2021 DRAFT PROSPECTS

Karnage84

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Eric Ebron is to Kyle Pitts what Roy Williams was to Calvin Johnson. Pitts catches the ball like an elite NFL WR. Ebron catches the ball like my deceased grandmother. Pitts isn't a TE. The dude is a WR.

This isn't even close to Pitts's most impressive play of 2020. Rather, it's a fairly routine play for him. But watch the way he absolutely works Israel Mukuamu in the red zone:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30030596

That's a 6'3" CB. That's the sort of guy who is supposed to be able to neutralize Pitts. He's a CB who has been talked about as a potential Day 2 pick. Pitts turns him inside out.

The Calvin comparison really rings true in this situation not just because of the players themselves but also the situation.  Drafting a WR had become a running joke in Detroit.  3 in the top 10 prior to Calvin.  Do you pass on Calvin because of past mistakes?  Do you pass on Pitts for that reason?  I almost look at having Hock as a bit of an advantage or extra + in regards to Pitts because it nearly guarantees he will be used properly and be that much more of a nightmare to deal with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Time and again, we've all said it a) depends on how you want to play him (WR or TE) and b) how fast does he run? 

If he ran a 4.57 or a 4.60 then yeah, your points are warranted. He's running in the mid-4.4's at his height and weight, which is unreal. That's a really good speed for a guy who is 6'2, 200 lbs let alone 6'6, 240 lbs. 

It would be a waste of his talent to play him as a TE. Let him be that big, athletic WR that you can also occasionally play him in at TE when/if it is needed. 

The nice part of it all is that if they do go with Pitts, he fits with the offensive personnel. Perriman and Williams are more vertical threats. Hockenson can be the traditional TE. That'll allow you to move Pitts around at the WR spot to maximize his opportunities. You'll basically have 11 personnel with the size of 12 personnel. Could be quite effective for the running game. But I doubt that Pitts will be the pick.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't know if Pitts will even be there for us at #7. If he isn't, either Chase will be there or one of the QB's will slip down and give us a trade back scenario. 

I expect somebody takes Pitts in the top 6, so it ends up being a moot point.

46 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

The Calvin comparison really rings true in this situation not just because of the players themselves but also the situation.  Drafting a WR had become a running joke in Detroit.  3 in the top 10 prior to Calvin.  Do you pass on Calvin because of past mistakes?  Do you pass on Pitts for that reason?  I almost look at having Hock as a bit of an advantage or extra + in regards to Pitts because it nearly guarantees he will be used properly and be that much more of a nightmare to deal with.  

Calvin was the clear cut #1 prospect in the draft IIRC. One of the few people who didn't see it that way was a senile Al Davis. 

• Like 2

Mel Kiper released a new mock, I know its Kiper but whatever it gives us something to chat about.  He had the 4 QBs going 1-4, Pitts going 5 to Cincy and then Chase, Smith, Waddle in that order. Sewell went 9 to MN, Parsons went 14 to Denver.  

If the draft goes this way, who do you want?

1. Lawrence - Jax

2. Wilson - Jets

3. Fields - Car

4. Lance - Atl

5. Pitts - Cinci

6. Chase - Philly

7. ??????

I am runnign to the podium with Penei Sewell if you ask me.  If not then I would easily want to trade down and target Parsons.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Mel Kiper released a new mock, I know its Kiper but whatever it gives us something to chat about.  He had the 4 QBs going 1-4, Pitts going 5 to Cincy and then Chase, Smith, Waddle in that order. Sewell went 9 to MN, Parsons went 14 to Denver.  

1. Lawrence - Jax

2. Wilson - Jets

3. Fields - Car

4. Lance - Atl

5. Pitts - Cinci

6. Chase - Philly

7. ??????

I am runnign to the podium with Penei Sewell if you ask me.  If not then I would easily want to trade down and target Parsons.  

That's pretty close to best case scenario imo.

53 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

1. Lawrence - Jax

2. Wilson - Jets

3. Fields - Car

4. Lance - Atl

5. Pitts - Cinci

6. Chase - Philly

7. ??????

I think you have to go Sewell there or you just take the biggest haul from a team like the Cowboys who need offensive line help in the biggest way. Decker has been a very good but not great LT. We have major questions at RT. It would not hurt to have our LTOTF on the roster while also shoring up the right side in the process. Vaitai is likely going to be playing RG. 

