What's your draft big board? 2021 edition!

RaidersAreOne

I actually think Arnette will be just fine outside. The man played with one hand all season. He showed some good coverage reps against some good WRs on the outside. Too early to right him off. 

It would not stop me from taking a corner at 17 if one is there however. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

But again... you like Phillips at 17 who had 3 concussions in 10 games, retired from football and has played in a total of 20 career games.

You have an agenda. You don't like CB in round 1, so you're bending the narrative on Farley while overlooking the fact Phillips is one hit to the head from ending his career.

I wish I had access to his medical report. Would be interesting to look at his brain MRI. I'm in that part of my learning rn.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 5:37 AM, big_palooka said:

I actually think Arnette will be just fine outside. The man played with one hand all season. He showed some good coverage reps against some good WRs on the outside. Too early to right him off. 

Couldn't you even make a case that he's a better fit as an outside CB in a zone heavy scheme than he was in a press man scheme? He doesn't have great length or speed, which are two of the most important things to be able to thrive in press man coverage.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:30 AM, big_palooka said:

But again... you like Phillips at 17 who had 3 concussions in 10 games, retired from football and has played in a total of 20 career games.

You have an agenda. You don't like CB in round 1, so you're bending the narrative on Farley while overlooking the fact Phillips is one hit to the head from ending his career.

IIRC Damon Arnette missed time with 1-2 concussions at Ohio State and had 2 concussions last season in 2 games. Is he one hit away from retiring as well? Phillips had 3 concussions at UCLA that occurred in 2017/2018, if anything I'd say taking the time off and then being healthy last season was a good sign for him. 

I wouldn't mind a CB at #17 if it's an elite prospect but I personally think Phillips has more potential than any defensive player in the class. Is his injury history concerning? Definitely. But the physical tools and tape are top notch and if he didn't have the injury concerns he'd be a top 10 pick. The fact that he actually played football last season without being injured and was able to workout at his pro-day are good signs as well. 

Caleb Farley played 23 games at Virginia Tech and had a list of injuries as well. He tore his ACL in 2017, had a concussion in 2018, and had a back injury in 2019 that required an off-season surgery in 2020. He hasn't played football in 18 months and just had another back surgery which required him to miss his pro day. He isn't even 100% sure that he'll be ready to play when training camp starts. 

• Like 1

Close enough to the draft, so here we go...

Going to do my Big Board a little differently. 

I have 5 players that I feel can provide us the greatest payoff now and in the future. If we can land 2 out of the 5 in the first 2 rounds, I can see us greatly improving this year.

In no particular order:

1. Parsons

2. Jenkins

3. Nixon

4. Moehrig 

5. Oljulari 

On 4/16/2021 at 4:35 PM, NYRaider said:

Couldn't you even make a case that he's a better fit as an outside CB in a zone heavy scheme than he was in a press man scheme? He doesn't have great length or speed, which are two of the most important things to be able to thrive in press man coverage.

When I looked into the CBs last year Arnette actually IMO was very sticky in man coverage but struggled when playing off and having to anticipate and break on the ball, something that a few other guys were much better at so I think he'll struggle playing in a zone heavy scheme. Press man is his best attribute, again in my opinion. There was a great discussion last year about all the CBs in the draft thread 🙂 

Anyone hoping for a pass rusher in the first few rounds is not looking at the big picture, IMO.  

We added 4 guys to the DL, including our biggest ticket item.  

If someone slides to a spot of obvious value, OK.  But they are going to draft positions that they view as bigger needs.  

Here is my Big Board, don't expect it to change much from now until draft day. I might interchange Farley/Moehrig because of Farley's injury, but overall, this is what I'm pretty set on. Parentheses are what I have the player personally ranked which you can find here: 

Raiders Big Board Pick #17:

1. LB Micah Parsons (#6)
  2. OT Christian Darrisaw (#12)
  3. CB Caleb Farley (#9)
  4. S Trevon Moehrig (#14)
  5. CB Patrick Surtain II (#16)
  6. EDGE Jayson Oweh (#18)
  7. OT/C Rashawn Slater (#15)
  8. EDGE Kwity Paye (#20)
  9. LB Jerimiah Owusu-Koramoah (#24)
  10. EDGE/LB Azeez Ojulari (#21)

Would be absolutely quite happy with the first nine players of that Big Board. I'd be perfectly fine with Ojulari, but not exactly jumping for joy. 

Would not draft at 17: Mac Jones, Christian Barmore, Jaycee Horn, Jaelan Philips, Richie Grant.

- Mac Jones: Personally, I just think he sucks. Plus, we don’t need to invest a 1st into a QB, unless it’s a can’t miss type prospect.

- Barmore: Not worth a Mid 1st Round Pick. He’s my #1 guy for 48 if he’s there though.

- Horn: Just not a big fan. I do have a 1st Round Grade on him, but he’s a very risky prospect imo. Complete Boom or Bust Corner, and I would lean more towards busting.

- Philips: Riskiest player in the entire draft in my opinion, way riskier than Farley… I would run to the podium at 48 if he was there, but he’s not on my board at all for 17.

- Grant: Just not a worth a 1st Round Pick, not anywhere close to it. He’s a 2nd Round Prospect. Plus, he’s 24. The reason I’m even listing Grant is because I have some weird feeling the Raiders are eyeballing him in the 1st.

