Raiders trade C Rodney Hudson + 7th to Arizona for 3rd round pick

RaidersAreOne

I'm glad I waited until there was an official move before weighing in. 

With that said, I'm on board with the move. It sucks to see Rodney go, but I will say, our run game blocking just wasn't good last year. Jacobs was near the top of the league in forced missed tackles yet still only managed 4 a carry. That tells you that the interior wasn't holding up their end of making lanes. Rodney has always been a better pass blocker and he does a good job at the second level and pulling but he isn't the most stout center in terms of power run blocking. 

To get a third round pick, and more flexibility in the future financially makes a lot of sense when you consider how much we have invested in the offensive line and it hasn't exactly lead to wins directly. If we can get younger, cheaper, and more long term potential in that youth that could make a lot of sense. And center is valuable, but it isn't the most important, impactful, or hardest spot to fill on the OL. I have no idea if James is the guy, but we could easily find someone in the third or fourth round that could be the long term replacement for Hudson at a fraction of the price. Or if that third round pick helps us move up for a RT in the second who can bookend with Miller for the next 5+ years that is more beneficial. 

Overall I actually like the shake up of the OL to a degree. With all the injuries we had and the guys that ended up on the field we are still bringing back Miller, Incognito, Good, Parker. Plus I believe Simpson can be a starter next season. It will be a new unit, but it is entirely possible it's a new unit that is younger, more athletic, and powerful to create running lanes (I have been adamant in saying seeing the vision to be a run first focused offense and the OL not allowing us to be as effective as that). 

I wish Rodney the best, only time will tell if it was the right move because the front office will have to use the asset in draft picks and long term cap space to replace him/make the overall team better by dedicating those resources to an area that can make a bigger impact on winning. 

Overall, I don't hate the move. It's a gamble for sure. And cutting him outright would have been a mistake period. Getting a third round pick for a 32 year old, 10+ million dollar center? That is the type of move good teams make regularly. Better to move on a year early than a year late. Especially because thats the only way you get real compensation back. But good teams also hit on that compensation and the money they spend. Only time will tell if our front office does that part. 

• Like 4