The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Teams do the opposite to Carr.  Didn't NE take away the check down and it completely stalled our offense.

Oh yea 100%. 
I just went back and watched the 12 min highlights of the Charger game, and Mariota did make some real nice passes. 
The RPO worked great, but dont know how much success wed have doing it all season. 
-
To beat Carr taking away the check down in key. 
When Waller or Renfrow are the checkdown the play is normally good, if his checkdown is elsewhere, its normally bad lol 

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He added an element to Gruden's offense that has been missing but you are correct that he did not have a good day passing.  His running did make the offense look better.  There were a few times where he was in a position that Carr would have just thrown it away and he turned into a positive play.  There is a compound affect when you pick up 3 yards instead of throwing it away.  Plus it should open up the throws down field when you scramble.  Carr is 10x the passer MM is and a better overall QB but MM's style looks better in Gruden's system. 

100% football is such a momentum sport. You can feel momentum just kill the Raiders at times. Seeing MM run definitely fired the team up 

We got the ball back with under 2min in the first half, and Gruden called crap plays which led to a 3 and out, Chargers got ball and scored a TD right before half, and then got ball after half. 
IF Gruden had some guts, we get aggressive and go for points to end the half. 

In  OT we got the redzone, and again Gruden got extremely conservative. With MM.. after seeing MM do a flip into the endzone earlier. Our D played pretty well this game, but in OT when they know they have to score I think we neede to play for a TD there instead of settle for the FG. 

Gruden just isnt a great play caller.

Edited by BackinBlack

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Oh yea 100%. 
I just went back and watched the 12 min highlights of the Charger game, and Mariota did make some real nice passes. 
The RPO worked great, but dont know how much success wed have doing it all season. 
-
To beat Carr taking away the check down in key. 
When Waller or Renfrow are the checkdown the play is normally good, if his checkdown is elsewhere, its normally bad lol 

I think one of the key differences between how well Carr and MM would do with this offense would be dependent on the defense.  If we have a lead I would probably want MM in there.  If we are playing from behind Carr is a much better option.  MM would probably do better just grinding it out and keeping the other teams offense off the field while if Carr can get into a rhythm he can put up points quickly if you do not hold him back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think one of the key differences between how well Carr and MM would do with this offense would be dependent on the defense.  If we have a lead I would probably want MM in there.  If we are playing from behind Carr is a much better option.  MM would probably do better just grinding it out and keeping the other teams offense off the field while if Carr can get into a rhythm he can put up points quickly if you do not hold him back.

honestly, I wish this is something we would do. 
Get a lead, and we know Gruden is going to get conservative. 
So lets at least throw Mariota in for a drive, and just run it every play and kill the clock. Catch teams a bit of guard / make them practice against it all week. 
We are paying the guy, might as well use him. 

• Like 1

100% football is such a momentum sport. You can feel momentum just kill the Raiders at times. Seeing MM run definitely fired the team up 

We got the ball back with under 2min in the first half, and Gruden called crap plays which led to a 3 and out, Chargers got ball and scored a TD right before half, and then got ball after half. 

In  OT we got the redzone, and again Gruden got extremely conservative. With MM.. after seeing MM do a flip into the endzone earlier. Our D played pretty well this game, but in OT when they know they have to score I think we neede to play for a TD there instead of settle for the FG. 

That is a huge complaint for me.  Having a very conservative coach and QB is not a good combination.  A QB that can run the plays but also create on the fly when it breaks down is what Gruden needs.  That is why Gannon was such a good fit.  You do not need a million dollar arm to succeed in Gruden's offense but you need to understand the offense to the point you know when to break the rules.  I think Fitz would be a great QB in Gruden's offense and you would get more out of his natural talents.  Where Carr you would get more if he was in a different offense.  

• Like 1

honestly, I wish this is something we would do. 
Get a lead, and we know Gruden is going to get conservative. 
So lets at least throw Mariota in for a drive, and just run it every play and kill the clock. Catch teams a bit of guard / make them practice against it all week. 
We are paying the guy, might as well use him. 

It could work similar to the Saints which I think Carr would be amazing in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

That is a huge complaint for me.  Having a very conservative coach and QB is not a good combination.  A QB that can run the plays but also create on the fly when it breaks down is what Gruden needs.  That is why Gannon was such a good fit.  You do not need a million dollar arm to succeed in Gruden's offense but you need to understand the offense to the point you know when to break the rules.  I think Fitz would be a great QB in Gruden's offense and you would get more out of his natural talents.  Where Carr you would get more if he was in a different offense.  

Yea and its frustrating cause Carr can run. He just doesnt. 
definitely agree with you though, they arent the best fit. 

to your other point, I do truly believe Carr would be ok with MM getting snaps. Carr wants to win as a Raider I do believe. 

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yea and its frustrating cause Carr can run. He just doesnt. 
definitely agree with you though, they arent the best fit. 

to your other point, I do truly believe Carr would be ok with MM getting snaps. Carr wants to win as a Raider I do believe. 

I would hope so especially after he said he would quit if he was traded to another team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

Nah I doubt they cut him on his birthday.

If I knew I was gonna be stuck behind Arnette on the depth chart, I'd be making sure the Raiders knew there were no hard feelings too lol

Edited by ronjon1990

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

If I knew I was gonna be stuck behind Arnette on the depth chart, I'd be making sure the Raiders knew there were no hard feelings too lol

Yeah the whole Arnett situation is going to be interesting to watch unfold.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, BackinBlack said:

I agree with a lot of this, gruden gets way conservative at the wrong times #1, in predictable ways #2, and without a legit defense #3. Hell, I only saw him use the ol spy set 2y banana once last year that I remember. And I remember several times when I wanted that call and it would’ve worked great. Especially if you use Waller as the decoy. That’s just one simple example. Many more for sure, and almost EVERYONE agrees with this.

• Like 3