49ers Acquire the 3rd Overall Pick and Breaks the Internet.

baltimoreRebel

28 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

So Chris Simms, Chris Mortenson, & Matt Maiocco are all talking about Jones...

I personally prefer Lance, so much potential there that Shanny could unlock. 

Fields > Lance > Pitts / Sewell > Jones :D:D:D:D

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm going to be pretty bummed if it isn't Wilson. I've said from jump that Wilson & Lawrence were they only two guys for me that made sense to jump up and go get. The rest of the lot are a big roll of the dice and all have a huge ? attached to them. I will have no choice but to be optimistic about whoever the QB is. But this move would feel a little empty if we didn't get one of the guys I felt we had no real shot at beforehand. 

I had mentioned a while back that I had fields pretty close to Wilson, especially in this system. I love Wilson and if both were available, I'd take him over Fields, but I think he's gone at 2. In fact, I don't even think that's a question now, to be honest. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

I would be my life Wilson is going 2. 

I mean I would have too....BEFORE this trade. You don't move up to 9 slots to #3 to get the 3rd best QB in the draft. That's just not smart imo. 

I've always believed that there was a strong possibility either Lance or Jones would be there@12 if we wanted them. Wasn't sure about Fields because ppl have been all over the place with their evals of him. But those two in particular I felt one should be there@12. Now another QB needy team may have pounced on them before us....and I  would have been okay with that.

But we didn't need to go all the way to #3. We could have traded with Cincy, Philly or Detriot and still would been in great shape to get any of the trio of Fields, Lance & Jones.

So if I see us taking either of them #3 overall, I will die a little inside...

38 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

So Chris Simms, Chris Mortenson, & Matt Maiocco are all talking about Jones...

I personally prefer Lance, so much potential there that Shanny could unlock. 

Eric Branch is also in on that bandwagon it looks like 

Liek..I cannot emphasize how much I'm going resent Shanny if he messes up the franchise QB situation. Like..with Darnold you just kind of saw it coming...Rosen was meh but they didn't mortgage the future for it..if its Mac Jones...that's such a gut punch imo. 

Fields is the guy I want and I'm ok with him sitting. Lance I can live with but I don't think he drops to us...Jones is just..really..really ugly. 

• Like 1

Just now, 757-NINER said:

I mean I would have too....BEFORE this trade. You don't move up to 9 slots to #3 to get the 3rd best QB in the draft. That's just not smart imo. 

I've always believed that there was a strong possibility either Lance or Jones would be there@12 if we wanted them. Wasn't sure about Fields because ppl have been all over the place with their evals of him. But those two in particular I felt one should be there@12. Now another QB needy team may have pounced on them before us....and I  would have been okay with that.

But we didn't need to go all the way to #3. We could have traded with Cincy, Philly or Detriot and still would been in great shape to get any of the trio of Fields, Lance & Jones.

So if I see us taking either of them #3 overall, I will die a little inside...

Dude, idk where you're getting this idea that you don't move up for the number 3 QB. This is a stacked class. Trevor Lawrence is a top 5 QB prospect in the last 30 years, if not the number 1 QB prospect in the last 30. Zach Wilson would be pushing #1 overall in most draft classes to begin with...Fields and Lance are probably top 5 picks in any class as well. You're also making assumptions on draft order...all of that was going to change come draft night. Carolina, Denver, Washington, the Patriots, Falcons and even Philly are all looking at QB and NONE of them were going to stand PAT. That's why the 49ers moved nnow. 

Fields going to SF=great

Lance=meh

Jones=Internal Screaming

• Like 1

Just now, 49ersfan said:

I do think its a little bit of groupthink going on. 

Not sure if we'll know 100% until we're on the clock

100% 

This is all guesswork by them. Nobody has any sources on this, including MM.  Hell, nobody saw this coming. I don't know if there's a more tight lipped organization in football right now than the niners. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

100% 

This is all guesswork by them. Nobody has any sources on this, including MM.  Hell, nobody saw this coming. I don't know if there's a more tight lipped organization in football right now than the niners. 

Yup. Very few people (if any?) have called some of the huge moves we've made over the years. 

Just now, John232 said:

Dude, idk where you're getting this idea that you don't move up for the number 3 QB. This is a stacked class. Trevor Lawrence is a top 5 QB prospect in the last 30 years, if not the number 1 QB prospect in the last 30. Zach Wilson would be pushing #1 overall in most draft classes to begin with...Fields and Lance are probably top 5 picks in any class as well. You're also making assumptions on draft order...all of that was going to change come draft night. Carolina, Denver, Washington, the Patriots, Falcons and even Philly are all looking at QB and NONE of them were going to stand PAT. That's why the 49ers moved nnow. 

Fields going to SF=great

Lance=meh

Jones=Internal Screaming

Wilson doesn't go #1 overall in 2020, 2019 or 2018. That's being a creature of the moment. Lawerence is the only guy you could day has a legitimate shot@being #1 overall in just about any draft in the last 6-7 years.

You can say that now because we all know how those drafts turned out but there were ppl just as high on guys like Baker Mayfield as they are on right Wilson now. People on this site were gushing over Goff & Wentz just 5 years ago...let's not play that game. 

Lance going to be a 49er imo. Good fit. Has the potential to develop anticipation in his throws, extremely mobile and versatile, can be used in way more packages than Fields, and just overall a lot more fluid than Fields. I’ve always compared Fields to a Matt Stafford type, stiff, but still a solid QB in the right system. I really like all 4 of the Top QB’s in this draft (which is rare, I usually hate one or two). Can’t go wrong with any of the four. But at the end of the day, I think Lance is the better prospect than Fields, better fit for Shanahan’s system than Fields, and will be the pick at 3. I’m pretty confident he will be the pick at 3. And it will be the right selection. 

I think the Jones rumors are a classic smokescreen. The 49ers would be the laughing stock of the league. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Lance going to be a 49er imo. Good fit. Has the potential to develop anticipation in his throws, extremely mobile and versatile, can be used in way more packages than Fields, and just overall a lot more fluid than Fields. I’ve always compared Fields to a Matt Stafford type, stiff, but still a solid QB in the right system. I really like all 4 of the Top QB’s in this draft (which is rare, I usually hate one or two). Can’t go wrong with any of the four. But at the end of the day, I think Lance is the better prospect than Fields, better fit for Shanahan’s system than Fields, and will be the pick at 3. I’m pretty confident he will be the pick at 3. And it will be the right selection. 

I think the Jones rumors are a classic smokescreen. The 49ers would be the laughing stock of the league. 

I hope your right! 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1