Update: (There was no search. You dreamed it) Shane Bowen is DC.

KingTitan

16 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

lol man i have to hand it to you, it's genuinely incredible that you are able to be optimistic about this

I will lose optimism if don't see us recognize the issue in the draft and free agency. I know we think differently about this, but I think we do need a big retooling defensively from a player perspective. We have to shake it up defensively from a player standpoint. I watched too many backups of backups get roasted last year. I believe we still need to find "that guy on d." We need someone who can game change consistently. Gotta find that game wrecker, or the help on the front that can unleash Simmons and turn him into that game wrecker.

Edited by twotonebluenation

5 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I will lose optimism if don't see us recognize the issue in the draft and free agency. I know we think differently about this, but I think we do need a big retooling defensively from a player perspective. We have to shake it up defensively from a player standpoint. I watched too many backups of backups get roasted last year. I believe we still need to find "that guy on d." We need someone who can game change consistently. Gotta find that game wrecker, or the help on the front that can unleash Simmons and turn him into that game wrecker.

Cue us picking OL and RB as our first two picks.

13 minutes ago, Bloeddyr said:

I've seen a few guys say we're going to win under 10 games or go 8-8 again. Usually I'm optimistic by nature, but I'm setting the O/U at 6.5. This is a massive IDGAF from Vrabel to us fans. 

it really does feel like our window slammed shut today.

• Like 1

I like to try to see things from both sides.

If I'm Vrabel. I have to recognize the defense did not help this team last year. It was the weak spot of a otherwise contending team.

I feel Vrabel/Robinson saw the failures of Beasley and the Pass rush. They made changes that they realistically could. I feel confident the looked into trades for pass rushers but nothing happened. 
They saw the problem with the secondary and injuries and tried to make changes and address them. 

• Traded for Desmond King
  • Cut Joseph
  • Rushed back Adoree
  • Gave Hooker more time
  • Was going to use Evans more as a rusher before Jayon's injury.
  • Used numerous combinations of linemen and rushers (Tart, Ray, Skipper, Brooks Reed, Roberson).
  • Tried to get the DB's to play more aggressive on the line, then they got beat deep
  • Tried to double team problem WRs and guys still allowed people like Brandin Cooks and Devonte Adams to beat them.
  • Undisciplined with their eyes on play action. ( Borders getting roasted. Byard getting roasted. Evans constantly biting.

You can't cut everyone. You can't replace everyone. What is any DC to do when some of these things happen? We haven't had a dominate defense since Washburn was here. We've had some good ones, mostly average.  And we've had some good defensive coaches roll through. 
We are missing a defensive version of AJ Brown/Derrick Henry.   We've had the good players (Morgan, Orakpo, Williamson). But don't have that MUTHASUCKA that is the man on defense.  Thought Byard was trending that way, but he can't do right. 

I'm so disappointed that he felt like there needed to be no real change outside of adding an assistant DL position. 

All we can hope for is that we magically find some players to make the scheme look better, because the scheme does not bring out the best in them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Welp, we wanted all asked for an official defensive coordinator.

Also the mockery we did with the Rooney Rule is quite shameful.

Yea the the problem in itself is way bigger than the Rooney Rule, and it is truly sad. I like the idea, but is definitely just a band aid that cant heal a bigger wound.

This may be the most disgusting hire I have ever witnessed being a fan of 20+ years with this team.

I honestly don't see how anyone can justify this nonsense.

It's one of two scenarios.

1) Vrabel had a ton of say on the defense which sucked and Bowen was a lackey. However, it makes no sense when he said Bowen ran it so what is the truth? So Vrabel could be a liar.

2) Bowen did run it as Vrabel alleged and our defense was a dumbster fire. So how can you explain this hiring?

Either way you look at this it, this is a joke and a buddy hire in the worst way.

I have serious doubts about Vrabel and his competence to lead this team. If Houston wasn't completely bombing out, we would be the laughing stock of the offseason so far.

This is truly pathetic and I will not be paying a cent to watch this crap product next season. We have 8-8 max written all over this team with this coaching staff.

Getting really sick of Vrabel's ego and questionable calls. I really think we have overhyped this clown in our mind and now the truth is surfacing. Defensive head coach who runs the worst defense in the league. Awesome.

Edited by Titan89
  • Like 1