Peyton Manning appreciation thread

notthatbluestuff

With the news that Peyton officially made the Hall of Fame (shocker), let's look back on his career.

Imagine this: the year is 2051. Some whippersnapper on FF has just made a thread entitled "What was so great about Peyton Manning?" As one of the few remaining forum veterans old enough to have seen those ancient years of the 2000s and 2010s firsthand, it's up to you to school this youngster. What do you post in that thread to explain your thoughts about Peyton Manning as a player? 

peyton-manning-ftw-scaled.jpg

Manning was a machine.  It was almost boring to watch when I was younger, but looking back he was flat-out masterful.  He'd have drives throughout a game where it felt like nothing could go wrong.  And while he was surrounded by some amazing players like Harrison and Wayne, he led an offense that between 1999-2010 only fell outside of the top five in scoring 3 times... and 1 of those times, they were 7th in the league.  It wasn't only because of a Peyton, but he was usually a big reason why.  As a fan, it always seemed like he understood the game better than anyone else around him.  He didn't have the elite physical skillset of a Mahomes or the ability to make every throw from every angle like a Rodgers, but he "got" the QB position better than probably anyone else I have ever seen other than Tom Brady. 

When I think of the strategy of not leaving enough time on the clock for the other QB to string together a drive, Peyton Manning is the first guy I think of.  Their no-huddle was so fast and efficient, they didn't need a lot of time.  And while I've said in the past that I felt like Brees deserved the 2009 MVP, to his credit Manning consistently throughout the season proved why you can't leave him any time.  Which is probably why 4th and 2 is the game I'll always remember him the best by.

Belichick, in the conversation for best head coach of all-time and one of the greatest defensive minds ever, had his team holding a 6 point lead with 2:08 remaining and yet he still preferred to go for it on 4th and 2 from his team's 28-yard line rather than punt the ball back to Manning.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 6

I could go on and on about PFM but I'll try to keep it short and sweet 🙂.

Quite simply Peyton Manning is the reason I became a fan of American Football. His play was just awesome to watch. Would just go on the field.....completion, completion completion, Touchdown. It was even more impressive in the no huddle, he could drive down the field in seconds and score.

He is the epitome of the on the field coach. An absolute master of the game who could read defences like the back of his hand and make the adjustments seamlessly. It's extremely fascinating to watch him at the line, directing his Offence to take full advantage of what the D is showing him and making the big play.

Then there's the highlights you can look back on. The game against Tampa Bay leading a 21 point comeback in 4 minutes!! The record matching 7TD game against the SB champion Ravens on opening night, the 55 TD season, and of course the comebacks against New England.

If you want to watch the Quarterback position being played at its best, you can't do much better than watching the sheriff in action. 

of course his playoff career isn't great and that's something that won't go away, but it's hard to win Super Bowls and not many can win multiple rings. Special Teams and Players have done it but you can look at other talented players who have only won one or not at all.

So he's not the greatest QB statistically to have ever played the game but he'll always be in the discussion of the top to have done it and I'll always consider him the greatest player for all the entertainment he provided to me and for drawing me into the sport.

Fully deserved First Ballot HOF'er. Thank you as always Number 18.

• Like 2

Computer brain, read defenses like a boss, deadly accurate, horse face, regular season guru, enormously long forehead, good arm at his peak and people should remember that over his latter career noodle, always had good weapons compared to some of his peers but also elevated everyone around him.

• Like 1

More of a football playing automaton than a man.

As a Vols fan, I love him.  As a Titans fan, I will always remember him picking up at least one first down for 12 men on the field, every ******* game, twice a season, for a decade and a ******* half.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

As a Vols fan, I love him.  As a Titans fan, I will always remember him picking up at least one first down for 12 men on the field, every ******* game, twice a season, for a decade and a ******* half.

That is a skill that really shows which QBs have true mastery of their craft.

I watched him do it with the Broncos and grinned ear to ear every time. Rodgers does it too. And Brady can get you too when he goes hurry up.

• Like 1

When it came time for Mike Chappell to present Peyton Manning to the Hall of Fame voters he stood up and said, “He’s Peyton Manning” and then sat down. He said that he always wanted to do that especially after having to do a whole lot more in selling Edgerrin James to the same voters a year before. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Manning was a machine.  It was almost boring to watch when I was younger, but looking back he was flat-out masterful.  He'd have drives throughout a game where it felt like nothing could go wrong.  And while he was surrounded by some amazing players like Harrison and Wayne, he led an offense that between 1999-2010 only fell outside of the top five in scoring 3 times... and 1 of those times, they were 7th in the league.  It wasn't only because of a Peyton, but he was usually a big reason why.  As a fan, it always seemed like he understood the game better than anyone else around him.  He didn't have the elite physical skillset of a Mahomes or the ability to make every throw from every angle like a Rodgers, but he "got" the QB position better than probably anyone else I have ever seen other than Tom Brady. 

When I think of the strategy of not leaving enough time on the clock for the other QB to string together a drive, Peyton Manning is the first guy I think of.  Their no-huddle was so fast and efficient, they didn't need a lot of time.  And while I've said in the past that I felt like Brees deserved the 2009 MVP, to his credit Manning consistently throughout the season proved why you can't leave him any time.  Which is probably why 4th and 2 is the game I'll always remember him the best by.

Belichick, in the conversation for best head coach of all-time and one of the greatest defensive minds ever, had his team holding a 6 point lead with 2:08 remaining and yet he still preferred to go for it on 4th and 2 from his team's 28-yard line rather than punt the ball back to Manning.

Belichick knew that if Peyton got the ball back, the game was over, regardless of whether it was at his own 20 or the Patriots.

Genuinely don't think there is another QB in NFL history that could strike that much fear into him at the height of their powers.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Watching those big men try to run off the field before he could snap the ball was always one of the funniest things you could see in a football game. The moment of recognition in their face was always great. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rich homie said:

Belichick knew that if Peyton got the ball back, the game was over, regardless of whether it was at his own 20 or the Patriots.

Genuinely don't think there is another QB in NFL history that could strike that much fear into him at the height of their powers.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for those matchups. Genuine respect and extremely high level play and coaching between several all time greats.

• Like 1