Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

1 minute ago, reddevil said:

Really??? You need an answer to this? Just ask yourself. Why is Earl Thomas not on a team right now and you’ll find your answer 

Character concerns but we've taken chances on guys like Incognito, Yannick, Trent, and Antonio. Thomas with the Ravens in 2019 was far better than Joseph has ever been throughout his career. 

Bringing KJ back reflects how Gruden/Mayock have treated the S position during the entire tenure here. Instead of looking to add a quality starter we've regularly scrapped the bottom of the barrel in free agency because we don't value the position. Which is evident by the fact that we've had Marcus Gilchrist, Reggie Nelson, Erik Harris, and Jeff Heath starting at safety.

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

In no way, shape or form is Harris better than Joseph. You are going to laughable extremes to downplay Joseph now. No one claimed he'd be a Pro Bowler or an All Pro but no one in their right mind can think Harris is better surely?

This so much. Seems like its all about bashing every move

Anyway my take: Adding Joseph improves our roster while at the same time we still have hole at safety.

10 minutes ago, Roninho said:

This so much. Seems like its all about bashing every move

Anyway my take: Adding Joseph improves our roster while at the same time we still have hole at safety.

It's not about bashing every move, KJ is an average box safety, which is fine. But we already have two players on the roster with a similar skill set in Heath and Abram. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's not about bashing every move, KJ is an average box safety, which is fine. But we already have two players on the roster with a similar skill set in Heath and Abram. 

As long as we did not give Joseph a Kenyon Drake type deal we are good.  Right now I could not tell you who is the best safety on the team.  I am happy I will finally get to  see Joseph and Abram on the field together.  Just go back and watch game one of 2019.  The Denver receivers were struggling to pick themselves up after getting hit.  Abram and Joseph are scary for opposing receivers in the middle of the field, RBs will not be able to get to the edge, but will be scary for us over the top.  We can make it work but we currently have to two guys that let WRs get behind because they are too aggressive with wanting to make a hit.  Mistakes suck but we are going to have to except that if we want to create more turnovers and be aggressive.  As it stands right now Heath is number 3 for me and I am hoping Bradley can teach Abram and Joseph to play within the defense.  No matter what it is better than having Reggie Nelson back there.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

As long as we did not give Joseph a Kenyon Drake type deal we are good.  Right now I could not tell you who is the best safety on the team.  I am happy I will finally get to  see Joseph and Abram on the field together.  Just go back and watch game one of 2019.  The Denver receivers were struggling to pick themselves up after getting hit.  Abram and Joseph are scary for opposing receivers in the middle of the field, RBs will not be able to get to the edge, but will be scary for us over the top.  We can make it work but we currently have to two guys that let WRs get behind because they are too aggressive with wanting to make a hit.  Mistakes suck but we are going to have to except that if we want to create more turnovers and be aggressive.  As it stands right now Heath is number 3 for me and I am hoping Bradley can teach Abram and Joseph to play within the defense.  No matter what it is better than having Reggie Nelson back there.

2016 Reggie Nelson had 5 INTs.  The guy was a straight baller. 

(Sarcasm, would take those 5 INTs though)

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

As long as we did not give Joseph a Kenyon Drake type deal we are good. 

The mentality of scrapping the bottom of the barrel for average players and "we good." Doesn't work and hasn't worked in a long time. I don't mind Joseph as a rotational piece, I just think his skill set is redundant with Heath and Abram already in the fold. If Joseph and Abram are our starting safeties next season, we're in for another long year defensively. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But the same people who don't want ET are the same ones that want Richard Sherman. Thomas was one of the best safeties in the league in 2018 and 2019.

the reasons to avoid ET are very different than the reasons to avoid Sherman