Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

3 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

No but I'd bet real Money Megatron wishes he got to play in a superbowl let alone win one. I agree it is a completely personal decision as to how one chooses to value a career. I understand that people may decide based on money 76 million versus 44 million.

My point though is that the idea of choosing Edelmans career over Calvin Johnson's career isn't ludicrous and the premise does have merit. 

Yes it is and no it doesn't.

Sure, I bet he wishes he could've won a Superbowl. No, I don't think he would trade his career for Edelman's.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yes it is and no it doesn't.

Sure, I bet he wishes he could've won a Superbowl. No, I don't think he would trade his career for Edelman's.

The question is would "you" rather have Edelman's or Calvin Johnson's career. Not whether each other is envious or would trade careers with the other, or who was the better WR. We can agree to disagree on the matter.

Clearly you choose Calvin Johnson's career. I would prefer Edelman's. I am not a Patriot fan quite the contrary. Both are multi millionaires but I don't gauge career satisfaction on who has the most money. By the barometer I use one of two clearly has enjoyed more success at the team level than the other and was compensated well. In a nut shell I would rather have the career of  a multi-millionaire on a consistently successful/ competitive team of which I was a vital part, than that of a bigger multi millionaire on a consistently bad team despite how great I may be. Call me ludicrous, but one easily sounds preferable to me.    

9 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

The question is would "you" rather have Edelman's or Calvin Johnson's career. Not whether each other is envious or would trade careers with the other, or who was the better WR. We can agree to disagree on the matter.

Clearly you choose Calvin Johnson's career. I would prefer Edelman's. I am not a Patriot fan quite the contrary. Both are multi millionaires but I don't gauge career satisfaction on who has the most money. By the barometer I use one of two clearly has enjoyed more success at the team level than the other and was compensated well. In a nut shell I would rather have the career of  a multi-millionaire on a consistently successful/ competitive team of which I was a vital part, than that of a bigger multi millionaire on a consistently bad team despite how great I may be. Call me ludicrous, but one easily sounds preferable to me.    

Just because YOU would rather have that career doesn't mean it's a valid argument. Just like there's a bunch of people who think the Earth is flat, and everyone just laughs at them. Same concept here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Just because YOU would rather have that career doesn't mean it's a valid argument. Just like there's a bunch of people who think the Earth is flat, and everyone just laughs at them. Same concept here.

For all the reasons previously stated makes the argument valid. Simply because YOU cannot seem to grasp either the premise or the concepts that lead to the conclusion does not render the reasoning invalid. The Earth being round is scientifically provable. Your hard line opinion as to which career everyone should choose is not. You obviously have nothing nuanced to offer on this topic why bother commenting at all? 

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

For all the reasons previously stated makes the argument valid. Simply because YOU cannot seem to grasp either the premise or the concepts that lead to the conclusion does not render the reasoning invalid. The Earth being round is scientifically provable. Your hard line opinion as to which career everyone should choose is not. You obviously have nothing nuanced to offer on this topic why bother commenting at all? 

cool. Who is starting the Tom Brady vs Tim Hasselbeck thread next? Millionaire Backup Qb, played years in the NFL and then parlayed that to a TV job all without the stress of having to start and the insane # of hours that goes into it. GIve me T-Becks career all day over Bradys.

I think people are getting too caught up in the names too much

It’s really just a question of would you rather be a good player (but not HOFer) on a team that won multiple championships or a dominant player (and HOFer) on a team that never won a playoff game

I don’t think it’s a weird question at all. But it seems that way because all you see is Calvin vs Edelman.  I see both sides of it.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

You can't even compare the 2. Megatron is a 6'5 230 lbs freak of nature athlete; Edelman is practically half a foot shorter and spent his college career as a quarterback.

Megatron is "better", but there's no receiver I trust more to make a big catch in crunch time than Edelman. Imagine if you paired the 2 together.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I think people are getting too caught up in the names too much

It’s really just a question of would you rather be a good player (but not HOFer) on a team that won multiple championships or a dominant player (and HOFer) on a team that never won a playoff game

I don’t think it’s a weird question at all. But it seems that way because all you see is Calvin vs Edelman.  I see both sides of it.

So, basically it's whether you'd rather be someone like Brad Johnson/Phil Simms or Dan Marino?

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So, basically it's whether you'd rather be someone like Brad Johnson/Phil Simms or Dan Marino?

Dan Marino won plenty of playoff games, had a career record of 147-93, and made it to a Super Bowl, so not exactly.  Difference between not winning the big one and just not winning.

Between 2007-2015, Lions only managed 2 winning seasons.  Didn't win a playoff game in any of them.  In comparison, he had 5 seasons where they had double digit losses.  

Compare that to Edelman, who never experienced a losing season with New England (until last year) and won multiple championships.  Not only that, but he was a very good player for New England, so it isn't like we're talking about a back-up or someone who was just average.  

At the end of the day it is a matter of preference and what you value more.  I will admit, I'd have rather been in Edelman's shoes.  Make plenty of money and win lots of games while still being a big contributor to your team.  

I'm not saying that means I think Edelman had the better career.  I don't think you can credit team success to just one player, and you can only compare what each individual can control.  Calvin undoubtedly had the better career.  But if we're just asking ourselves what career (or situation for better words) we'd rather have, it is absolutely a fair question.  Because it isn't like Calvin just didn't win a Super Bowl.  His team never even won a division title, never won a playoff game (in the 2 times they made it with him), I mean they were often just bad to mediocre.  I don't consider it similar to Marino.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

You can't even compare the 2. Megatron is a 6'5 230 lbs freak of nature athlete; Edelman is practically half a foot shorter and spent his college career as a quarterback.

Megatron is "better", but there's no receiver I trust more to make a big catch in crunch time than Edelman. Imagine if you paired the 2 together.

Imagine if Megatron had a team that would help him actually get to the playoffs.

OMG, I can't believe this thread has continued

And that people are somehow suggesting that because Edelman was drafted to the Patriots instead of the Lions, that he had a better career than Calvin? The guy who averaged 3 TD per season with Tom Brady? The guy who put up 5,000 fewer yards despite playing 2 extra seasons? That guy?

Next you're gonna argue Nick Foles had a better career than Dan Marino?

Y'all are goofy, man.. who hurt you ppl?

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, Phinsesq said:

I too would choose 75 mil over a SB ring.... But I wouldn't choose 75mil over 3 super bowl rings and 44 mil.

Well, let's reconcile the equation here. $75mm is IN ADDITION to the $44mm Edelman made (Calvin Johnson made $119mm over the course of his career). 

So... the real math is as follows:

- $44mm, 3 SB rings, 1 SB MVP (Edelman).

- $119mm, 3 All Pro teams, One All Decade team, One Single Season yardage record, One HoF induction, one dope nickname (Megatron).

It's a no brainer to me, I'll take Megatron's career 100 times out of 50. Sure, he didn't win a SB - but let's not try to paint it out like he didn't have an incredibly distinguished career. He broke Jerry Rice' single season yardage record, he's on the 2010 All Decade team, he's got a bust in Canton - things that Edelman has zero chance to match because he simply lacked the skills that Megatron had. Sure, Calvin will never win three SBs, but that's because he was so good and freakish in college... he wasn't going to be drafted by a good team. He's a victim of circumstance at that point, you can't really derive a career based on happenstance such as that.

(He's also got a lot more money).

• Like 1