Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Remember that guy that exposed me at work? He’s in the ICU on a ventilator. Praying for him. Not the time to pass judgment, I really hope he recovers fully and beats this thing. 

Damn. Sorry to hear that.

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Up until about 5 years ago, I still played competitive adult baseball, and I played with other college aged kids. Yesterday I got word that one of my former teammates (who wasn't even 30) died of Covid and pneumonia. He was in a coma for 8 weeks. He left behind an 8 month old son and another on the way. Truly awful news.

Meanwhile, Columbus hospital ERs are currently diverting everyone away as they're beyond capacity. 

Just great news everywhere this morning.

That’s terrible.

My grandma and dad were just in the hospital for pneumonia. The nurse at the hospital my dad was at gave him a cough suppressant...........uhhhh that’s the complete opposite of what you want to do.

My grandma was on 60L of oxygen. My uncles were able to get in her room and gave her a saline nasal spray iirc. Blood clots started coming out of her nose. That was obviously blocking her ability to breathe. She went home two days later. This is a lady that’s 85 years old and has bone cancer as well. 

My dad was on 15L of oxygen. He did the same thing as my grandma and the same results happened. Blood clots started coming out of his nose too. Oxygen dropped to 2L and he just got home yesterday after 2 weeks in the hospital.

Crazy.

Free:

Moderna’s vaccine is the most effective against hospitalization, CDC study finds.

The CDC-led nationwide study involving more than 3,600 adults hospitalized for covid-19 between March and August found the effectiveness of Moderna’s vaccine against hospitalization was 93 percent, while that of Pfizer-BioNTech’s and Johnson & Johnson’s vaccines was 88 percent and 71 percent, respectively.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/17/covid-delta-variant-live-updates/#link-ESOSV36E5RCFVHXDGAZDQ5WWHI

18 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m with you on the indifference, but it does hit different when it’s someone you know.

Hopefully this encourages others in his workplace to get vaccinated if they haven’t.

It can be.  An acquaintance of mine died of COVID, which does hit a bit harder than “eh” (maybe an “ehhhhh”), but then her dying request was to keep freedom going in memory of her — so no COVID protocols at the funeral.  But, there’s some good news: she didn’t reproduce yet.

Edited by SwAg
Protocols
  • Like 3

On 9/17/2021 at 9:37 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep. How many stories like this are we gonna have to read before people stop being morons and get vaccinated?

I'm going to go for at least 4 digits-worth, and could be talked into five very easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

FDA Panel voted 16-2 today boosters only needed for 65+ and immunocompromised. (So I've heard, someone might want to confirm). Of course Pfizer and Moderna are still hardcore pushing it though, for obvious reasons lol. 

So I believe the FDA already approved boosters for the immunocompromised earlier this year. Yesterday, the independent advisory committee voted against the general population getting one for the Pfizer shot. But they did vote for 65+, those who are high risk medically, and individuals working in high risk situations like healthcare workers. The FDA now has to weigh whether to listen to the committee or not.

Let’s hope it continues trending downward. But it looks like pushing vaccines, wearing masks indoors, and listening to public officials is working. Who would have thought?

California hit the lowest coronavirus case rate in the nation Friday — thanks not only to high vaccination and masking, but also to a state culture that generally embraces public health precautions, experts said.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2