2021 ROOKIE QB's---- Who hits, who's OK, who busts?

squire12

Brady, Manning, and Brees had that fire. Elway and Favre had it. Lawrence is just a dude who will win 2 or 3 playoff games if he does not have it. Maybe he will win 5 playoff games and if they roster build the best team around him then he can meh to a Lombardi. 

I feel sorry for Jags fans after reading this about Lawrence.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I am bullish on the Patriots is because Cam cares about football again. Football was 1A behind fashion for him for a while but he’s talked about chilling on that and putting more focus on football. Maybe Lawrence will write poetry or something? Poets are great unless you need them to come back from 13 down in the last 5 minutes.

its like George R R Martin. He’s great at writing but it’s not his obsession anymore so he has a rich multifaceted life and no more GoT books. Lawrence could be like the  post-paycheck George RR Martin of football. 

On 4/14/2021 at 8:45 PM, SkippyX said:

In the last 44 years the SEC has a total of ZERO QBs that have won a Super Bowl without half of Archie Manning's DNA.

There is absolutely positively beyond any doubt no advanced QB learning going on there.

That's a weird way to say that SEC QBs have won 4 of the last 14 Super Bowls.  And 4 losing Super Bowl teams were QBed by SEC guys.

So 8 out of 28.  Clearly a trash conference.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, Uncle Buck said:

, he came in and DID do good things when given a chance.  Nobody can deny that.  

I would like to go ahead and deny that. I'm not going to give Peyton Manning much credit for Denver's 2015 success, and I'm not going to give Tebow any credit for Denver's success in the year where they lucked into the playoffs. Both were among the worst QBs in the NFL at the time and rode a defense playing out of their mind into the playoffs.

• Like 1

Lawrence - Hit

Wilson - Ok

Fields - Hit

Lance - Bust

Jones - Bust

Mills - Ok

Mond - Bust

Trask - Bust

Newman - Ok (as in will hang around 10 years as an Ok backup, maybe has a glory run or two of filling in for an injured starter)

Franks - Bust 

Buchelle - Bust

Book - Bust

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JiffyJag said:

I would like to go ahead and deny that. I'm not going to give Peyton Manning much credit for Denver's 2015 success, and I'm not going to give Tebow any credit for Denver's success in the year where they lucked into the playoffs. Both were among the worst QBs in the NFL at the time and rode a defense playing out of their mind into the playoffs.

The defense sure wasn't playing out of it's mind during the 5 weeks before Tebow took over.  They were a 1-4 team when he came in and he found ways to win with a number of 4th quarter comebacks to get them into the playoffs.  His passing was ugly, but it's not like he didn't bring anything to the table.  I wouldn't call it luck.  He found a way to turn that team around - in his first year as a starter. 

On 4/10/2021 at 3:33 AM, HolmesPriest said:

Mac Jones Hits, Trevor Lawrence Hits, everyone else on a different team in 6 years.

100% agree. Mac Jones looks like a guy who will win game after game and after every game everyone asks how does he do it?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

That's a weird way to say that SEC QBs have won 4 of the last 14 Super Bowls.  And 4 losing Super Bowl teams were QBed by SEC guys.

So 8 out of 28.  Clearly a trash conference.

It's also a flawed metric. That would be like me saying that in the last 20 years, a B1G Quarterback has won 10 Super Bowls, when 2 of those guys, accounting for 9 of them, were drafted 20 years ago (the other being Russell Wilson).

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It's also a flawed metric. That would be like me saying that in the last 20 years, a B1G Quarterback has won 10 Super Bowls, when 2 of those guys, accounting for 9 of them, were drafted 20 years ago (the other being Russell Wilson).

For sure, that was my point. Cherrypicking the years and criteria to that degree to say that SEC QBs are bad isn’t valid. Especially since what was happening in college football 40 years ago is completely irrelevant to the conference now. Also especially when you just decide that two QBs to win multiple Super Bowls just don’t count.

Not actually trying to argue that SEC QBs are inherently better. I don’t think the conference really matters much, outside of strength of schedule, which itself is a super minor consideration when evaluating a QB.

And super bowl winnings is also just a terrible way to narrow it down since as you point out, half of the recent ones are Tom Brady.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For sure, that was my point. Cherrypicking the years and criteria to that degree to say that SEC QBs are bad isn’t valid. Especially since what was happening in college football 40 years ago is completely irrelevant to the conference now. Also especially when you just decide that two QBs to win multiple Super Bowls just don’t count.

Not actually trying to argue that SEC QBs are inherently better. I don’t think the conference really matters much, outside of strength of schedule, which itself is a super minor consideration when evaluating a QB.

And super bowl winnings is also just a terrible way to narrow it down since as you point out, half of the recent ones are Tom Brady.

(I was agreeing with you) :) 

I was listening to Bill Simmons the other day and he said it best.. "who the F knows".. because when you think about it no one really does LOL. 

TBH I hated the Josh Allen pick when the  Bills first selected him; mostly because of the twitter narrative. I wanted Josh Rosen lmao and was mad we drafted Josh Allen yikes.

Any of the QB's getting drafted have a chance to be great, it all comes down to coaching/attitude/IT factor. 

Teams need to make sure their guy has that IT factor that can command a room and is the "alpha" on the team. 

Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Allen, Watson, Baker, Lamar all come to mind and seem mentally strong.  

• Like 1