Parsons seems to have character issues that I don't know if the Lions FO would sign off on. Dorsey might be cool with it but I think generally he might not fly unless it's a whole lot about nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

1. Lawrence - Jax

2. Wilson - Jets

3. Fields - Car

4. Lance - Atl

5. Pitts - Cinci

6. Chase - Philly

7. ??????

Sewell, Smith, Waddle, Slater. If by some freakish chance Sewell is there he would be my pick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Calvin was the clear cut #1 prospect in the draft IIRC. One of the few people who didn't see it that way was a senile Al Davis. 

I don’t know about clear cut.  He was definitely at the top of some draft boards but that was a loaded draft both in terms of how they were viewed as prospects and how some turned out.  Joe Thomas was widely considered not only the best LT prospect in years but also the cleanest.  AP was right there with Bush as the top rb prospect of the decade and beyond.  A lot of people had Gaines Adams penciled in as the next Simeon Rice and Landry and Willis were both considered the best prospects at there positions in years. Al Davis was also not the only one enamored with JRuss’s upside. That said I distinctly remember wanting Calvin desperately with the pick despite the WR history and my own man crushes at the time with AD and Willis.  

Calvin was a beast and an true generational caliber prospect but he had points of concern like everyone ever.  Played in super run heavy option offense.  Little to no route true, caught bombs of play action and housed slants.  Obviously every saw all the potential in the world was there. 

It’s hard to argue against the point that the best WR, RB, MLB , LT, CB and maybe even OG for the next decade of NFL football all came out of this draft. Excluding OG the others all came in the first 14 picks of the draft.

Edited by BigC421/

8 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I don’t know about clear cut.  He was definitely at the top of some draft boards but that was a loaded draft both in terms of how they were viewed as prospects and how some turned out.  Joe Thomas was widely considered not only the best LT prospect in years but also the cleanest.  AP was right there with Bush as the top rb prospect of the decade and beyond.  A lot of people had Gaines Adams penciled in as the next Simeon Rice and Landry and Willis were both considered the best prospects at there positions in years. Al Davis was also not the only one enamored with JRuss’s upside. That said I distinctly remember wanting Calvin desperately with the pick despite the WR history and my own man crushes at the time with AD and Willis.  

Calvin was a beast and an true generational caliber prospect but he had points of concern like everyone ever.  Played in super run heavy option offense.  Little to no route true, caught bombs of play action and housed slants.  Obviously every saw all the potential in the world was there. 

It’s hard to argue against the point that the best WR, RB, MLB , LT, CB and maybe even OG for the next decade of NFL football all came out of this draft. Excluding OG the others all came in the first 14 picks of the draft.

That draft was so loaded but still, Calvin was the easy choice there.  Yes the others turned out great but I don't think there was anyone who didn't think Calvin was the best player in that draft. 

So many just good players in that 1st round too.  Ginn, Levi Brown, Lynch, Timmons, Griffin, Bowe, Merriweather, Beason, Meachum, Spencer, Staley, Olsen all came out of that first round.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That draft was so loaded but still, Calvin was the easy choice there.  Yes the others turned out great but I don't think there was anyone who didn't think Calvin was the best player in that draft. 

So many just good players in that 1st round too.  Ginn, Levi Brown, Lynch, Timmons, Griffin, Bowe, Merriweather, Beason, Meachum, Spencer, Staley, Olsen all came out of that first round.  

It’s unreal, Grubbs was a stud. Leon Hall and Reggie Nelson both played at a pro bowl level for a few years. Woolley, Posluszny, Weddle, and Rice all in the top 50 picks as well.  

Millen of course took TL’s all time favorite human being Ikaika Alama-Francis over Ryan Kalil and Gerald Alexander over Marshal Yanda

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

1. Lawrence - Jax

2. Wilson - Jets

3. Fields - Car

4. Lance - Atl

5. Pitts - Cinci

6. Chase - Philly

7. ??????

If we do not trade back in that situation, I definitely take Sewell. 

Trade down, gather more equity, select Zaven Collins. He reminds me so much of Urlacher, big fast skilled and dominant. Also a position of need.  I think he will be better in the long run than Parsons. Parsons scares me because of his character and he is mocked so high based off of more potential than production. Yeah he produced a ton of tackles in one year but he just never seemed to dominate on a consistent basis. Just my observation but Collins just seems like he will have a greater impact for a winning culture, plus we won't have to play the whole he can play lb or safety role but never gets defined.