Raiders trade C Rodney Hudson + 7th to Arizona for 3rd round pick

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

There's an article on TheAthletic that has Tom Cable praising Andre James as well.  I really think we are going the same route we went with Waller.  I don't think James will be better, but he will be good enough and at a price that allows us to make big moves at positions that need to be addressed in the future.

The way I figure, theyve .Seen this guy at practice for years and if they think that he can play center I'm good with it. Worst case scenario is Martin s comes in and plays and he's average so the worst case scenario is average. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

we got a lot cheaper on the OL and have some guys capable of stepping in. This is how good teams are built. But we havent experienced it so some guys dont know how to act. What other contender in paying their OC $13m per?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

we got a lot cheaper on the OL and have some guys capable of stepping in. This is how good teams are built. But we havent experienced it so some guys dont know how to act. What other contender in paying their OC $13m per?

Right. That's how it works. Some of these young guys like Simpson are going to have to play otherwise why did you draft them?

48 minutes ago, Jerry said:

There's an article on TheAthletic that has Tom Cable praising Andre James as well.  I really think we are going the same route we went with Waller.  I don't think James will be better, but he will be good enough and at a price that allows us to make big moves at positions that need to be addressed in the future.

Can we stop with this? Now every player or situations is the next Waller in here.....

Let's get something straight.... Waller was gifted athlete, big time WR at Georgia Tech with unmatched speed for a guy his size. He was a 50/50 ball machine with great hands and elite body control. He happened to have massive addiction problems that held him hostage.

Waller was not a diamond in the rough the Raiders found. He had all the athletic talent in the world. He was however frequently suspend in college and carried his addiction to the NFL which is well documented. Soon as he found sobriety, he unleashed his true potential. The Raiders get an attaboy for playing the Ravens one week and seeing him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Can we stop with this? Now every player or situations is the next Waller in here.....

Let's get something straight.... Waller was gifted athlete, big time WR at Georgia Tech with unmatched speed for a guy his size. He was a 50/50 ball machine with great hands and elite body control. He happened to have massive addiction problems that held him hostage.

Waller was not a diamond in the rough the Raiders found. He had all the athletic talent in the world. He was however frequently suspend in college and carried his addiction to the NFL which is well documented. Soon as he found sobriety, he unleashed his true potential. The Raiders get an attaboy for playing the Ravens one week and seeing him.

I will never stop with this.  I will continue to evaluate every player as the next D. Waller.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Whilst I agree that obviously Waller was a unique situation, I think you're being a little disengenous with how much our FO and coaching helped him. Nobody here saw it coming, it's likely that very few others in the NFL saw it coming else why was he languishing on the PS or not picked up by a throng if teams just waiting for him to break out of his own accord.

Gruden and in particular Greg Olsen and our TE coach (Frank Smith was it?) deserve massive credit for he turnaround of Darren Waller, as does Darren Waller himself if course. So many of these stories don't end up like this one but in a downward spiral of crime and tragedy instead. Kudos to our coaches. Excellent.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

its ok to give the Raiders some credit once in a while lol 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

The way I figure, theyve .Seen this guy at practice for eight years and if they think that he can play center I'm good with it. Worst case scenario is Martin s comes in and plays and he's average so the worst case scenario is average. 

8 years?? Didn’t realise James has been with us since he was 15yo, lol. 

James played RT at UCLA.  Crazy idea but do you think Cable might be thinking about him at RT, Martin at center, and Good at RG.  Not saying it is going to happen or even a slightly decent idea but a possibility.  Or James could play RG and Good at RT.  

41 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

James played RT at UCLA.  Crazy idea but do you think Cable might be thinking about him at RT, Martin at center, and Good at RG.  Not saying it is going to happen or even a slightly decent idea but a possibility.  Or James could play RG and Good at RT.  

To be honest, not really. We started Sam Young at RT for something like 8 games last season. If we feel James could play RT for us i would have expected him to get a shot at that last season in place of Sam Young.

What i can see happening is that we think of Good as a alternative/backup solution at RT if we don't land anyone else.

So Martin and James at OC & RG (not sure who OC and who RG) and Good at RT. 

I must say with us extending James to big $ & signing Martin i kind of expect both to be on the team as starters. You don't extend James with that kind of money if you don't see him as a starter. But the same applies for Martin, even though he wasnt considered a good starter at houston i would think he could get enough interest in FA for a starter position. So i don't see him signing with us if our FO sees him as a backup first.

^^^The Athletic article makes it clear that he Cable plans on James being our starting center. He also discusses Good’s versatility and Simpson’s development. 

I think it will be:

Miller - Incognito- James

and the RG and RT will be whoever wins out in camp following the additions from the draft.

This is why for me Good’s signing was one of the most important as it gives us a degree of flexibility should someone (like Simpson) make a push for RG or whomever we select in the draft need more time or are better suited to G (which could happen with a number of the prospects). 

John Simpson was a LG for Clemson and played LG for us last year. I don't know why media and fans like to call him a RG. I think he will have enough trouble with our zone scheme and a side switch could really hurt him.

Reportedly we wanna be more zone heavy after the Trent, Gabe departures. Simpson was a good PBS LG prospect with mobility, footwork being his biggest weakness.

I think they will let him at LG behind Incognito and try to improve his footwork in the zbs heavy scheme. If/when Richie goes down, he could step in, ideally learn a full year and take over at 2022.

At RG we have Good and maybe Nick Martin can play there some. He played RG back in college after a snapping hand injury. But that is a longshot IMO. Ideally Good stay at RG and the rookie RT steps up.

I would like us to add a veteran RT before or after the draft with stop gap potential, because I would not want to move Good to RT and put a liability in at RG, because the rookie RT is not ready.

• Like 1