Propose A Trade Thread

the lone star

25 minutes ago, R T said:

I doubt Simmons gets moved without an All-Star caliber player coming back in return. 

I get this, and I get why they'd go that way. If they can use him as the cornerstone of a Beal or Dame deal then you 100% do that.

But I don't think they'll pull that off right now, and that failing, Hield/Haliburton is a fantastic Embiid-centric backcourt option. Bagley becomes a lottery ticket, either he improves in escaping Sacramento or you use him as an expiring deal to grab a 3/D wing. That's a championship contender roster next year if everyone stays healthy. Like, that's the #2/3 seed in the east behind Brooklyn and maybe Milwaukee next year, right?

16 hours ago, R T said:

I doubt Simmons gets moved without an All-Star caliber player coming back in return. 

That's fine.  Unfortunately, nobody is handing an All Star-caliber player back to Philadelphia given the playoff series that Simmons just had.  His value is an an all-time low.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's fine.  Unfortunately, nobody is handing an All Star-caliber player back to Philadelphia given the playoff series that Simmons just had.  His value is an an all-time low.

NBA talent evaluators are not prisoners of the moment like fans are. The trade season is still very early and Philadelphia has no reason to firesale him. 

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I still think Philadelphia can get a pretty good return on Simmons despite his bad series against Atlanta. Did it hurt his value, probably, but it didn't tank it completely. Simmons definitely contributed to their collapse but lets not forget that Embiid and Harris also laid eggs in key games that would've likely won the series. Embiid went 4/20 including 0/12 in the second half in a 3 point loss that would've put Philly up 3-1. And Harris went 2/11 in a 3 point loss that would've put Philly up 3-2 then followed that with an 8/24 performance in their game 7 loss. Not to mention we've seen Doc Rivers choke in the playoffs more than probably any coach in league history. 

Simmons has to improve as a shooter but his FT shooting was never an issue in the playoffs before this season. He's also elite pretty much everywhere else other than shooting. He just turned 25 and is a 6'11" PG that's one of the best defensive players and playmakers in the league. Whoever trades for him will also have him under contract for the next 4 seasons as he's entering his prime. 

Through his first 4 seasons he has been an All-Star 3 times, All-NBA 1 time, All-NBA defense 2 times, and was 2nd in DPOY voting last season. Philadelphia has also been a top 3 seed in the 3 years he was healthy, including the #1 seed last season. They advanced to the 2nd round in all 3 of those years and were a game away from the ECF in 2 of them, one of which they lost on a Kawhi buzzer beater in game 7 and then obviously this year. In the one year he didn't play in the playoffs they got swept in the first round. 

Edited by NYRaider

6 hours ago, R T said:

NBA talent evaluators are not prisoners of the moment like fans are. The trade season is still very early and Philadelphia has no reason to firesale him. 

I mean I would argue against calling it a 'moment' when it's been happening several years now.

4 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

I mean I would argue against calling it a 'moment' when it's been happening several years now.

What has been happening for several years? Been an All-Star for several years? Been All Defensive team for several years? Been NBA steals leader? Been NBA All-NBA 3rd team? Just what is this awful thing he has been for several years.   

18 minutes ago, R T said:

What has been happening for several years? Been an All-Star for several years? Been All Defensive team for several years? Been NBA steals leader? Been NBA All-NBA 3rd team? Just what is this awful thing he has been for several years.   

A playoff liability who can be schemed out of a series by the good teams.

He definitely has his pluses, but to take a phrase from Draymond, he's an 82 game player, not a 16 game player.

20 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

A playoff liability who can be schemed out of a series by the good teams.

He definitely has his pluses, but to take a phrase from Draymond, he's an 82 game player, not a 16 game player.

That is a silly statement to be applied to Simmons, nobody is scheming him out of a series.  

Someone clarify, did they change the rule that said that a player in a sign and trade could not be paired with other assets? I’ve seen all kinds of mega trades on so many sites that involve 3 players, picks and a guy getting signed and traded. That used to be against the rules, did that get changed in the newest CBA?

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Someone clarify, did they change the rule that said that a player in a sign and trade could not be paired with other assets? I’ve seen all kinds of mega trades on so many sites that involve 3 players, picks and a guy getting signed and traded. That used to be against the rules, did that get changed in the newest CBA?

I think people are referring to the timing of S&T combined with current draft picks.  The NBA Draft isn't until July 29th, and FA doesn't officially open until August 2nd, which means teams can't officially discuss contracts with FAs until then. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think people are referring to the timing of S&T combined with current draft picks.  The NBA Draft isn't until July 29th, and FA doesn't officially open until August 2nd, which means teams can't officially discuss contracts with FAs until then. 

Yeah one of my biggest gripes with the NBA has always been that the draft happens before free agency. 

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Have yall seen Ben Simmons contract?

He just turned 25 and he's on a 4 yr/$140M deal. Again, I understand that his playoff shooting struggles were an issue but his contract isn't terrible, especially for a small market or rebuilding team. I'm not a huge Simmons fan personally but he has already been an All-NBA player, 3x All-Star, All-NBA defensive player, and was 2nd in DPOY last season. While also being a very good playmaker/rebounder. Philadelphia has been a top 3 seed in the 3 seasons he was healthy including the #1 seed this season. And in two of those seasons they were a close game 7 loss away from making the ECF. In the one year he didn't play in the playoffs, IIRC the 76ers finished 6th and got swept in the 1st round despite a monster performance from Embiid in that series. 

Westbrook is in his 30's on the decline and is making $10M more than Simmons, Wall is washed/injured and is making $10M more than Simmons, and guys like Wiggins/Hayward are making just as much as Simmons when they're not nearly as impactful players. 

Philadelphia has won in the regular season with Simmons every year and were a couple of bounces away in 2/3 years from making it to the conference finals. Plus I think cap space tends to be a little overrated anyways, how often do All-Star caliber players sign max deals with new teams in free agency? In recent NBA history the only players that have done it are LeBron (2x), Durant (2x), Kyrie, Bosh, and Butler. And in the cases of Bosh, Butler, and Durant the 2nd time they all moved to new teams via S&T's because of cap reasons. 

I think if you're a team like Portland or Washington that has a disgruntled superstar and are ready to hit the reset button, trading for Simmons makes sense. Portland or Washington to trading Dame/Beal for a package built around Simmons, Maxey, Thybulle, and picks would put them in a good spot to accelerate their rebuild. They'd be acquiring a young all-star who they'd have under control for the next 4 years as he just starts to enter his prime, a young 1st round scoring guard in Maxey, and one of the best wing defenders in the league in Thybulle in addition to more draft capital. 

For both of those teams cap space isn't necessarily that important because it's unlikely that they'll ever attract a big named FA anyways. And if they did decide to go that route I'm assuming both teams would also look to move Westbrook/McCollum for more young pieces/assets, so they'd really have a young roster with Simmons as their only high priced piece. 

Edited by NYRaider

So the Pels are interested in Kyle Lowry and likely to offload at least one of Adams and Bledsoe. I like the fit of Lowry at his best, but he's already 35 so I hope we don't give up anything significant as I could easily see him dropping off next year