Now that Pettine is gone, who should be the new DC?

BluePacker

11 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Thank you for the comprehensive list @Chili

My bets based off that list:

Johnny Holland
Perry Fewell
Jim Haslett

Names that interest me the most:

Austin
Hewitt

Interesting names:

The British guy from the Rams who coaches the Safeties
Belichick's  kid

Haslett makes me very uneasy...Like Holland, Austin, Hewitt

Marvin Lewis intrigues me.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Somebody find that information on how the best defensive coordinators are almost exclusively in year one or two on their new team. Defense will get a boost.  

What's this? A post where you dont threaten to leave again? 😄

• Like 1

On paper it looks like LaFleur has lots of options.

He could try to retain Pettine's defence through Jim Leonard and to some extent with Chris Hewitt and Teryl Austin.

He may want a defence similar to what his friend Robert Saleh runs so people like Kris Richards, Marquand Manuel, Jerome Henderson or any one of the 49ers coaches are options.

Maybe he's a big fan of Todd Bowles defence which is straight from the Bill Parcells tree. Kacy Rodgers is a major part of Todd Bowles coaching staff and overseen some elite defensive lines at the Jets, Miami and now Tampa. Or he could seek out an up and coming coach in Larry Foote but I imagine he would lean more towards Pittsburgh 3-4 system, its possible he could marry Pittsburgh 3-4 concepts with Bowles defence which is an interesting thought.

If he admires the Rams defence then Shula or Evero are options but it seems the Rams staff has already been purged of it best talents so the well may have run dry here.

If he likes the Patriots defence he has Brendan Daly, Jerod Mayo or Stephen Belichick to choose from.

Amazingly the Kansas coaching staff has remained untouched through the last two seasons. It might be an excellent opportunity to cherry pick the very best talents so Brendan Daly or Dave Merritt are legit options. Their coaching careers have been littered with Superbowl wins.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

On paper it looks like LaFleur has lots of options.

He could try to retain Pettine's defence through Jim Leonard and to some extent with Chris Hewitt and Teryl Austin.

He may want a defence similar to what his friend Robert Saleh runs so people like Kris Richards, Marquand Manuel, Jerome Henderson or any one of the 49ers coaches are options.

Maybe he's a big fan of Todd Bowles defence which is straight from the Bill Parcells tree. Kacy Rodgers is a major part of Todd Bowles coaching staff and overseen some elite defensive lines at the Jets, Miami and now Tampa. Or he could seek out an up and coming coach in Larry Foote but I imagine he would lean more towards Pittsburgh 3-4 system, its possible he could marry Pittsburgh 3-4 concepts with Bowles defence which is an interesting thought.

If he admires the Rams defence then Shula or Evero are options but it seems the Rams staff has already been purged of it best talents so the well may have run dry here.

If he likes the Patriots defence he has Brendan Daly, Jerod Mayo or Stephen Belichick to choose from.

Amazingly the Kansas coaching staff has remained untouched through the last two seasons. It might be an excellent opportunity to cherry pick the very best talents so Brendan Daly or Dave Merritt are legit options. Their coaching careers have been littered with Superbowl wins.

Qualifications obviously matter....so I'm unable to gauge between the different candidates.
I can say however that I'd prefer the guy come from an organization / defense thats been kicking our (and the league's) ***:  Tampa and/or San Fran comes to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

And what are the other 10 doing?

I can list four former head coaches who got fired as coordinator/consultant DCs this year alone.  Schwartz, Capers, Pettine, Nolan. 

Leslie Frazier is assistant HC and DC in Buffalo.

Lovie Smith is the DC in Houston.

Pat Shurmur is the OC in Denver.

Darrell Bevell is the OC in Jax.

Gus Bradley is the DC in Vegas.

Jason Garrett is the OC with NYG.

Jack Del Rio is the DC with WFT.

Denis Allen is the DC in New Orleans.

Raheem Morris is the DC with the LA Rams.  

Frazier, Allen, Del Rio and Morris have pretty decent defenses, wouldn't you say?  These guys won't be making a lateral move to GB but you questioned whether a former HC would be a decent DC and these 4 are good examples.

Edited by Pugger

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

And what are the other 10 doing?

I can list four former head coaches who got fired as coordinator/consultant DCs this year alone.  Schwartz, Capers, Pettine, Nolan. 

Nobody cares about a defensive assistant getting fired, capers doesn't apply. 

Schwartz chose to step away, he didn't get fired. "The report said Schwartz, 54, has decided to take a year off from coaching and might retire, in the wake of hip and eye surgeries. The Eagles’ defense, which came into the season lacking proven talent at linebacker, safety, and at cornerback outside of free-agent signee Darius Slay, currently is tied for 20th in the NFL, giving up an average of 26.5 points per game. Third-round rookie linebacker Davion Taylor is the only defensive player the Eagles have taken in the first three rounds in the 2018, ‘19 or ‘20 drafts. Taylor played 32 defensive snaps this season before going on injured reserve."

2 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

Guys - Yes we are all excited and hope Matt L will find the gem.

But remember Mannega is Matt L’s pick only. 

Fingers crossed...

Matt's pick was Darren Rizzi (who has done a bang-up job in NO) but Murphy didn't want to pay his asking-price, so we had to settle for Mennenga's rando ***.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Matt's pick was Darren Rizzi (who has done a bang-up job in NO) but Murphy didn't want to pay his asking-price, so we had to settle for Mennenga's rando ***.

Here's something I found interesting from McGinn at the Athletic which goes back to quotes from the initial hiring of Mennenga

Maurice Drayton, the assistant to Zook in 2018 after holding the same job in Indianapolis from 2016-17, interviewed for the coordinator job in Green Bay and assistant jobs with about five other teams. Eventually, he went back to the Packers as the assistant to Mennenga.

“I feel like he’s a special teams coordinator in the making,” said LaFleur. “I don’t think it’s going to be too long before he gets to run that room.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 2