the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

5 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Rodgers is never going to be extended year? He still has 3 years of his deal and will be 40 by the time the deal ends. Our worst case scenario is that Love is a huge bust and we just let Rodgers finish his deal no matter how good/bad he plays. Our best case scenario is that Love is a quality starter, Rodgers plays at a Top 3 QB level again and we can get 3 1sts for him.

I have been in that boat.  I only extend Rodgers if I think Love doesn't have it.  We still have him for 3 years, it isn't like this is the last season on his contract.  If Love is good, what sense does it make to make it more difficult to move on from Rodgers? 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's no such thing as a guaranteed win with Favre as your QB. There's always that 10% chance he's going to throw you out of a game.

I'm a HUGE Favre fan.  Always will be.

So I need to thank you for the "10%" comment.

Because I think you were being nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have been in that boat.  I only extend Rodgers if I think Love doesn't have it.  We still have him for 3 years, it isn't like this is the last season on his contract.  If Love is good, what sense does it make to make it more difficult to move on from Rodgers? 

How crazy is it to even discuss extending a player who is under contract until age 40.  The Packers might want to restructure Rodgers contract to free up money now, if he is willing and for all we know he turned that down. Don't you find it interesting that so many "experts" are encouraging Atlanta to draft Matt Ryan's eventual replacement at No. 4 when Matt Ryan is at least 3 years younger than Rodgers. My prediction is if Rodgers can play even close to his performance from last year that he certainly will be the Packers starter in 2022, even at a 40 mil cap number. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

How crazy is it to even discuss extending a player who is under contract until age 40.  The Packers might want to restructure Rodgers contract to free up money now, if he is willing and for all we know he turned that down. Don't you find it interesting that so many "experts" are encouraging Atlanta to draft Matt Ryan's eventual replacement at No. 4 when Matt Ryan is at least 3 years younger than Rodgers. My prediction is if Rodgers can play even close to his performance from last year that he certainly will be the Packers starter in 2022, even at a 40 mil cap number. 

I guess its seen as the only feasible way of getting Rodgers cap hit down in 2021 and 2022. Not a massive expert on what we can do -  is it possible to shovel it all in 2023 without extending. That would be the ideal, two year window then a purge.

Its what you do with Adams and Z

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

I guess its seen as the only feasible way of getting Rodgers cap hit down in 2021 and 2022. Not a massive expert on what we can do -  is it possible to shovel it all in 2023 without extending. That would be the ideal, two year window then a purge.

Its what you do with Adams and Z

I don't necessarily agree with a purge for Love's first year. Need to keep a talented roster around him so he's not ruined. 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't necessarily agree with a purge for Love's first year. Need to keep a talented roster around him so he's not ruined. 

I agree.

I think we should go all-out to win the championship this year and next. Then when Love takes over surround him with weapons and a strong O-Line and defence. Then upgrade the year after for a Championship push.

NFL should be like poker, if you go all-in and win then you get all the chips and can use them again. Sadly it isn't if you go all-in and push all your chips into the middle you can't use them again next time.

• Like 2

The chances are just as good - if not better - that Love isn't playable. Not many ways not to pay a Top 5 QB Top 5 QB money. Unless you want to roll with Love regardless and go 4-12 for how long. Just too many assumptions that Love is gonna be the guy. Everyone is so worried about an exit strategy. I'd be more concerned about an abort strategy

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The chances are just as good - if not better - that Love isn't playable. Not many ways not to pay a Top 5 QB Top 5 QB money. Unless you want to roll with Love regardless and go 4-12 for how long. Just too many assumptions that Love is gonna be the guy. Everyone is so worried about an exit strategy. I'd be more concerned about an abort strategy

"Too many assumptions", so here's another assumption...

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cannondale said:

How about this for an abort strategy:

We have Aaron Rodgers under contract through the 2023 season.  If the team didn't think that Rodgers was ready in 2008, do you not think that they would have welcomed Brett Favre back? If Jordan Love shows enough to look like a player, they will move on from Rodgers.  If Love is unplayable, they won't, and they will have to try again.  Good thing that they have three seasons to figure that out. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting moving on from Rodgers without knowing anything about Love.  I also know that the Packers wouldn't do that, and have infinitely more information about Jordan Love than any of us do.

• Like 2