Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

As of now, literally right this second, Spotrac has us at $40.6m in cap space; note, that figure has Simmons' $13.7m cap hit from the franchise tag removed but does not include what his new cap hit will be under the new deal.

If we assume it's $10m, which is likely at the very high end of possibilities, we still have over $30m to spend, $20m if you count the $10m we have to save for the rookie pool. 

32 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

As of now, literally right this second, Spotrac has us at $40.6m in cap space; note, that figure has Simmons' $13.7m cap hit from the franchise tag removed but does not include what his new cap hit will be under the new deal.

If we assume it's $10m, which is likely at the very high end of possibilities, we still have over $30m to spend, $20m if you count the $10m we have to save for the rookie pool. 

Just so it's clear - that 10.6M number is not the cap allocation we need to save.   Every player on the roster has a 600K minimum cap salary.   The 10.6M is the total rookie allocation needed - but you're replacing each rookie for a player that counts at least 600K already.

We have 9 picks - if we put 7 of them on the 53-man roster - then the cap hit only increases by 6.4M (10.6M - 7 players at 600K each).  If we put 8 rookies on the 53-man roster, it's 5.8M,  6 players on - it's 7M.

TL:DR version - Rookie allocation is lower cap-wise, subtract 600K for each player you add to 53-man roster.   It's probably somewhere around 6M.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

If you look across the league, how many Safeties are converted NFL CBs? i.e they have spent at least two years playing CB in the NFL, then moved to Safety?

I think too many people throw out the idea like it's something that is done often. It's very, very rare. The position is totally different and requires a totally different skillset. People like Kareem Jackson don't come around very often.

Is it really that uncommon? I can think of two Bronco's right off the bat, Steve Foley and Billy Thompson that spent 3/4 years as "meh" CB's and finished their careers as very good safeties.

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Is it really that uncommon? I can think of two Bronco's right off the bat, Steve Foley and Billy Thompson that spent 3/4 years as "meh" CB's and finished their careers as very good safeties.

Yes, it is uncommon. It's a different game than the 1970s and 1980s. The same way that QBs didn't throw 45 times a game back then

17 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If the Broncos can sign Fuller, and draft Parsons, I'd say the defense is then stacked to a point where signing Alex Smith makes sense because Smith won't turn the ball over. 

True, but Smith has ZERO mobility and doesn't fit the design of the offense that we'll put in place for Lock

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

And I'd rather get either a DL or Edge to eventually replace Von, Parson may be a stud from the shoulders down, it's the rest of him that worries me. 

Allbright is really doubling and tripling down hard that Paton will trade back if we get Fuller (he hasn't said for sure, but he keeps hinting that another big announcement is coming soon, and the transaction wire for releases becomes official at 4 PM ET).    I think it's far more likely we go EDGE, RT, or we go far enough back, go Zavien Collins at ILB.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2