2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

Just now, swede700 said:

It is.  The Chiefs had to restructure a bunch of contracts to get the money to pay him, but I don't blame them, as their window is clearly now.  Eventually, they'll pay the piper, but that day is not today.

Yep, they can push cap down the road when your clearly contender mode. We are not in that category. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They still need 2 tackles, and a center

They probably believe that Niang is one of the starting OTs...and they could potentially draft an OT or a C in the 1st rd this year. 

Edited by swede700

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Bummed to miss out on Thuney and Zeitler, but not surprised. From so many of the insider reports, it sounds as if the Vikings are focusing their efforts in free agency on the defense. 

I would too. Let’s land Trey Hendrickson and Shaq griffin.

take care of offense in the draft..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Bummed to miss out on Thuney and Zeitler, but not surprised. From so many of the insider reports, it sounds as if the Vikings are focusing their efforts in free agency on the defense. 

As they should. Most of the resources have been going towards the offense as of late. The defense has fallen off considerably.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I mean it was a longshot.  With the way the draft looks at the moment, I want us to land a FA CB.  I don't want Zimmer having the urge to go CB in the 1st round.

15 minutes ago, Freakout said:

I mean it was a longshot.  With the way the draft looks at the moment, I want us to land a FA CB.  I don't want Zimmer having the urge to go CB in the 1st round.

Agreed. Plus I think an established vet would do wonders since the CB room is so young. I think they wanted Waynes to be that guy but he just wasn’t very good relative to his contract. 

35 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Man... $16M yr average is a lot for a guard.

Need to look at gaureented money and potential voidable years to know what the "real" likely average is. Agent always just leaks the high number and details come out later.

The practical gaureented money is $48M, still more structure details to be determined

Edited by CriminalMind

2 hours ago, Frank Costello said:

We clearly need help on both sides of the line, OL and DL. My concern is that we have never drafted well at either of those positions, and especially early. It wasn't until Kubiak arrived that we started to hit some picks at OL in the first few rounds back to back years. And we haven't had a monster DT since Richardson left. And before him it was Linval. So With the departure of Kubiak, and our bad track record at drafting DL. 

Huh? At first I thought you were just speaking about DT's but then I seen you specify DL. 

DE is one of the better positions they draft. Also keep in mind they've basically had 3 good DE's for over a decade with the 1 exception being last year however Hunter was injured & they did trade for Yannick. Griffen & Hunter have been mainstays with a good 3rd rotational end in Robison until 2018.  

2020 - Wonnum(4th)

2017 - Odenigbo(7th)

2015 - Hunter(3rd)

2010 - Griffen(4th)

2007 - Robison(4th)

With that said I would not hate adding another body in there but I do believe Wonnum is going to be a pretty good end in the league just not sure when he'll fully reach that potential so a stop gap could work in an older vet possibly bringing Griffen back or someone else.  Or there is always the draft though I personally don't want to take any of the DE's at 14 maybe if they can trade back a little bit I wouldn't mind it. 

As things stand right now well atleast 20 mins ago I think Parsons could be a realistic option with Barr restructuring his contract so he can hit FA next year

Jamal Agnew former Detroit Lion signing with the Jaguars for 3 years $21 mil.  That was a surprise to me, basically sign a guy for that kind of cash just to be a kick and punt return man?  Played some defense which I do not recall seeing much of.  Still that much for an uproven WR who is just a special teams guy is a shocker to me but maybe I am missing something.  

He is 3rd in the NFL in kick returns yards and 14th in punt return yards.  Really so what, he is one of the top guys in opportunities for obvious reasons.

Chiefs signing Thuney is kind of a surprise honestly.  They need OT help more than OG help.  Clear sign they will not resign Andrew Wylie which is kind of an insult to him for how well he played and for how long and played cheap.  Not to mention Nick Allegretti where that leaves him, he was solid this past year and if Duvernay-Tardif comes back to the NFL where is he playing?  Mike Remmers is a free agent I believe as well so what they do with him.  Still got a center issue if they cannot sign Reiter but will be interesting what they do since unlike the Vikings they can really work the offensive line and arguably are as good as any team in the league in terms of finding and developing talent there.