the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Turns out the Packers could have signeda player of Reed's caliber for the value of simply restructuring 12's roster bonus. Smh. 

Wonder if we will ever hear why they haven't tried to restructure AR12 this off-season to create a little space?

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Kind of head scratching for sure. Keep hearing how GB needs this or that and not much happens.  Other good teams, ie KC keep signing very nice players to help their team. Where are they and others getting the dollars to sign these guys?!

In the case of KC, they cut both starting tackles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Kind of head scratching for sure. Keep hearing how GB needs this or that and not much happens.  Other good teams, ie KC keep signing very nice players to help their team. Where are they and others getting the dollars to sign these guys?!

Where was the Bakhtiari-caliber home-grown FA KC had to re-sign? Or the Kenny Clark? Or the Aaron Jones? 
Kelce only cancels out one of those. 

Mahomes doesn’t cancel out any since his contract is comparable to Rodgers’. 

KC also cut both their OT’s.

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Cut some pricy players.

Restructured a couple big cap hit players.

Mahomes contract is 1 that KC will keep manipulating since he is so young.  They have 8-10 years to use that contract as a safety net to get some current season cap space.  With Rodgers being much older and Love in hand. GB likely won't do the same.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

King or Reed for 2021

pick one

Knee jerk reaction says Reed.  Hands down the better player.

After thinking about it?  King.

We are even thinner at CB than we are DL.  And that's saying something.

We aren't rushing two DT's together, too often.

We do need multiple corners.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

King or Reed for 2021

pick one

There is no universe in which we'd have to choose between them. Both are/were affordable. We missed on Reed, now I hope, at the very least, we take a shot at resigning Snacks. We literally have 3 DL on the entire roster right now who likely have a shot of making the team. Unless GB is planning to draft 3 DL in a draft that is bad for DL, they're going to have to do something. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

There is no universe in which we'd have to choose between them. Both are/were affordable. We missed on Reed, now I hope, at the very least, we take a shot at resigning Snacks. We literally have 3 DL on the entire roster right now who likely have a shot of making the team. Unless GB is planning to draft 3 DL in a draft that is bad for DL, they're going to have to do something. 

Snacks doesn't want to be here. And at this point, you can trust him regardless

My gut feeling is Reed over King.

I think there are other CBs who could step in and play a role for this team either leftovers in FA or the draft at a higher replacement value than anything left at DL could do.

I think this is a big miss for Gute. I think our defense is better with Reed + King replacement than it is with King + TBD DL

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

My gut feeling is Reed over King.

I think there are other CBs who could step in and play a role for this team either leftovers in FA or the draft at a higher replacement value than anything left at DL could do.

I think this is a big miss for Gute. I think our defense is better with Reed + King replacement than it is with King + TBD DL

You're replacing 95% of snaps to upgrade 55%. Based on our current cap situation (a new wormhole is opened up if we extend Adams/Aaron) you have probably 2.5 to spend, you think you're finding a better CB with that? Doubt it, probably looking at a rookie.

Whereas I'm pretty confident I can get a vet for that to rotate with Lowry/Keke/DP and my DL will be fine. Gary/Z are going to play a lot at 3T.