Cowboys and Dak agree to deal

Forge

Just now, jrry32 said:

He's likely going to make $500 million (not counting endorsements or anything else). Something tells me he's not going to regret anything.

He might, in 7 or 8 years when he's about the 10th highest paid QB in the league 

Let's not forget the size of the egos on these guys. 500m is great and all, but he left a TON of money on the table. I know that was somewhat by design, but again, he gave up too much on the back end and didn't get enough up front to make it worth it. Dak got a check for 66m today. That's like 3x what mahomes has made in his entire career so far. 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

He might, in 7 or 8 years when he's about the 10th highest paid QB in the league 

Let's not forget the size of the egos on these guys. 500m is great and all, but he left a TON of money on the table. I know that was somewhat by design, but again, he gave up too much on the back end and didn't get enough up front to make it worth it. Dak got a check for 66m today. That's like 3x what mahomes has made in his entire career so far. 

$500 million is $500 million. Who cares if he could have had $600 million instead? If it was that important to Mahomes, he would have done what Dak did. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He's likely going to make $500 million (not counting endorsements or anything else). Something tells me he's not going to regret anything.

Yup. He certainly could've gotten more with fewer years or a different structure or whatever. But will he look back and think that he needed to? Probably not. The man knows he's set for life (generations, really), and he doesn't have to worry about any of that stuff for years.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, N4L said:

This was a very long post to say: Patrick Mahomes will regret signing that dumb contract.  

I said it when it happened, that was so foolish of him. There was no reason to sign such a long deal. He gave up too much on the back end and didn't get enough up front. 

Dak will get 75m in cash in year one. Mahomes got 10. 

Mahomes left potentially 100m or more on the table. That's nuts. 

I actually think the opposite is even a stronger point - Dallas should have extended Dak further than 4 years (I know it's technically 6 years, but the void clause means it's 4/160M, with some bonus money deferred for the team).   I don't think 40M is good value for the player Dak is currently - but the longer the deal extends, the more likely the bar rises high enough, that suddenly 40M is at value, or even below value for Dak's level of play.     We're already seeing the perception on Watson's contract changing with the new bar QB contracts are now getting, and about to get.   

Stafford signed the "richest" AAV value deal at the time he was extended - and with 2 years left on that deal, those last 2 years (2/43M) are absolute bargains even for just top-12 QB play now (yes the signing bonus is removed, but even with the bonus, that statement holds true).      Watson's deal already looks like it's going to a value deal for top 10 play, let alone top 5 QB play.    The key is both guys signed for longer than 3-4 years.   At 3-4 years, the deal will expire just as that big number actually looks about right - only to have the QB be able to re-enter the market...and use higher standards for extensions.

Now, if the deal was fully guaranteed for year 5-6 - not a good idea.  But if the deals were structured the same way with Stafford/Watson in terms of years 5-6 - having those years as non-voidable is actually the other way to return value.   As it stands, the only value gain is Dallas' year 1 cap reduction - at a huge cap increase for years 2-4 - and then Dak hits the free market again.    If the deal is long enough, the chance to gain value down the road helps more.   I get ppl point to Wentz/Goff - but Stafford/Watson are great examples where going really long (without full guarantees in those years) can be a team-winner deal, too.    That's the opp I think Jerry & co. missed out on here with agreeing to make years 5-6 voidable.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Let's not forget the size of the egos on these guys. 500m is great and all, but he left a TON of money on the table.

Given what we've seen of him, I don't think this is really a factor to him. He's in a perfect situation, with a philosophy and culture that fits with what he does, and there's no real inclination that's going to change. We've seen how the wrong fit/culture can ruin a QBs outlook - take one look at Deshaun Watson and tell me if an extra $100mm would make it better.

We applaud Tom Brady for taking lesser deals so New England could surround him with the complimentary parts to make as many runs to the top as he did - if anything is egotistical in Mahomes, it's THAT number, not the amount in his bank account (and even then - he's going to be 34 with close to a billion dollars to his name, with a good possibility to ink another 3-4 year extension in there too). He's doing what Brady did, without the billionaire wife, so he's covering it on the back end by getting paid $500mm.

Mahomes did what was absolutely right for him - got his bag, kept his interests in a spot that is beyond perfect for him (which will lead to more passive income as a face of several brands) and gave said spot the latitude needed to keep talent around him for that full 10 years (which will keep said passive income coming in, because those brands love a winner) all while setting him up to be sitting on $750,000,000 by the time he chooses to retire in his late 30s/early 40s (if not more). 

I'm not sure what's there is to regret in this scenario. If it's just a comparative spot to his peers - tell me, how did that impact Brady? Did his ego really get bombed knowing guys like Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan made more money? It really didn't... which is why he's got seven rings.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I swear that Jerry gives players all the leverage. 

I guess he feels like he made Dak sweat by forcing him to take the franchise tag, only to give him top dollar.   Jerry.   He may be a shrewd business man,  but they need to put him on timeout when it comes to contract negotiations

• Like 1

I'll never understand why they didn't just non-exclusive franchise tag him last year.    Let him and his agent negotiate a contract with another team,   match it or take (2) 1sts.  At least you would have ammo to attempt to trade to 1,  or now trade for Russell.   I think they felt all tough telling Dak and his agent Dak's not going anywhere and your not getting a max deal.   

• Like 1