If Jaguars draft Lawrence, how fast will they win two Super Bowls?

pf9

29 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hahaha!  Nah, I'm not much of a Brunell historian at all.  I'm just a guy who is excited about the prospects that my change of scenery have brought me.  Even though the Jags haven't been a very successful franchise in the past, it really has been a breath of fresh air and a jump start to my love for the game in general.  I'll admit to probably being a little over-hyped at this point, but it's a lot of fun dealing with a team that has some decent pieces already in place, a bunch of quality draft picks, a ton of salary cap money, and a new coaching staff. 

You're right about my time with the Vikings.  I saw all four Super Bowl losses as well as five NFCCG losses.  I know full well that nothing is ever guaranteed.  This is just that time of the year when we can all dream about our team making big strides for the upcoming season, and I'm going to cling to the dream as long as I can.  :)

Hey we all loved our new toys, trinkets, and gadgets that we ripped open on Christmas morning, so I totally get the renewed enthusiasm and optimism. I'm a looooong suffering Jets fan who was born roughly 123 months after my team won their one and only world title, and I've done nothing but suffer since 1985. Only time I thought my boys could legit bring it home again was the Parcells and early Pennington eras (those were some GOOD football teams). I could use some of that good feelings you've got going on lol.

I'm just saying don't set yourself up for a let down. As insignificant as sports fandom truly is in the grand scheme of life, it does really suck when your team doesn't live up to your personal expectations and you have to perennially watch anyone but your team duke it out for the Lombardi. Your old team had a dynamite all time great QB and a dynamite all time great DL and still came up short 4 times (once with Kapp and not Tark, I know, I know). Changing allegiances don't mean a thing to me (I openly rooted against the Rex Ryan Jets, I HATED that era, and I was in ecstasy when Ahmad Bradshaw decapitated Brodney Poole on his TD run, effectively bringing an unofficial end to the Ryan era), but let it play out and let your fandom build organically. Trevor Lawrence is fun to dream about, but let the kid get his a$$ kicked by grown men a couple of times and see how he responds, then we can talk about how many rings the kid (and by extension, the franchise) just may potentially have in them.

And I personally love how civilly we can disagree on this board. True gentleman s**t. Nuff respect. Enjoy your day fellow NFL fans.

ETA: As for Mark Brunell, he was a pretty good QB for his era, top ten for sure and was viewed as a poor man's Steve Young. Those early Jaguars teams were as fun to watch as any other team. I was really nervous heading into our playoff game with them in the '98 season, but Keyshawn Johnson calmed me down by putting on one of the finest and dominant displays of being a football player (not just a WR) I had ever witnessed that Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Freeman McToon
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Freeman McToon said:

Hey we all loved our new toys, trinkets, and gadgets that we ripped open on Christmas morning, so I totally get the renewed enthusiasm and optimism. I'm a looooong suffering Jets fan who was born roughly 123 months after my team won their one and only world title, and I've done nothing but suffer since 1985. Only time I thought my boys could legit bring it home again was the Parcells and early Pennington eras (those were some GOOD football teams). I could use some of that good feelings you've got going on lol.

I'm just saying don't set yourself up for a let down. As insignificant as sports fandom truly is in the grand scheme of life, it does really suck when your team doesn't live up to your personal expectations and you have to perennially watch anyone but your team duke it out for the Lombardi. Your old team had a dynamite all time great QB and a dynamite all time great DL and still came up short 4 times (once with Kapp and not Tark, I know, I know). Changing allegiances don't mean a thing to me (I openly rooted against the Rex Ryan Jets, I HATED that era, and I was in ecstasy when Ahmad Bradshaw decapitated Brodney Poole on his TD run, effectively bringing an unofficial end to the Ryan era), but let it play out and let your fandom build organically. Trevor Lawrence is fun to dream about, but let the kid get his a$$ kicked by grown men a couple of times and see how he responds, then we can talk about how many rings the kid (and by extension, the franchise) just may potentially have in them.

And I personally love how civilly we can disagree on this board. True gentleman s**t. Nuff respect. Enjoy your day fellow NFL fans.

I might be living with beer goggles on right now, but there will be plenty of time to deal with reality when I "sober up."  It's like being on your honeymoon.  There will be a lifetime of living with one another when the passion dies down and you're back at home and back at work, etc.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep the honeymoon going for as long as possible! 

Good luck to your Jets.  You are only one spot behind us in the draft, and I LOVE your new head coach hire.  The future could be looking very bright for your team too before long.  Hang in there, brother!

P.S. - Welcome to Football's Future!

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I might be living with beer goggles on right now, but there will be plenty of time to deal with reality when I "sober up."  It's like being on your honeymoon.  There will be a lifetime of living with one another when the passion dies down and you're back at home and back at work, etc.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep the honeymoon going for as long as possible! 

Good luck to your Jets.  You are only one spot behind us in the draft, and I LOVE your new head coach hire.  The future could be looking very bright for your team too before long.  Hang in there, brother!

P.S. - Welcome to Football's Future!

IMbufS2.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’m going to go so far in saying that there is literally no chance that Lawrence could be worse than Darnold. He’s infinitely better as a prospect...like it’s not close...not in the same stratosphere. If Lawrence isn’t a perennial top 10 QB by year 2, honestly, I’ll be really disappointed.

