job (and he was), end of search. 

Lol

So I don't think Vrabel is a cast a wide net person. I think he has his few targets. 

And if he doesn’t see anyone he likes, he will run it himself for better or worse. I’m somewhat okay with it just because when he has had his choice of hire, it has generally been a hit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Lol

vrabel has earned my benefit of the doubt with 2 good OC hires in a row. i personally hope we get some new blood in to help us balance out the offense a bit but ultimately won’t be mad about an internal promotion or whatever. 

defense....is another story. pees was obviously a good hire but the way things went down this past year destroyed any goodwill vrabel has on that side of the ball in my eyes. with a unit that bad you’d hope for wholesale change.

8 hours ago, KingTitan said:

And just for clarification:

Dean Pees last defense the Titans were:  21st Overall, 12th rushing 24th Passing.
Not exactly the Chicago 85.  :) 
We seemed better organized as a defense tho.

Titans got hot down the stretch so that’s what people remember 

Only way those numbers can go up is if they get a pass rush plain and simple 

Titans need a guy in the middle and opposite of Landry 

• Like 1

are there other teams left that haven't hired coordinators yet, aside from some of those that just hired new HCs? one i can think of is the vikings but gary kubiak only retired a couple days ago, so that makes sense

Edited by -Hope-

Are we waiting for a team playing in the Conference Championships?

I could see us trying to take a guy from Green Bay for the OC.
Maybe someone from Tampa Bay for the DC?

I dunno. Vrabel gonna coach both sides. And have no Coordinators. 

Or.

Eddie George and Keith Bulluck gonna be the coordinators....lol

A slow DC search is "somewhat" understandable because nobody was fired (even tho someone should be). We technically don't have an opening based on last year's set up.

But the no talk of an OC interview is more eye opening since we have a sure fire hole there with Smith gone. 

38 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

are there other teams left that haven't hired coordinators yet, aside from some of those that just hired new HCs? one i can think of is the vikings but gary kubiak only retired a couple days ago, so that makes sense

I know some of the Titans Twitter guys are big on Jim Leonhard and a couple college DCs. As a Badgers fan, I’d hate to lose Leonhard, but as a Titans fan I’d love it.

6 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Can’t wait to see the reaction when the press release comes out that we stayed in house for both coordinator positions.

this is what i'm expecting, solely because this franchise will never, ever escape the ghost of late era jeff fisher

19 hours ago, KingTitan said:

And just for clarification:

Dean Pees last defense the Titans were:  21st Overall, 12th rushing 24th Passing.
Not exactly the Chicago 85.  :) 
We seemed better organized as a defense tho.

What this ignores is the long stretch of games we played without Butler and Jackson.

We started 2019 as one of the only teams in NFL history to allow so few points but start like 2-4 or whatever it was we were before Tannehill took over. I forget what the exact record we set or come close to setting was, but I know it was related to points allowed.

The defense died, as you'd expect, when we had to play two replacement level players at starting CB positions for most of the 2nd half of the season.

The defense didn't get hot to end the year, it just got Adoree back which helped stop the bleeding some that was caused by both his and Butler's absence.

We were on track for a top 5 defense without losing them.