Raiders Big Board Pick #48:

(will depend what position we took in the 1st, and this would have to be readjusted on draft night)

1. DT Christian Barmore (#33)
  2. EDGE Jaelan Philips (#35)
  3. OT/G Teven Jenkins (#32)
  4. OT Samuel Cosmi (#37)
  5. CB Eric Stokes (#42)
  6. CB Tyson Campbell (#47)
  7. S Richie Grant (#46)
  8. LB Jamin Davis (#45)
  9. CB Greg Newsome II (#50)
  10. OT Walker Little (#36)
  11. S/CB Jevon Holland (#52)
  12. LB Zaven Collins (#54)
  13. WR Tylan Wallace (#55)
  14. IOL Creed Humphrey (#41)

I think Barmore is great value in the 2nd, and I still think DT is our biggest need despite the recent bodies we have there. Jaelan at 48 would be quite the steal, even with the medical issues. Jenkins at 48 is super good value, and so is Cosmi, although I'm quite confident neither of those guys will be there. Stokes/Campbell/Newsome II at 48 would all be solid Outside CB's for that spot, and we can move Arnette inside to Nickel. I also like Jamin Davis a lot for Bradley's scheme, his numbers were insane at his Pro Day. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, massraider said:

Anyone hoping for a pass rusher in the first few rounds is not looking at the big picture, IMO.  

If someone slides to a spot of obvious value, OK.  But they are going to draft positions that they view as bigger needs.  

You can never have too many pass rushers, especially on rookie contracts. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:39 PM, massraider said:

The big picture? With our FO's track record......... Can anyone tell us what that might be? Literally anything is possible with Gruden in charge! 

My Bigboard for 2021. Very difficult this year with the number of the pick, who'll be available and who might be there at 48. My No 1 option would be to trade down and try and acquire more 2nd and 3rd round picks but at 17 and assuming these guys are gone: Sewell, Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Slater and excluding the QBs;

1: Phillips DE - has the looks of a perennial Pro Bowl pass rusher to me, you can't pass on those IMO though there are health risks.

2: Farley CB - looks like a difference maker on the outside and wouldn't bother me that we took a CB last year as Arnette could be a very good slot corner.

3: Surtain CB - as above but slightly less if a playmaker but safer with health.

4: Paye DE - I really see his potential but he's far less polished than Phillips, more boom or bust.

5: Moehrig FS - Very complete player and he fits a need but I think the above guys are just a bit better value, would love him with a trade down though and he would be my target with a trade down.

6: Ojulari SLB  - I see him as a SLB who can also rush in a pass package, really like him but LBs are just not great value in the 1st for me unless they are outstandingly good. His pass rush ability adds the value.

7: Parsons LB - as Ojulari above but I question his abilities in coverage which we'll need with our scheme, very good player but I just don't think he's a great fit. Really torn on this one........

8: Eichenberg RT - I really like this kid but 17 seems rich and I'd look to grab a RT later probably, hopefully with a trade down, I think he's being vastly underrated though, really solid for our right side for the next 10 years.

9: Jenkins RT - seems to fit the Gruden grinder mentality and I think he'll be good but 17 seems a little early to me. Another target for a trade down.

10. Collins SLB - I really like the way he plays but off ball LBs in the first make me feel a little nauseous 😁 I think he'll be a good one though.

My main targets would be Nixon in the 2nd and if we didn't get Moehrig then Cisco in the 3rd. If we walked away with any of the top 4 plus Nixon, Cisco and a RT I'd be ecstatic.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

my first round big board 

1- Parsons- really hopes he drops, tempted to trade up to 9-13 to get him. We gave a huge boost to our DL unit with Yannick, we could do the same to LB unit. LB unit would be a strength

2- JOK- I keep going back and forth with this guy. He is a baller, crazy twitch, instincts, does everything and could be the best defender. His only knock is his size, but Fred Warner, Leonard, Thomas Davis, D Brooks all played similar size. I would kick Littleton inside like he played on the Rams, and that 1-2 punch with JOK would be insane speed and range. Kwit/Morrow/Muse could battle for SLB

3- Darrishaw- he's the only tackle I'll look at in the 1st. He has all pro potential and could also be a LT. No way Slater/Sewell are there at 17

4- Newsome- getting compared to Darius Slay. Size, Speed, Technique- he has it all. Could kick one of our young CBs to FS if we go CB in round 1

5- Farley- risky due to back, but I'll take that risk. He was talked as a top 5 pick before the back talk. Can be a star at the next level 

6- J Oweh- is a freak of nature as a edge rusher. I'm not against make our edge rush a strength by adding another great prospect to the mix. We want to make Qbs scared of our pass rush. Oweh a bit raw but is really young and was good in college

7- J Phillips- I really like him and could potential be an all pro DE. only knock down due to his medicals. Wouldn't be mad If we took the risk

8- Ojulari- another edge rusher who is a raw. Ojulari, Paye, Oweh are all close in my eyes, and have 10 plus suck potential.    

9- K Paye- another freak athlete who is a bit raw as a edge rusher. 

10Tucker- Could be an all pro guard. We currently have a 38 year old starter, a 4th round pick, and journeyman as our guards. lol. If Vera comes in and dominates, he is worth the 17th pick. 

11- Z Collins = Cant go wrong with his speed, size,  instincts , AA . Only knock is his competition in college. I think he is going be a stud and would make our unit a strength 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1