Again - I think you're getting caught up in names. And I think you're discounting the guys currently in the top 10 if you think Lawrence is going to jump into that discussion after Y2.

It would take me being REALLY wrong about Lawrence’s mental makeup/work ethic or injury.

Or, it just takes time for guys to acclimate. 

Of course he COULD bust. Peyton Manning and John Elway could have also busted...but for a handful or prospects over the past decades, you can say it’s pretty unlikely unless something catastrophic happens. 

Is there a happy middle we can discuss... or is it elite vs bust?

Let's say his first few years he's on an Andrew Luck track - very accomplished, but always comes up short by a few weeks? Playoff performances, a few playoff wins, but always comes up short to SB aspirations? A great QB, but on the outside of the top 10?

Will you REALLY still be disappointed?

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Again - I think you're getting caught up in names. And I think you're discounting the guys currently in the top 10 if you think Lawrence is going to jump into that discussion after Y2.

Or, it just takes time for guys to acclimate. 

Is there a happy middle we can discuss... or is it elite vs bust?

Let's say his first few years he's on an Andrew Luck track - very accomplished, but always comes up short by a few weeks? Playoff performances, a few playoff wins, but always comes up short to SB aspirations? A great QB, but on the outside of the top 10?

Will you REALLY still be disappointed?

I'm just saying that if you told 1998 Colts fans to not get too excited about Peyton Manning because he could bust...that would have been foolish.  Of course Peyton Manning could have busted. Anyone COULD bust. But the likelihood was so low that...heck yeah, Colts fans should have been excited about rookie Peyton Manning moving foward. Lawrence is the best prospect that I've seen since Manning...so absolutely...Jaguars fans SHOULD be excited right now. They have every right to be excited and have really high expectations. 

Regarding Luck...not as good as Lawrence as a prospect...and absolutely he had a disappointing career. But even with that said...he was still a top 10 QB many of those years (the years he wasn't hurt)...and he still had playoff appearances. But yes...he was disappointing. If Lawrence has a worse career than Luck, it will be incredibly disappointing, as he is a better prospect and, as I said, Luck underachieved.

2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I'm just saying that if you told 1998 Colts fans to not get too excited about Peyton Manning because he could bust...that would have been foolish.

You have to admit - asking when Lawrence is going to win his SECOND Super Bowl is a few stoplights past "excited". 

4 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Regarding Luck...not as good as Lawrence as a prospect.

Disagree, but it's a nominal difference. If Lawrence is a 99.2, Luck is a 99.1 at absolute worst.

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

But even with that said...he was still a top 10 QB many of those years (the years he wasn't hurt)...and he still had playoff appearances.

I think he was just outside the top 10 - 11-13, very respectable overall.

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

If Lawrence has a worse career than Luck, it will be incredibly disappointing, as he is a better prospect and, as I said, Luck underachieved.

Ok - Phillip Rivers. Former #4 pick in the draft, cost the Chargers Osi Uminyora along with Eli on that trade, very long and productive career, but maybe hovers somewhere in the 8-13 range.

Is anybody who follows SD/LAC upset by Rivers? Would you be if Lawrence gets to that point?

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You have to admit - asking when Lawrence is going to win his SECOND Super Bowl is a few stoplights past "excited". 

Disagree, but it's a nominal difference. If Lawrence is a 99.2, Luck is a 99.1 at absolute worst.

I think he was just outside the top 10 - 11-13, very respectable overall.

Ok - Phillip Rivers. Former #4 pick in the draft, cost the Chargers Osi Uminyora along with Eli on that trade, very long and productive career, but maybe hovers somewhere in the 8-13 range.

Is anybody who follows SD/LAC upset by Rivers? Would you be if Lawrence gets to that point?

If Lawrence is just an average QB it will have meant that he either got injured or didn't put in the work...so absolutely I would hope that Lawrence would become a better QB than Rivers. I have high expectations for him...I hope he also has high expectations for himself. The sky really is the limit if he can stay healthy and he puts in the work. 

BTW...anyone expecting ANY QB to win Super Bowls has a poor sense of history. Super Bowls are a team achievement...so no...I wouldn't put that one Lawrence. But absolutely I would expect to see him as a top 10 QB. That is something that he can control. The HOF is littered with QBs with have one SB.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

If Lawrence is just an average QB it will have meant that he either got injured or didn't put in the work...so absolutely I would hope that Lawrence would become a better QB than Rivers.

I personally think that's a setup to be disappointed, but that's just me.

19 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

BTW...anyone expecting ANY QB to win Super Bowls has a poor sense of history. Super Bowls are a team achievement...so no...I wouldn't put that one Lawrence. But absolutely I would expect to see him as a top 10 QB. That is something that he can control. The HOF is littered with QBs with have one SB.

I agree with this...

On 2/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, Danger said:

Giants D-Line* did it

COUGH

Was it the D-Line that led the final game-winning drive with 2 minutes left in the game against the undefeated Patriots in the '07 Super Bowl?  Nope.  That was Eli.  You have to give the guy at least some credit.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Was it the D-Line that led the final game-winning drive with 2 minutes left in the game against the undefeated Patriots in the '07 Super Bowl?  Nope.  That was Eli.  You have to give the guy at least some credit.

They still only scored 17 points. That'd be like giving the Eagles Defense credit for winning Super Bowl 52.