2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

17 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I have a pet theory that any time you get into a rural area the chance of significant Cowboy fandom goes way up. It's bizarre.  I know Cowboy fans in: Maine, Vermont, Nevada, California, Wisconsin (WTF??), Florida, and even a bunch in Illinois. Also I once had a guy working at a ski rental place in Taos NM absolutely try and fight me over a Bears hat... His boss was super apologetic but also explained that the guy was a big Cowboys fan like that explained everything. 

Yes the demarcation line in IL is I-80.

Most everyone NE of 1-80 up to Chicago is a Bears fan.

NW is mostly Bears closer you get to WI more Packers fans you see.  

There are Steelers, Cowboys and Raiders fans everywhere due to their massive historical success primarily in 70s.   Like you said in rural areas you see this a lot.  Everyone likes to root for a winner.  

Probably a generation of Patriots fans out there now that will pass that on to their kids.  

Farther south in IL you get you get a lot Rams fans (or they used to be) and on other side Colts fans.

Cubs have a large national fan base due to WGN.  That is going away now just like newspapers due to technology.   Just fandom always has an inertia. 

In the city itself seems to be a N/S thing and people keep their team into burbs so that is a mix.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Oooooooh ... you are so cool.  Jelly.   On the Lake?  You have a boat out there too?  

If so I am going to boldly and shamelessly ask you to take me out on Lake Michigan to talk Bears sometime this summer.

I should mention they're racing sailboats, not like cigarette boats or anything.  It's a weird niche.  I'll message you. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Yes the demarcation line in IL is I-80.

Most everyone NE of 1-80 up to Chicago is a Bears fan.

NW is mostly Bears closer you get to WI more Packers fans you see.  

There are Steelers, Cowboys and Raiders fans everywhere due to their massive historical success primarily in 70s.   Like you said in rural areas you see this a lot.  Everyone likes to root for a winner.  

Probably a generation of Patriots fans out there now that will pass that on to their kids.  

Farther south in IL you get you get a lot Rams fans (or they used to be) and on other side Colts fans.

Cubs have a large national fan base due to WGN.  That is going away now just like newspapers due to technology.   Just fandom always has an inertia. 

In the city itself seems to be a N/S thing and people keep their team into burbs so that is a mix.

I for sure know a lot of people who are Patriot fans despite no obvious connection. 

What I always find neat is people from other countries that somehow are into-or at least know enough to reference-the 85 Bears.  I speak to a lot of people from NZ, UK AUS etc and it's hilarious from out of nowhere they'll throw in something about "Da Bears", the Superbowl Shuffle or ask if I'm 300lbs with a mustache.  Though in the last couple years people have asked more about the Cubs after the WS win, which is annoying.  Once gave the Sunday football experience to a vendor from Australia.  He thought the game was bizarre as hell and slow, but tailgating was phenomenal, also he was horrified by the Portillo's experience, like seriously disgusted by the beef and cheddar croisant.  "Holy **** mate, then they dip it in grease for real again?" They grill unseasoned lamb to a burnt crisp so what do they know.  I have a lot of family from Indiana, and they're all 100% Bears fans which I always thought was funny. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I for sure know a lot of people who are Patriot fans despite no obvious connection. 

What I always find neat is people from other countries that somehow are into-or at least know enough to reference-the 85 Bears.  I speak to a lot of people from NZ, UK AUS etc and it's hilarious from out of nowhere they'll throw in something about "Da Bears", the Superbowl Shuffle or ask if I'm 300lbs with a mustache.  Though in the last couple years people have asked more about the Cubs after the WS win, which is annoying.  Once gave the Sunday football experience to a vendor from Australia.  He thought the game was bizarre as hell and slow, but tailgating was phenomenal, also he was horrified by the Portillo's experience, like seriously disgusted by the beef and cheddar croisant.  "Holy **** mate, then they dip it in grease for real again?" They grill unseasoned lamb to a burnt crisp so what do they know.  I have a lot of family from Indiana, and they're all 100% Bears fans which I always thought was funny. 

Who wouldn't like the Beef n Cheddar croissant?   That is insane.   Like not liking ice cream.  

19 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Cue the banjo music.

18 hours ago, Nads786 said:

The best fried snickers bar you've ever had.

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Served at your wedding to your cousin.

Hey hey hey! Nah, I lived in IL but moved across the border due to low taxes here. If you go about 40-50 miles south, that's banjo BS, but on clear days I can see the Chicago skyline from my house & 90% of people are Bears fans

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not allowing myself to get too excited about adding a legit QB in the draft.

It is going to make 16 games of Andy Dalton more painful.

I recently watched Dalton against MN.   He isn’t great, but he isn’t that bad.   

He isn’t a bum if you can protect him.  

• Like 1