Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

2 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Why does he need to overachieve? 

He's in a tier 1 market now and if they happen to win a SB?

His past will be the sins of Detroit.

I would categorize winning a SB in LA, as overachieving his current career wouldn't you? If he doesn't,  he has no HOF shot baring playing well into his 40's like Brady.

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

Wonder if Goff even stays with DET.   Could they move him to another team?  INDY, SF, CHI, DEN, NE

DET might not even need that much back in draft capital

Whoa whoa whoa. Why did you bring us into this?!?!   We avoided paying Trubisky a big contract and now just have Foles being overpaid for one more year.

Leave us alone or Pace might start getting ideas.

• Like 1

My first thought when hearing about this deal was that the Rams overpaid for Stafford.  Not because he isn't a very good quarterback - he is.  It's just that I question how many years he will still be playing.  I was guessing maybe 3-4 more years, but if the Rams were willing to give up these picks, they must have had some assurance from Stafford that he plans on playing longer than that.

With this in mind, it may not be all that bad of a deal for the Rams.  Stafford IS good, and I could see him leading that Rams team to the Super Bowl.  If they get a Super Bowl or two out of this deal, it will (and should) be looked upon as a success.  The thing to remember is that those first round picks will in all likelihood be picks in the high 20s at worst.  Stafford is worth that kind of draft capital.

This was also a good deal for Detroit, however.  They got some nice picks for moving on from a QB who wanted to leave and they can use those picks for their rebuild.

Maybe when we are able to look back on this trade with the benefit of hindsight, this will be looked upon as a good trade for both sides.

On another note, one thought that crossed my mind is that if Stafford brought Detroit 2 first rounders and a third, how much must Desean Watson be worth in trade?  Then it dawned on me, how much is Gardner "Mississippi Mudflap" Minshew going to bring in trade for the Jaguars? 

The last time the Rams selected a player in the first round was ... Goff in 2016. That pick came via a trade that sent the Rams’ 2017 first-rounder to the Tennessee Titans. Since then, the Rams have also traded away their first-round picks in 2018 (Brandin Cooks), 2019 (traded down for more picks), 2020 (Jalen Ramsey), 2021 (Ramsey again) and now 2022 and 2023 for Stafford.

This is absolutely astonishing,  7 straight years?